1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Breakfast Options In United States

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by BeingSoulful, Jul 21, 2017.

1. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

I have been in the US for 2 years. While I was India I relished the variety of breakfast served. After I moved here I found my DH doesn’t eat Indian breakfast on weekdays. So I dint want to make Indian breakfast just for myself. We mostly eat cereals with nuts (different ones) or bread (mostly with Nutella or peanut butter). The amount of sugar we consume in the day is too high (hubby a sweet-tooth doesn’t let go any).

I am working full time & hardly get about an hr in the kitchen for cooking, cleaning after work & long commute. So, making sandwiches in the morning are out of my list. Please suggest different healthy breakfast options or combinations.

Thank you in advance :)

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oats in some form or shape always work for me. Rolled oats and instant oats can be prepared in minutes in a microwave. Steel cut oats are healthier but take about 20 minutes on stove top. If you are short on time you can cook the oats the previous night, and warm up in a microwave with some water or milk in the morning. Top with your favorite fruit and nuts combo. I like banana+walnuts, fresh peaches + maple syrup, berries + vanilla protein powder. I don't add sugar on top but you could always do that. Overnight oats are another variation that can be prepped the night before and eaten straight out of the refrigerator. Here's a recipe.

If the sweet flavors get monotonous, oats khichdi is a savory alternative. In a pressure cooker add steel cut oats, frozen veggies, peanuts, curry leaves, your favorite masala, salt and water. Takes about 10 minutes in an electric pressure cooker. The recipe is easy to adapt to your personal preferences. By the time you get dressed for work you will have oats khichdi ready.

Fruit and veggie smoothies are an ever popular breakfast option. You can find hundreds of recipes on Pinterest.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Our goto breakfast on weekdays:

-Egg veggie omelette
    - Overnight oats (1 tb oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 spoon greek yogurt, 1 tb honey or maple syrup, any fruit all combined put in the fridge, in the morning you can just add some more milk and eat, this is filling no prep in the morning)
    - warm oatmeal (if you have instant pot, it wont take your time at all)
    - whole wheat bagel with cream cheese or plain omelette
    - lentil crepes (like cheelas with grated veggies, needed before night prep)
    - sauteed paneer and mixed veggies
    - Cottage cheese spread on a toast
    - toasted oats bread with honey
    - cereals is last option

Along with the above, we add a fruit and milk (coffee for adults)

hope this helps.

Sravani

4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Oats are very healthy and we eat quick 1 minute or oat bran along with flax seeds powder and variety of fruits toppings like bananas and all sorts of berries for kids. It will keep you full for a few hours . You can also make oats idli , dosa or upma.

Another healthy option is instant rava idli. I add variety of veggies in it to add nutrition and fibre . You can place it in the idli cooker and by the time you get ready for work, your idlis will be ready .

Brown bread upma is also quick and can be made as per your taste. Just throw in some precut veggies ,spices , bread and you have a healthy breakfast ready . Doesn't take more than 5 minutes .

Veggie sandwiches . Just keep boiled potatoes ready the night before or if you want to skip potatoes, just add cucumber, tomatoes , little bit of butter and chutney . Or plain old bread toast

Smoothies of different kinds .

Dosas and upmas but I find it time consuming if I have to stand there and make dosas.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Title of the thread, (referring to our inner selves?), sounds pretty metaphysical.
    No need to do it in the morning. Do it at night before you go to sleep.

7. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

Nonya likes this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Why edit a clever headline ?
    In Newspapers, and Copy for advertising, professionals work so hard to get a clever headline. And sometimes, we get one accidentally. When this happens, it ought to be preserved. I like the IL policy to stop people from editing their good first drafts.
    Naturally, I was LOL by your mention of making-sandwich as an option for breakfast.
    More recently I read a thread-title that went "Husband Verses Parents" with an OP of a husband who does not particularly like her parents. This is another clever headline -- implying how poetic the husband gets when assailing her parents.
    Such things should not be edited away, but enjoyed for the nifty turn-of-phrases in them.

Naari likes this.
  9. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi

If you like Indian breakfast you can try this.

Have idly/dosa batter ready in weekend.

Keep idly and do other work. (In 10mins your breakfast is ready) you can have it with chutney/molaga podi.

If you have griddle in 5mins you can make 2 dosa. I sometimes do egg dosa or onion dosa with pickle or chutney podi.

Pongal also is 5 mins work for preparation if you have pressure cooker..

I do above things in 15mins mornings n dh eats it in train on way to work.