1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to carry Wet grinder to US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by PoornimaS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. PoornimaS

PoornimaS New IL'ite

I shall start a new thread for another question as well.... request your suggestion for that too.....

2. Ushajax

Ushajax New IL'ite

Hi, my name is Usha and I am relocating to US this month end to Jacksonville FL. I saw some interesting conversations on wet grinders and also realise that these have been few years back. Do I need to get wet grinder and a mixer from India or can we buy it in US itself? If so will Amazon, eBay work or do you recommend any particular sites to buy these. Pls suggest

3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

You can buy them through amazon.. check to see if the prices are comparable.. there are other indian sites available too, amazon warranty is probably safer.. too much hassle bringing them from India.. you might as well bring other stuff that you need.. you pretty much get all spices and Indian stuff here, so unless you need homemade masalas you should be fine..

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Ushajax

Ushajax New IL'ite

Thanks a ton for your quick revert, that really helps. How about a mixer? Same concept applies for it too? Also I was told that buying Children's clothes are very economical there rather than buying & carrying it from here. What's ur take on that? Also pls share any insights on what r some on the musts that I need to carry from here. I have packed all my custom made masalas in zip lock covers [double covered zip lock packing] will these reach safely? Or any other advise to pack stuff from here?

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Buy the grinder and Indian mixer on Amazon. They have excellent customer service. If you are in a place with a large Indian population you might find it in the desi stores too. Many, many years ago my parents brought the grinder for me in their luggage but it is not necessary these days.

Sandycandy and Ushajax like this.
  6. Ushajax

Ushajax New IL'ite

Thanks a ton Another question on Tanarind. Should I get tamarind from here or can I buy it there? I was told that the tamarindthere s of a slightly different quality and not as good as the Indian ones. Any idea on that?

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

US customs does not allow food items to be brought into the United States. If you were truthful in your customs declaration, those masalas will be taken away and tossed into the pile for incineration.

On the positive side, you can buy all those items in USA from Indian grocers. Don't hassle yourself in bringing any food items (anything that you'd eat, drink, etc) that are not commercially packed--- like duty-free shop chocolates.

If you plan to lie on the customs declaration form (see the form in the link below), well... there is a range of scenarios... from you-can-get-away-with-it to having-the-terrible-bad-luck-to-be-chosen-for-a-thorough-check.

Good luck.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP Form 6059B English (Sample Watermark).pdf

8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Sandycandy and Nonya like this.
  9. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Usha,

Depends on the age of your kid.. summer dresses from India is a good idea..but you can get a lot on sale here and they hold up well in the washers than the ones you buy from India.. but definitely pack all that fits so you dont have to shop immediately..
    Some of the stores like carters and gymboree have really good deals very often..

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can buy tamarind pulp in either the Indian store or any Korean/Thai/Asian store. It is of good quality with no seeds. Ready-made tamarind paste is available everywhere. I would focus more on getting utensils like idli and dhokla plates, paniyaram pans, Indian-style pressure cooker or pressure pan, dosa tava etc if you usethese items.

Sandycandy likes this.