1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Give Me Some Suggestions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by meename, Jul 19, 2017.

1. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

Hereafter i ll try to work less .
    Right now i make poha or upma, rice , curry, poriyal , roti for kid , idli, chutney , omlet , sundal , tea , milk for night. . In a day i make these many items - 10 to be precise. After making these many items he was saying i m not cooking much . That too he told these words wheb i had fever.
    I ll see how i cam reduce things n i ll try to store ( i used to do it occasionally.)
    The main problem is he demands like . Say if i make briyani he wont eat without kurma . If i make lemon rice. He wont eat without sambar etc.
    I ll figure how to prepare lesser items

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What did he cook when you were away in those 5 months?
    Are they typical Indian hot and fresh foods 4 times a day? or some simple food 1-2 times a day and the remaining were from outside?
    If he says that cooking is easy since he has done that before, then do how he has done it.
    I assume, your man must have cooked 1-2 meals, and stored the remaining in fridge for the next 2-3 days, and ate out or brought take away food for the remaining meal times.
    If that's what he means easy cooking, then you too do the same.

Of course he would criticize you, complain and what not. But ignore. Do what you can.
    If I were you, I would cook in bulk for once, and store them in fridge. Perhaps in different containers for different days. I would ask my family members (except for young kids) to microwave the containers as they please.
    Cooking for 3-4 times a day can be very very tiring. You must learn to say NO to such unrealistic expectations.

My MIL was forced to cook 4 times a day, that too during odd hrs as FIL pleased. Her 3 sons did not bother at all about her health or physical conditions, but demanded her to cook for them too.
    Eventually she has accepted it, and learnt to cook/clean and do all the chores quickly.
    So, none of them at their house thinks being a house-wife is tough. They take her for granted.
    At the age of 60, she is still expected to perform all the duties, while the other 3 men in her house would watch TV all the day and still complain body aches, tired; thus take frequent naps during their vacation to MIL's place.

MIL thinks all the women should be like her. She thinks her inability to say NO to FIL then and there was a good behavior. Thus, if we or any women say NO to such ruthless demand, she would criticize them. She believes a women should slog in the kitchen and do sewa to her family members no matter what. If a women fails in this aspect, she takes it as an inability; hence criticize.
    Her children believe this to be true, so no amount of clarification opens their eyes.

However, we (the DILs of their family) say NO. A plain NO when such demands happen.
    Because we have never seen a slave like women in life before. We pity for MIL, eventhough she is proud about her skills.
    Initially they criticized us, blamed our upbringing and complained to the world as if we are lazy. Who cares.
    We practiced what is normal to be practiced in a house of a modern working woman.
    As I told you, I cook in bulk, store in fridge, or opt for take away meals since I won't cook 3 times daily.
    If I am sick or extremely tired, then someone else cooks (H) or we buy outside.
    Since it is the practice for the past 9 years, my H adopted to this.
    Of course he did show reservations initially, but he also sees other working women na.. if not, I would show him other families to put some sense.

Whatever it is....
    Learning to say NO when it is necessary is the only solution to your problem. Don't hope that your H will realize or empathyse with your problem. He is not wired, and such values are not inherited in his blood either

Deborah and shreepriya like this.
  3. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

He used to cook 2 meals a day .. n use it next day .
    I use chutneys n sometimes curry the next day.
    My situation is like ur mil. Moreover after doing all these , he often says that i m sitting simply at home ( when we fight , he says this)
    His job is very relaxed . He works 7 hrs a day n not working after coming home .
    He never takes kid to park etc . Just relaxes watching mobile whole day . But keeps shouting house is not clean . So i ve to cook , do all things for child , arrange things.
    I used to get tired doing cooking , managing child . I cld nt arrange things much . Hence he used to pinoint often . I used to explain calmy that it is your house too . For that he says u r a house wife . He plays the house wife card often .
    Make poha - oh poha , make omlet along with it.
    Make upma - oh no , upma . Cant u make dosa
    Make rice , curry , poriyal - oh made only these for this much time !!!
    Make coconut chutney - dont make coconut chutney, make onion tomato chutney . He does not allow to do coconut chutney . He wants me to make chutneys which takes 30 mins to make
    No evening tiffin - gets angry n frustrated
    No grated coonut . He buys only fresh coconut . But never helps in grating it .
    Needs tea 4 times a day but never ever washes tumblers or tea vessels.
    Recently to manage all these i started learning more 5 min recipes n started doing it. I feel he s irritated with that too . He wants me to prepare lots of veggies but no help in anything.
    If i say no to anything, he keeps on saying u r house wife - you ve to coook properly , keep house neat , take care of baby .i ve 10 hands , u see.
    Last 4 days i was so angry on him . Yet so solution found . I ll try storing n see how it goes ...

4. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

Once a week we buy briyani n use it for lunch or dinner. At that time also , i cook for my daughter as she does not eat spice . So basically my kitchen works non stop.
    U know , after all these comments , he blames me that i m in kitchen all time . I m in kitchen after he comes office . When he is at office, i try learning technology n do only washing vessels .
    If i do cooking when he is away , he ll talk as if i dint do a single work .
    This attitude of his was there when i was on job too . That time i used to cook till 11 at night but used to eat out sometimes .
    But at that time too , laundry , cleaning everything was on my head .
    Basicallt he thinks guys are kings born to enjoy life

5. Light

Light New IL'ite

The problem is not the chores but your way of handling a disappointing period in life.

I know women who have had it more difficult than you.

One suggestion for you. Start meditating.

What did you see in this man to marry him?

blissfulmember likes this.
  6. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Just asking!!

1. What would be his reaction if you do not pay attention and react when he says the house is not clean? I would say, Let him do the cleaning if he feels the house is dirty or messy or simply ask him to wait until you do it. Let the house be a little messy, no big deal! Clean and arrange stuff only when you have time.
    2. Would your husband starve himself, but still not eat if you do not make all the dishes that he orders you to make? Did you ever tell him that this is it and that you are not going to go into the kitchen again as you are busy with the kid? Tell him that you will prepare the sides some other time and adjust with what you made.
    3. Regarding cooking for the kid when you order takeout from restaurants, You could order another less spicy dish for the kid, but it probably takes about 30 min - 1hr to prepare for the kid which should be ok I believe.

7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, sorry to say that your husband is behaving like this because you are allowing him to do it.. you are jumping with his tunes.. he knows well that he can show all his tantrums because you care & follow it . Now the controlling string is in your dh's hand, you have to take it back.

Stop dancing with his tunes. Learn to say NO or ignore his demands.Do whatever you can do . If he plays house wife card again, neglect it... create an attitude like this is what I can do, If he wants more service hire a servant. .. you are his wife not servant... develop dont care attitude to shouting arguments demands ets..

If he request you nicely then do additional favour... if he orders you don't follow it like a servant... he is your husband not your boss..

If not you will be like till the end..
    Arise awake and do your best , but pl don't bend in to unreasonable demands.. you need to stay strong and firm , be calm and cool.. fighting back or arguing won't help

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

Gals , i ve written a schedule . Will try following it and ll try storing more. Thanks for advises. It means a lot to me . I wanted to vent out. Also recently i was very frustrated as he was sleeping full time on bed. Still i am frustrated but i ve decided to focus more on myself instead of wasting my energy.

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I think you should reduce your cooking, make oatmeal for breakfast. Cook chapatis, poriyal, whatever in the morning enough for the rest of the day. For cleaning vessels, don't you guys have a dishwasher?

10. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

I very much agree with you about the MIL reasoning.Nowadays they want an educated woman as DIL but she should be able to work at home as this is the only thing she was brought up to do. And the husbands who have seen their mothers toiling away think it's no big a deal for his wife to do the same coz that's what wives are supposed to do.