Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

You have echoed my emotions. I have written a series of emails to her to bring her back and she perhaps had time constraints and a few other issues in returning to IL. Everyone of her posts were an illustration for me how to effectively communicate thoughts. I had an opportunity to exchange views after she left IL but even that stopped after a while. She is clear in her view but I am not giving up as yet. She is a treasure to hunt for and get back into IL.

Viswa

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You double-echoed my thoughts. I think she is the only person in IL whom everyone tried to bring back discreetly or collectively at some point. That itself is a testament to her esteem here. If one of us disappears, I don't think that much effort would be invested like we had invested in her return. But, she deserved it! She deserved that implore to bring her back. That's the reason I quoted, I wish I stood by her more stoutly, more vocally. I regret not mustering an unmistakable gesture of solidarity. Frankly, she wasn't even meant for this site. She was a notch above everyone. The only solace I have is may be she found more sensible folks since her exit. It's strange how we lose someone and there is so less one can do to convince them of that loss.

Also, I am afraid I don't want to bring her to the same old place where similar events repeat. That said, even her resolve to stay away is commendable. She is so committed! What can I say, I am fida over that unflagging commitment.

Thanks, for refreshing the memories with her mention.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

After reading your first response, I communicated with her mentioning about how passionately we remember her contributions through our posts here. Hopefully, this comradeship would win her heart and break her determination. Even if it doesn't, we both wish her to have better company of her caliber.

Viswa

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Knowing her, I doubt she will return. But then a lot of people have proved me wrong. I, for one, will be tickled pink if she were to prove me wrong.

Even if she returns, I don't know what will enthuse her anymore. I am not a regular in this forum. I have joined a private group in early 2017, something similar to E n G but more focused on science and technology discussions. You need 4-5 strong candidates to lead and steer such forums. EM thrived when Ansuya was around because she was passionate and also had the scholarship to foster the activity in the thread. The group I am in right now also has passionate and helpful people like her. That is very important for groups to sustain. Only difference being it is composed of men who send me in a spin with their wit and proficiency.

I have mostly cut back my activity here save for occasional inquiry like today. I enjoy nonsensical banter with Cheeniya, hence only active in his thread. My advice to you: there are scores of people on the Net with encyclopaedia on their shoulders dispensing links and references. But there are very few people like Ansuya who have the drive, compassion,and intellect to lead groups. If you come across any person or group like that, hold on to them, retain them in your life. They are invaluable in moulding you. Friendly conversations aid in learning than any remote low-hanging glossary. I have noticed how interest spikes with friendly conversations in my new group. That's all from me. I appreciate everything you have done today right from taking out time to respond to my query. I will see you around.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

sokanasanah likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra

I also want to add to this ongoing discussion about another equally passionate member who holds his own. I see a lot of Ansuya in Cheeniya again. They are formidable and mighty and irreplaceable in their respective steads. Don't get me wrong but if Iravati or Viswamitra poofs, there will be another Ira and Viswa who can seamlessly fill in. But Cheeniya is another soul who will be impossible to substitute like-for-like if he ever retires from amusing us with his chuckly writing. I think we should feel blessed that we come across these people in virtual world who create an impression even right from their first Wol-ish squawk. I feel you are similar to me in ways that we let people to impress us and make something constructive out of that impression.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  7. Viswamitra

@Iravati

Whenever we think of Cheeniya Sir, the words formidable and mighty come to our mind automatically. Other great qualities I found in both Cheeniya Sir and Ansuya are their willingness to educate through their wonderful writing without worrying about the class of people they are dealing with and their humility despite such stunning skill-set. Reading their writings results in learning more about cadenza.

Wait a minute! If Viswamitra is lost another Viswa will replace him but no Ira can replace Iravati. You are part of the educators like Cheeniya Sir and Ansuya. Motivation to write increases many fold by merely reading your musings wherever you decide to post.There isn't a day pass by without me admiring what you write here in IL. Even if you don't write for a period, I go back and read what you had posted earlier. You and S are blessings to E & PG. I wish you both have more time to write here in IL.

As far as I am concerned, I am a life-long learner of English be it additional vocabulary, sentence construction, grammar and many more. I am just a rat following the Pied Piper.

Viswa

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

It is not merely English as there have been few pointers in that direction in the recent past. I think — when I say "I", it includes few others including you — we also factor in the amicability and approachability of these forerunners that make them endearing. Certain camaraderie you share, certain liberty you take, and vice-versa offer them.

Are you sure you are a rat and not a mouse? Cheeniya justified why a mouse is better than a rat. If you are entranced by the Pied Piper, you better be a mouse to turnabout swiftly before the final plunge in the canyon.

I am conservative with my posting. Senile Rambling and EG are the only places I usually haunt because they are the only outposts where nonsensical ramble is endured. Now I should ask Cheeniya the difference between a "musing" and a "ramble". He might say, "Ira, musing is high-wire grind, don't aspire more than your toothy ramble."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  9. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

I just enjoyed reading what differentiates a rat from a mouse. I stand on two legs and hence I should be a mouse. I am also a worshiper of Lord Ganesha and hence I am afraid to call myself a mouse (The Lord's vehicle). I don't mind taking the plunge in the canyon listening to that wonderful tune reverberating but I will make sure I wear a life jacket.

Your Rambling Vs Musing question made me peep into the dictionary meaning.

Rambling - Lengthy and confused or inconsequential speech or writings

Musing - Reflection or deep thought

After reading your exchanges in "Quid Pro Quo with the Gods" snippet, I came to the conclusion that two of you are "Tigers in the Cow's skin" meaning musing under the pretext of rambling.

Viswa

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

We, tigers? He is an owl and I am a mouse. That is our animalistic fellowship. We don't aspire anything more loftier than that.

We ramble as our talk centres on the confused world around us. Mind you, we are not confused, however, we are enamoured of the disarray in the world. He is that one-fingered observer scratching his head and I am three-tongued apprentice learning the ropes. We are just silly beings. Surprisingly, I haven't connected with Cheeniya much in the past though we sporadically interacted on thread basis. I am afraid of elderly gents not knowing how to conduct myself with deference around them amongst other phobias I have on social interactions. But Cheeniya turned out to be a wol in owl's clothing*. That wol, however, turned out to be far charming than any formidable owl.

[*] : Owl and most of his friends believe that he is the most intelligent animal in the wood, but he is really quite scatterbrained. He often rambles on into long-winded speeches and uses words that his friends do not understand. Though Owl likes to present himself as very knowledgeable, like most of the other characters he does not spell very well—he even spells his own name "Wol".

Reference : Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Viswamitra likes this.