1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Yesterday got up at 6.30 am
    6.30-7=morning duties, yoga
    7-7.30=Set the rice cooker with dal and veggies that needs to be boiled, set idly cooker, boiled drinking water for kid, cut veggies for curry and sambhar and did tadka for curry when idly had steamed while cutting veggies
    7.30-8=prep brinjal curry and made tamrind pulp ready, by then rice cooker was done and then made sambhar in that burner, while the water had boiled made rasam in the induction and prep kanji for kid
    8-8.20=packed all boxes and called out for the kid and H to wake up and by that time maid had come, so cleared cookers, other vessels for her and went to carry kid off the bed..
    8.20-8.45=brush, feed kanji to the kid and pacify him with his morning tantrums and how he should goto school and explained i need to goto office(daily explanations! :) )
    8.45-8.55=got ready and tried to book a cab, and in vain..getting a ola ride in the morning peak hours in Bangalore is like an achievement in itself!! no cab so further delay...
    8.55-9.07=went and stood outside to find a cab/auto
    9.07-9.35=travel to office (since got delayed carried my bf to office and had it by 9.50am)

nowadays im daily carrying bf to office/eat bf in office by 10am..in the morn before leaving home will have milk and water and left over kanji of my kid..

kkrish likes this.
  2. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes I do think that we ladies get up so early but when it comes to eating BF ,we always delay it to the maximum..I never find time to eat BF at home lately..And while travelling i feel damn hungry and after reaching office also , i cant immediately rush to the cafe, so further delay in eating.. I have observed that my morning first food gets delayed daily due to some or the other reasons.. getting up half hour early is not practically possible as we all will have some or the other constraints, so im already in the process of finding a way to have BF by 8.30am!!!

Any such experiences , ladies???? :)

kkrish likes this.
  3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@BDivya

Have something while preparing lunch n bF..

From ur menu U can have 2 - 3 idlis.. while cooking food only..

kkrish likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@BDivya ... @sonal1611 has given a good suggestion.
    First put idli in steamer and then put rice in cooker, etc. After cutting veggies.. by this time the idlis should be done... have the idlis, before starting other work - one or two.

Some other options:
    If you like oatmeal smoothies, make them the night before and have them in the morning. Have small sips as you go about your work.
    You can also make oatmeal kanji at night - heat it in the morning and drink it as you go about your work.
    Have a fruit and take small bites as you cook.

SriPriya123 likes this.
  5. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Ya spend 5-10 minutes in peace and have, while still food gets cooked in background.. Keep a timer on phone if need be.. It will give you more energy for daily tasks. I cannot eat in hurry, I will eat a lot of food if I do so.. So these days I try to eat without distractions

6. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@SriPriya123

I will suggest keep One clock in kitchen and keep it 10 mins ahead of exact time.. Thats what I do.. so atleast even if I am late.. atleast I wont be too much late..

SriPriya123 and kkrish like this.
  7. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for ur tips ladies! I am going to try oats tip and try to eat while cooking..

and someone said to keep clock 10 mins ahead..actually i have tried this, but believe me, our minds are too clever that every time you look into the clock u ll automatically sub 10 mins frm the current time!!! :)

Bubbles, SriPriya123 and kkrish like this.
  8. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

I always plan my menu for the week while doing the shopping.
    Most of my menu are in such a way one that either of the food must be pleasing to DH or DD.
    For example, if a make a aloo sabji ( fav of DH) I make a sambar for DD so that they dont have to comprise.
    My hus prefers only chappati for lunch and my DD only rice. So have to find sabji which is mid way.

Coming to my breakfast, I have started storing less sugar cornflakes, oats ready to eat snacks etc.
    I make my own mixture, adding little oil, peanuts, corn flakes, oats etc which can be stored for several days.
    I also like a lot of curry leaves (unlike all other family members) and add them generously to my mixture. To ensure I am not deprived of snacking, I also add little spicy sev, banana chips, butter muruku ( what ever available in the snack shelf but very little in qnty) then some dry fruits. Yummy...

kkrish likes this.
  9. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

@BDivya just now posted my BF menu.
    Actually i pack my BF the previous night itself.
    Mrng while doing the chores u add a spoon start eating and sipping ur tea/coffee.
    Whenever we are late in waking up, wat my hus do, he will sleep for more time and wait until i return from bathroom.
    Then he will go for quick bath, skip pooja and car wash ( wat a convenience) and make me further late by ten min.
    His explanation is already late hai na??
    So wat i do? I dont skip my tea/coffee with FB. I do scroll the updates and sit with coffee for 5 min.
    This 5 minute is my me time in the mrng after working in the kitchen from 5.
    I cant go for a bath after sweating so much and want to relax for few minutes before heading to shower.
    Why should we do so much sacrifices???

kkrish likes this.
  10. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    This week menu
    Sunday
    1. Fasting
    2. Sambar rice and carrot peas
    3. Veg Manchurian with naan

Monday
    1. Idli pudina cilantro chutney
    2. Eggplant gravy, bottle gourd kootu, tomato rasam.
    4. Mushroom chapati

Tuesday
    1. Idli with yesterdaychutney
    2. Carrot rice with fryums
    3. Green peas gravy with Chapati

Wednesday
    1. Dosai with coconut chutney
    2. Channa biryani and bhoondi raita
    3. Masala chapati

Thursday
    1. Paniyaram with onion chutney
    2. Vathal kuzhambu with cabbage kootu
    3. Dosa with onion chutney

Friday
    1. Poha puttu
    2. Sambar with carrot poriyal
    3. Veg upma

Saturday
    1. Pasta
    2. Lentil ball gravy with beetroot curry, rasam
    3. Same as lunch

kkrish, BuviVishal, tcbhuvana and 3 others like this.