1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Things you wished your inlaws would know......

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ennaye, Apr 18, 2009.

1. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Priya,

I get your point now and I do agree.

I feel Indian women try too hard and just 'bend' more and more to make the marriage work.

Even in Indus ladies, we see so many postings of women who are trying really hard and making all kind of adjustments and changes to win over the hearts of their husbands and ILs.This is a good thing if their husbands appreciate their efforts and do the same thing for them also.
    But the problem I see is that in majority of the cases, this is a one-way street where wives keep bending more and more(and someday reach the breaking point) and husbands just take them for granted or expect that in Indian culture,it is part of a wife's duty.

Be it marriage or work or any scenario in life, letting others take you for granted will definitely lead to problems going forward.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  2. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Frankly, the point seems to have been to bait posters. Not to mention, it was INCREDIBLY insulting towards DILs because apparently we will not be satisfied even if our MILs were SUPER MILS who go out of their ways to bend over backwards to accommodate us, their *UNGRATEFUL*, unappreciative, DILs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. Nightingale

Nightingale New IL'ite

hi everyone

nice post
    good to ask some one what you expect from your MIL.but here what i believe practicaly that don't expect any thing from any one.We really get heart when we expect from others and our expectation never get fulfilled

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In addition, this has not been an isolated occurence that just happened in this one thread. Regular readers can see a pattern of bait and switch across threads.

I also found it extremely insulting, condescending and patronizing towards DILs.

Rihana

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. Bluelagoon

Bluelagoon Senior IL'ite

Old thread, but great points from dils still relevant 7 years later ! :)

I will add one.
    Don't expect Dil to be a clone of yourself when you first got married. Esp when there is ~35 years age Gap with Dil. Also, don't instill this silly expectation/desire in ur son that u shd b blueprint for how Dil acts as a wife.
    Showing love to son is fine, treating son as God n waiting hand n foot is not, especially expecting Dil also to do same. Allow couple to show love in their own ways, build there own traditions.
    Ok, I LL stop now. Ha.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  6. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

simple and straight your DILs are not clone of each other.. Everyone has their own quality and style . Don't expected them to carbon copy of each other . Live and Let live !!

Sandycandy likes this.
  7. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

DIL is also a human being made of flesh and blood and has emotions just like you have. She also has notions of respect and expects to be treated with same. She is also a daughter just like you have your daughter.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

What is a super MIL ? One that wears a dupatta for a cape and granny panties over her churidaar pants ?

Deborah and pinkgal like this.