1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Good Samaritan In Real Life!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Aug 16, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

There are so many good souls living in the world, and it is important to recognize them and shape up our lives accordingly.

This is one important incident, that I could never forget in my life.

It happened a decade back. That was precisely when I passed out from my first university and eagerly looked for a job.
    After a series of written tests, interviews and reference checking, I was finally rewarded with a job.
    The HR invited me to sign the contract.
    I was called to their head-office, which was 5 hrs away from my city.

My mom was little worried to send me there all alone. She asked me to say some excuses, and wait for a couple of days till dad comes home. So that I could go with dad.
    The very thought of being independent and settled after finding the first job made me over confident. I was careless enough to brush off my mom's warnings; thus I planned my trip alone.
    Basically, I didn't wanna start my first job with an excuse.

It was the peak war time in Sri Lanka, so the whole country was on vigilance mode.
    Several check points, and military presence everywhere.
    If you belong to a minority group (not necessarily Tamil) you will be questioned for everything you do.
    White van abductions, and disappearance of people were reported almost daily.
    No one knew who is behind this, and the reasons behind them.
    This was the main reason behind my mother's worry. But nothing has stopped we Sri Lankans from living our normal lives regardless of these disturbances.

I boarded in a bus at 4 am, hoping to reach the destination at 9 am. Even though I wasn't familiar of the route to my work place, I hoped someone would help me to reach there on time.
    So, my journey started.
    The bus stopped almost all the main check points, and I was required to face body and bag checking each time by the military. I had my national identity card as a safety pass - which proved I was not living in the LTTE controlled region.

I met a common middle aged Muslim man at the bus, and we exchanged a few smiles to start with. Slowly, we chatted about these check point experiences, and clicked instantly. He helped me to find my office too.
    At office, I enjoyed each bit of "those first time" experience , as I knew the "first time" comes around only once in our life.

After this orientation, I took the work permit to join the office in my city from the next day onward.
    I was happy, satisfied, fulfilled and overwhelmed with emotions. Somehow, I did not notice the time, and it was already 4pm.

I went back to the bus station, and looked for the bus to travel back to my city. But I heard there will be no buses to my city till 9 pm.
    As advised by my parents, I went to one of our distant relative, who was living there. But for my fate, they were not at home.
    It was very risky to wait at the bus station during late hrs. Leave alone traveling in a bus that time.
    There were several instances reported against women at night.

I roamed around the city, hoping that I would find a way to go back to my home safely.
    Surprisingly, I found this Muslim man, whom I met in the bus earlier. I stopped my tuk-tuk and waved hi to him.
    He was a driver in an NGO, and he was there to claim back his office car after a repair. He was waiting at the service station.
    We discussed the problem, and he immediately offered to take me in his car as he returns.
    I thought he was going back anyway; thus helping me was no big deal. However, I welcomed his idea and felt relieved.
    But for our bad fate, the service station was closed at 6pm, and the car was yet to be fixed. Which means, this driver was expected to stay over-night in that city and claim the car the next day.
    It shattered me, and I was clueless as to what to do?

But he said, "lets go to the bus station, I shall accompany you to your home", as he didn't wanna leave me alone.
    I wasn't sure whether to accept his help selfishly or reject it foolishly as it was already dark.
    Even though I knew this man has to travel from 9pm-2am with me in the bus to my home, and claim his office car in the other city the next morning. This means, he will have to travel back almost immediately, owing to no sleep and no rest for the whole night. But I chose to be selfish and said "yes" to him.

We traveled together, and he was beside me as a huge strength on that night. We crossed several check points, and questioning from the military together before we reached home at 2 am. He accompanied me till my gate, and handed over me safely in the hands of my mom.

In that messy situation, I failed to ask his name or contact no. Not even the name of his NGO where he worked.
    I never got a chance to meet him again, after that fateful day.
    But I pray and wish for his health even today.

I was very young and immature back then to realize what was awaiting me in the new city when I chose to travel alone. But God sent me a guardian angel to protect me from all the evils that day.
    In fact, I did not lose anything but learned a lot in life on that day.

The next day, I started my first job with lot of clarity!!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

2. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Nice to know your positive experience and that too happened when you were in need!

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Since the beginning I have always been very positive about life. Somewhat, that positivism is the reason behind my normal life despite of so many rude shocks!

Suja9 likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Experience narrated very well.Your anxiety to reach home safe and your mother's anxiety in a tension filled Sri lanka is understandable.The help given by the Muslim Gentleman is worth remembering lifetime.This is what people call as'divine help' and 'deivam manushya roopena'God in the guise of man.
    Jayasala 42

sindmani, momsky, Mistt and 1 other person like this.
  5. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

Wow....this is awesome....You're blessed to encounter this angel ..

SGBV and momsky like this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Good to know that you got help when you really need and that to from a unknown person. Still good and helping (without expecting anything in return) people exist in this world but the only thing is percentage of that people decreasing day by day.

SGBV, sindmani and momsky like this.
  7. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Anxious moments ! I can well understand how agonising it must have been to your mother .
    So relieved to read that everything turned out well and your Guardian Angels sent that gentleman to help you .
    Consider yourself Blessed .

SGBV and Naari like this.
  8. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

The old man is god indeed... Such a nice soul.
    It's a nice proof to remember we are always protected by God

SGBV and Naari like this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Very true mam...
    Now a days, it is very hard to remember his face, but I always believe in God, and I say it was God who came to protect me that day.

Indeed, I was blessed.

Very true...
    Looking back my past, I've always got great helps from known and unknown people.
    Some were like this man, who came from nowhere only to help me. Strange, but I feel blessed!!!

Exactly... Now as a mom I could understand the pain and anxiety my mom would have faced because of my rebellious nature back then.

He was not that old that time. Perhaps in his early 40s.
    But, he was a gem and a nice gentleman.