1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Tomato Robbery

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

"GIMME ALL YOUR TOMATOES OR ELSE..."

Sounds familiar doesn’t it.? It is money substituted by tomatoes. In fact tomatoes have become that precious.

In Mumbai police are frantically looking for th felons who gypped couple of hundred kilos of tomatoes and in Indore wholesale market armed security guards keep an eagle’s eye on tomatos. Tomatoes aren’t forever like diamonds .They either perish or end up in our belloes in both solid and liquid forms. But still they are valuable enough to require armed security. They seem to be VIPs among vegetables and fruits.

I felt the pinch when I went shopping for vegetables this morning. When I said “tamatar” my vegetable vendor clutched his chest a. For a moment I thought the word had given him a heart attack. Meeercifully it was nothing of tht sort. He quickly recovered and looked mournfully at me.

“ I am thinking of giving up selling of tomatoes for sometime” he said. “It has become quite a risky business”.

“Why?” I asked.

“As you know, they cost the mmon nowadays. .People are asking whether I am a diamond merchant or vegetable vendor” he said. “But while the prices keep the people away, monkey bands that keep visiting this are have taken a sudden interest in tomatoes.They keep pouncing on my cart helping themselves to the juicy goodies and sit just nearby eating them throwing mocking looks at me”.

“I thought monkeys were only interested in bananas” I said.

“They don’t give a second look to bananas nowadays”.

The simians seem to have a keen sense of what is pricey. If the subziwalla began selling truffles and caviar they would probably switch over to them. That is thae advantage of being monkeys. They don’t have to pay for what they take.

Even humans seem to think that is a great idea. Hence the disappearance of tomatoes from Mumbai market and the vigil in Indore.

But the prices skyrocketing is not such bad idea. It could be helpful in fighting corruption. Any government employee who buys tomatoes should be investigated. The way the prices are shooting up, it is impossible to buy them with your monthly salary.

Also, politicians or officials guying tomatoes could face cases of having assets disproportionate to known sources of income. But these guys are smart. Soon they will strt stashing tins of sun-dried tomatoes, that have a long life in their Swiss-bank lockers.

Don’t be surprised if smart criminals plan a massive multimillion tomato heist nd get away with it. That will be one of the greatest crimes of this century. But to preserve all those stolen tomatoes, they would be compelled to to juice , pickle or sundry them besides making ketchups and sauces. That would lead to lot of employment generation.

Aw come on let us get serious shball we? How do we stop tomato thefts both by humans and simians? I think GM tomatoes are the answer. Some smart guys should come up with a cross between a tomato and a burglar alarm that would wail like banshee when someone touches them , reducing possibility of tomato heists.

umaakumar, Sunburst, kkrish and 5 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

My favorite while flying the long distant flights is Tomato juice. Are you telling me that I need to give up unless I am willing to pay for it? Monkeys eat Tomatoes? I would like to see their face reactions when they consume them. I couldn't stop laughing that one could be booked for disproportionate asset case if he buys Tomatoes. May be there will be an article soon telling everyone that Mrs. Sasikala is eating bread and Tomato sauce for breakfast, Rice and Tomato rasam for lunch and Tomato Pasta for dinner in Bangalore. Modi can ban Tomato consumption also along with higher denomination currencies to reduce corruption in high places. He can allow Tomatoes to be deposited into the banks and distribute only a few tomatoes every week per family.

Viswa

kkrish and Sandycandy like this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

4. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

Hahah!!
    Instead of onions, tomatoes are making people cry.
    Nicely written.:)

amunique, kkrish and Sandycandy like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Does that mean that the common man cannot even pelt rotten tomatoes at the corrupt politicians any more ? Bahut nainsafi hain !

Amica, Sunburst and kkrish like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa beware! Your tomato juice may become more expensive than premium decades olde whiskies. Suggest bringing down the price by adulterating it with vodka..Hope Modi hasn't red your fb. Otherwise he might adde a detmoatoisation.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The aavacado thieves certainly must be Mexicans, taking away the beloved fruit of their country from Trumpistan. This certainly justifies Trumps' proposal of a wall between US and Mexxico.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Poojashah thanks. Tomatoes are not just making people cry mildly many are bursting out shedding copious tears. But there are others who heave a sigh of relief. Me for example. The prices are so high that the wife won't add tomatoes to the food every day.

PoojaShah likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Switch over to eggs instead.They are cheaper. Rotten eggs could even come free. And old chappals are also an effective alternative.

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:tonguecrazy::lol:
    As usual your writing put that smile on my face @Balajee .
    Oh no, I am not smiling at your plight and spending your life savings for that red round thingy.
    Some years ago it was the onions, now it is revenge of the tomatoes.

:beer-toast1:
    Only you could come with this out-of-the-box thinking. Super idea.
    Sometime long I suggested you be the tourism adviser.
    You should now promote yourself to be adviser to the PM.