1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Wants To Keep My Gold At Her Place

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nakshatra1, Jul 25, 2017.

1. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

"As per her, whenever I visit them, I should be wearing considerable amount of gold in-case we decide to visit any of her relatives, since I am newly married. While that reasoning may be correct on her part,I am simply not comfortable leaving my gold at anyone's house."

Why you take hassle of bringing your jewellery to your ILs place. Let her arrange some jewelry for you at her place as she wants to show off to her relatives. You can very well leave that with her. In case your husband has a married sister, is her jewelry also kept with her MIL?

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

keep making excuses but don't give in.. Your parents must have poured sweat and blood to build this security for you... If you agree , your gold is gone forever

3. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Can you duplicate your jewelry as plated gold? give your mil the duplicates , keep originals with you..

Dishaa likes this.
  4. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

OP, its yor jewellery and you havebteh right to decide where to park it.

If you do not trust your MIL, let her know that you can take care of your jewellery yourself. Or just tell her that you would not know until the last minute, which piece of jewellery you would want to wear, so you would like to keep them with yourself. Or even if its not a matter of trust or distrust, if you would like to keep it with you, you do nit even have to give any reason for doing so.

My PIL's told me a couple of times that they have opened a locker just to keep my jewellery and asked me if I would like to do so. I told them that I would like to keep them with me. My MIL wants me to wear lots of jewellery when visiting their relatives along with heavy dresses or sarees. I did follow her advice for the first 1-2 years. But I dont care now. I wear a nice handloom kurta paired with a legging or salwar and my small black beads chain.

5. anumuralik

anumuralik Bronze IL'ite

While my scenario is nothing different than many dils around.... i have also given all my gold to my mil right after my marriage.... the night itself to be precise... I didn't say anything against nor she was so stubborn.... they kinda gave me an option to open a new locker the next day but I insisted using the one already existed because I trust her with my jewelry... and i also kinda dont wanna be in their wrong books on the first day of my marriage... but she kinda stood up to my expectations touchwood!! And thankfully i don't have sils :sweatsmile: :cheer:

So coming to the topic... trust her a little bit... I mean to say take into account of how she is asking you the jewelry. Is she stubborn or kinda okay with you safekeeping it. And trust your intuition the more!! If you think your mil is having any bad intention regarding your jewels i say raise your guard!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Dragon likes this.
  6. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Lots of discussions have happened in the past few days.This topic is raised by her every day.She is not at all ok to just have me wear the jewels to her city and get it back. She absolutely insists to keep it there with her. Now my husband accuses me of not trusting them. It's all a big headache.

7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

OP, sorry, you have to go thru this. It is a little hard when your DH doesnt support/understand you.
    Try explaining to him that it is not about trust but about security.
    The gold is a special gift for you from your parents, it is also a financial back up for you. We have faith in God but that doesnt mean we will not lock our doors at night. It is your duty to take care of the gold.

That said , if things are going bad with your DH , would you be able to make peace with keeping some of your jewelry with her? If you do, do make sure you let your husband know that you are doing this just for him and to keep peace. And that he is responsible for whatever you are going to keep there. If you do take it there, keep in locker, keep a neat record of what you have kept , take pics if needed.

If your DH is in general a nice man, it might be worth it to go the extra step to win his trust . Pick your battles, if need be lose a little to gain something more valuable.

IniyaaSri likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,you mil seems to be pretty shameless .

As for your husband ,do ask him why you are not trusted with your own jewelery.

Tell him you have a locker of your own...unlike olden days ,so why can' t you keep your jewelery with you and enjoy.

You can tell him you like jewelery and if your jewelery is not with you,he should be ready to make jewelery for you at regular intervals.

If nothing else helps...just give the jewelery you got from in laws . Rest ,tell them you will be wearing at your place.

If these mils dared to do this with any one else...it would be called dacoity. Taking valuables against a person's will.Shameless entitled women.

Dishaa likes this.
  9. anumuralik

anumuralik Bronze IL'ite

Op,
    If this jewelry is your only asset... I suggest you insure it. Do it first!!

If you think your marriage is being at stake because of this jewellery issue and you feel that your husband is a nice guy and is worth the sacrifice you make... hand over the jewellery to you mil but only after insuring it though.

If you think otherwise... just state your idea and be stubborn

Good luck!

Dragon likes this.
  10. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Well,why wouldn't your hubby lead by an example then? Suggest him to keep all his financial assets&documents with your father. Because your husband trusts you guys, right?

IniyaaSri likes this.