India Trips - Most Favorite/ Least Favorite Parts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Whoa PT! Seriously? My not so dear DH didn't allow me ride my kinetic, not once in the years we moved back. It's Dad's car for me and even that the DH hogs when he is around. We do have friendly auto guys around and I'm usually auto bound.
    Girl your post is so vivid that I want to go Golu shopping in Mylapore. I'm only used to saris and the like. Didn't even know about the Golu.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So many nice lists. Luckily, I am over the phase where reading them makes me homesick. Home now is where the mortgage is. : )

I've been helping some pals through their meltdowns... the kind associated with so much to do before leaving for the trip... : ) Some drop off house plants for me to look after, and oh my God.. so many instructions. I bite my tongue and not ask 'please tell me these are insured.. : ) I drew the line at taking care of fish... Plant dies.. mom cries. Fish dies, the kids cry!

==============
    General question -
    When entire family is going to India, do your friends drop you off to the airport, or you take a shuttle/Uber? Meaning - do you and your friends have the tradition of dropping off each others' families to the airport, and picking up?

We used to have this with a few friends. Dropped them, picked them. They did the same for us. We used to even do some basic grocery and stock their fridge before India-party returns, so there is milk, bread, onion, tomatoes, butter... in the fridge. Even made some rice and sambhar or idlis and kept it on their dining table..!!

Now, not so much.

Sandycandy and radv like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Did you eat lunch with me on Friday? Hmmm.... Fishy fish conversation!

Used to drop and pick up from the airport, do grocery, take the day off and cook etc.
    Now, not so much(Becoming too Americanized) . I water my neighbor's plant and remove the news paper from her front yard. She would do the same for me.

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

same with us. I take care of outdoor plants and keep an eye on the driveway.. but no cooking.....

maybe that is why we also stopped getting Indian khaara/meetha to give to friends.! All of us.. just don't get edible stuff any more.. too much hassle.

Laks09 likes this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Haha, yeah!! Everyone knows better than to prevent me from riding my dear Scooty. Initially, the only condition they had was that I should never take the kids on it, but of course I did not heed!! When we go to India, usually my kids and my sister's kids are there at the same time and since I ride the Scooty there, I become really popular with them!! Every kid wants to come with me even if I go out to just buy stuff that my mom has run out of. My older one usually comes with me holding me tight from behind. My younger one, my husband usually would ride pillion and hold her behind. The kids only come on short distances. Of course, the news that I took the kids on a Scooty ride spreads pretty quickly among my extended family and there's my aunts always calling my mom to advice me to be careful and how the Madras traffic is not the same as before.... yada... yada... yada.....

Neither my parents or in-laws own cars back in India.. so for us it is either Ola/Uber or Auto or the ever reliable PTC bus. The Madras bus network is pretty well-connected. Since we live within walking distance from the main bus stand, we get point buses and empty seats on those buses. When I go to India, I fit right back in... I never seem to need adjustment time! Thankfully, my children seem to do pretty well too... as in they are able to get by without falling sick with just the bare minimum precautions we take with bottled/boiled water etc.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    GoneGirl, sindmani, Sunburst and 3 others like this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Both my husband's and my siblings live within 25 miles of us, and they have mini-vans that would fit all our luggage. So one of them usually gets recruited for airport duty. We return the favor to them when it is their turn. We drop off friends as well. We only do Uber if we are traveling for work and we know we can expense the ride!!! Of course, if no one is available for any reason... we just super shuttle ourselves. It is the same for friends or family.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Deleted.

8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Indeed. The vegetation and the flora and the fauna are my favourite part.

Sidin Vadukut had a nice piece recently about having his relationship with nature transformed upon returning to Kerala after growing up in the Gulf: Letter from... that bald spot in my garden

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I took a look.

RE: Vadukut's musings: "You see I have no idea what any of these British plants are. Is that a weed? A flowering plant? A berry? I have no idea."

I am sure there's an app for that.
    There. That should change his relationship with nature.:lol:

10. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

That's not the part that spoke to me, but OK.