1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Hobbies – Free Time Friends

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Anusowmyan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Hobbies are our free time friends irrespective of age, when a friend is away or busy in his own work, then our free time friend will be a good companion. A hobby is an activity under taken for pleasure or relaxation in one’s leisure time. Hobbies are of five different categories.

1. Indoor 2. Outdoor 3.Collection hobbies 4.Competition hobbies 5. Observation hobbies.

Under each category comes a vast variety of task which one can engage himself in his free time without getting bored.

1. Indoor hobbies include: Calligraphy, acting, board games, candle-making, cooking, colouring, dance, drama, drawing, embroidery, flower arranging, knitting, magic, listening to music, painting, origami, playing musical instruments, reading, puzzles, scrap booking, sewing, singing, sketching, sudoku, stand- up comedy, writing & yoga.

2. Out- door hobbies cover: Astronomy, bird-watching, exercise, cycling, gardening, jogging, photography, running, sand-art,& shopping .

3. Collection hobbies are sub- divided into two sets; Indoor & Out-door. Antiquing, art collecting, books, card, coins, stamps, &stones comes within the range of indoor collection hobbies. Antiquing sea shells, metals, insects &flowers fall under the out-door collection hobbies.

4. Competition hobbies too are of two sub sections; Indoor & out door activities. Badminton, bridge, chess, debate, gymnastics, martial arts & video games fits into the indoor competition hobbies. Archery, beach volley ball, cricket, football, Frisbee, golfing, skating, squash, swimming & tennis comes under the out-door competition hobbies.

5. Observation hobbies are also in the two sub- sets; Indoor &out door forms. Fish-keeping & reading in the indoor observation hobbies were as travelling, meteorology &astrology in the out-door observation hobbies.

This list of hobbies will help to identify the interest & cultivate it or make sure to enrich the existing one. Encourage children to pick any one of these and permit them to pursue it. Hobbies help to grow well physically &intellectually. Hobbies stand by us through -out our life. So, choose your hobby soon.

Arunaravi, annmeevz, Deepu04 and 4 others like this.

2. Cielo

Cielo Bronze IL'ite

Absolutely!:thumbup: Learning a new language is my forte. Swinging is enthralling after watching Ryan and Emma in La La Land(swing dancing) :). Airbnb and Brunch club/Supper crew are in vogue here where I live currently.

3. Dragon

Dragon New IL'ite

My hobbies exploring new places and making new friends, snail mails.

drsmit7725 likes this.
  4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I love reviewing things, like products I use or books/movies I've read/watched.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

People watching. This article talks about how to begin this hobby and the uses and benefits: How to Begin People Watching

It can be done whenever one is waiting for something, such as in the car waiting for the stop light to turn green, in a function/performance where one is not interested in all the performances, check-out line at the grocery store.

When people-watching from one's car at a stop light, be careful so as to not cause a road-rage incident while stationary! At the grocery store, compare and contrast the self-check out line with the not-self-checkout line (the people, their expressions and body language). At functions where parents are gathered to watch their children perform, check who records the performance (mom or dad) and who watches it with the eyes rather than through a phone's camera.

And my favorite place to people-watch: Starbucks. To continue my search for an answer to this question: why would anyone pay $1 + sales tax for one banana? Often a sad looking one whose dark brown spots seem to multiply even as I watch it and the customers who pass it.

SCSusila and BhumiBabe like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana Well...there is always someone watching you...on IL it is called a "follow"ing.

here is a quote for you:
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    - Yogi Berra

PS <lifted from wikipedia entry on Yogi Berra>> Though very few of the quotes attributed to Berra are malapropisms, Berra's apparently unintentionally humorous statements have been mistakenly labeled as such by some writers.

7. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Rihana, thanks for sharing about "people watching". one more in the list of observation hobbies. Nonya nice reply.
    dragon stated about ' snail mails'- interesting ! cielo 's idea of learning new languages is a appreciable one. Bhumibabe- reviewing are always exciting &provides new experiences. I do book reviews only.

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

It is best to avoid the banana that is getting sweeter by the minute....when one is on a low carb/sugar diet.

here is the good-bad-ugly of the spotted banana. (excerpt from livestrong.com)
    Before you throw out a banana because it has turned brown and seems past its eating prime, consider the potential nutritional benefits it provides. A brown banana has a higher level of antioxidants than yellow or green, unripe bananas. It's also easier to digest for people with digestive ailments, including irritable bowel and functional abdominal bloating.

Nutrient Density
    A brown, yellow or green banana are all a good source of potassium, vitamin B-6 and fiber. As a banana reaches the brown stage, its concentration of antioxidants increases. Antioxidants are important in helping protect your body against disease-causing inflammation. As bananas turn brown, some of the micronutrients present do diminish. Store ripe bananas in the refrigerator to reduce this loss.

High Sugar

In brown bananas, the resistant starch has almost completely transformed into simple sugars. When you eat a brown banana, you're blood sugar spikes more quickly than it would when you eat a green one. Type-2 diabetics are thus recommended to avoid brown-spotted or fully brown bananas, which are mostly sugar. Less ripe bananas are healthier for people who are trying to cut back on sugar.

9. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Yes hobbies are very important specially as we grow older. Just today talking about this. It is important that we should have atleast three hobbies or interests and they should be of the different senses, like hearing music or creating something with our hands or reading or writing. This will definitely help us. Regards, Lakshmi Bhat

BhumiBabe likes this.
  10. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Without hobbies , life routines can become such a bore .
    I have always had hobbies , changing according to my aging !
    One hobby , unchanged , is reading .

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.