1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations For Cloth Sanitary Pads In India

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by blackbeauty84, Jul 21, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Anyone using cloth sanitary pads here? I want to explore the option so looking for brand recommendations and feedback on it.

Kukudukuu likes this.

2. poi098

poi098 Bronze IL'ite

There are 2 brands that I know of (and have used) - Eco Femme & Femy (sold by Nurture Healthcare), both sold on Amazon or their own website. I am sure there are few other brands also, you can check on Amazon.in

Eco femme is a corporate brand that’s more trendy, Femy is small scale industry which helps women get employment.

The reason I went for cloth pads is because of the awful consequences of using use-and-throw napkins which are full of chemical and bleach. I read they are bad for your reproductive organs and not so healthy in the long run. It MIGHT affect your fertility. You also get more PMS and cramps because of the chemicals present which act as a kind of “vaccum”, sucking the air out of your vajayjay. This leads to more rashes and infection. Tampons are even worse as they are actually inserted INSIDE you!! There are many many women vocalizing their LOVE for cloth pads and how its more airy and freeing. There are youtube channels dedicated to this cause. There are girls who hoard hundreds of clothe pads because they are “sooooo cute”. So I bought a few cloth pads , knowing that in one cycle, you need atleast 10-15 pads . you can’t alternate between just two pads, as their drying time is higher.

Clothe pads were used by our moms or grand moms in their generations – but now its making a come back , with many women opting for it. The pads that we get today work a li’l different than older generations. The pad is made of multiple layers of clothes (the inside layers are super absorbent – tower type materials) and the top is a soft cotton layer. There is a clip button at the bottom to secure it on your undie. The way you use it is you secure it , use it for a few hours (around 5 hours). Once you are done, you can rinse it under cold water first (hot water stains clothes), run it under water squeezing it until the water colour is pure , and then wash with a soft detergent. Dry it in the sun preferably , otherwise normal air dry is ok. You can use it for years and years together, until the cloth has torn or stained.

My experience with cloth pads has been quite positive. It was definitely a better feeling down there , better than use-and-throw napkins. It DID feel more airy, and believe it or not, I had lesser cramps and PMS (maybe its in my head , but I did feel the same over many cycles) . I also noticed I had lesser “clots” . Again – might be just in my head. The way you use it Of course its not all hunky-dory, there are many cons as well – like you can’t use it for the whole day esp when you are in office and no access to “wash” the pads – and you obviously don’t want to wash it in your office restroom.

Pros –

Eco friendly – no chemicals
    Feels more “airy” down there
    Less PMS, cramps , better for your vajajay
    Method of disposing of these disposable pads is highly dangerous & unsanitary - Landfills are a huge problem because of pads
    It takes 500-800 years for ONE disposable pad to decompose - think about that, one less pad would be super start too!!
    Cheaper in the long run

Cons –

You have to wash it immediately, you don’t want to store a blood soaked cloth lying around!!
    Some people might find this process of washing menstrual blood disgusting – I don’t , I think its very natural
    Can use only for a few hours , depending on your flow – 4 to 6 hours
    It WILL leak if you put it on for a longer time
    You can’t wear it at night – atleast I can’t , because I keep turning from side to side all night. It did stain my undie.
    Less convenient than use-and-throw pads
    Not recommeded if you are travelling long distance
    It is a bit bulky – just a bit

I don’t use it fully yet. I use it only on the fourth and fifth day when my flow is much less. If I am at home and have access to change it then I use it on the first 3 days otherwise if I am in office, I wear use-and-throw ones.

I think it’s a good option if you are looking for an alternative from chemical ladens pads. I know few peeople who are allergic to the chemicals in these pads, hence they opt for cloth pads. Another option is menstrual cups - which I have no experience in, but I hear they are good too.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you! You cleared all the doubts i could possibly ask. I'm going to order couple of them to just try

4. poi098

poi098 Bronze IL'ite

Your welcome :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Do review it here / update it here, so that we all can have your opinion / views as well

5. aswathyk

aswathyk Gold IL'ite

Hi

Actually this is a information for me. I also buy one for trail