1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tryst With A Teacher

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jun 24, 2017.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Hey Buddy!

What's this equation you have written? What's that square looking object doing in an algebraic equation. Are you mixing up algebra and geometry? This at least was never your wont. Don't blame your eye's non-cooperation. And you, literally a giant in my eyes, call yourself a cute little sparrow and me an eagle. I went and looked at myself in the mirror. I certainly didn't look like an eagle. Just an overweight, over-old man. With an idiotic expression on his face. And no, I cannot fly, except in an aeroplane. Also, I am scared of flying in aeroplanes because one never knows if he will land safely.

Thanks though for the warm regards. Same to you.

oj

2. ojaantrik

Thanks Lakshmi. Just imagine how please Utpal Dutt would be if he were around. Come to think of it, our classroom looked a bit like a stage.

oj

3. ojaantrik

True enough Srama. There is no question that one should choose the favourite teacher over the favourite subject. By the way, much that I missed one, I never got a good history teacher in school. And I didn't study history in college. Stupid me.
    oj-da

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The allegory of a gigantic spinning disc as a petite ring on an alien life shrinks our pride that humans are the chief produce of a thinking universe. It bruises our ego that we have been designed and powered with a purpose. It weakens our claim that we are the sole value to an otherwise barren universe. That stretch of imagination, to drive home the point that humans are nothing but specks in the grand scheme of an impassive universe — which couldn't care less if we blow ourselves up, reminds me of the Micromegas story by Voltaire.

Two extra-terrestrial giants (one 37 km and another 2 km) from Sirius and Saturn visit Earth and are amused with the tiny whales and even tinier humans. Our winding philosophy or search for truth is insubstantial to the greater intellect of these giants who pursue knowledge from a greater height that we near-sighted humans can never even construe. We humans, in our petty existence, hardly matter to the greater workings of the universe. Who is who in this infinite topography is only conjectured but never revealed to us. When I look down upon the lesser beings, I feel emboldened by my superior musculature but when I am looked down upon by someone I am equally threatened of my precarious existence.

There is more to that allegorical imagination ...it is not about the hierarchy of prestige or the ridiculousness of our aggrandised self-image but it is also about our naive realism that we are what we think we are. Recall what Douglas Adams wrote in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: "The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the "Star Spangled Banner," but was, in fact, a message. The message was "so long, and thanks for all the fish."

That was right before the Vogons blew up Earth to make way for a new intergalactic expressway. Who cares about the ape-descendants, the intelligent dolphins escaped the cataclysm.

First, I don't read many books. I take up only two books a month unless I am distracted by Cheeniya who sneaks in Jim Kraus in one of the discussions and I end up downloading "The Dog that talked to God" and flip the pages with Rufus' counselling. Second, I scan one dense book and read one non-mainstream book. This month it is Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach and Ismail Kadare's The Traitor's Niche. I choose one author whose writing is alien to me. This month it is the Albanian author Ismail Kadare. Last month it was the Iranian writer Sadegh Hedayat. Long story short, I am not a ravenous reader. I am selective and love fanning out like a headless chicken when I read a book by looking up references, citations, alluded historical events and vocabulary. I take a long time to read a book. Believe me, there are dusty books in my e-vault which will take another decade to mark as complete. I would be thrilled to join the club if someone who is more passionate and competent starts the club. I too would join in a blink.

More on educators and teaching techniques later.

ojaantrik likes this.
  5. AhujaGirl

AhujaGirl Silver IL'ite

Well, I aim to be that teacher to revive the whole thing then :)

ojaantrik likes this.
  6. ojaantrik

Dear Iravati,

I have to admit that I haven't read this work, but your summary clarifies what it is all about. It appears to dock neatly with the point of the snippet I wrote. Marvelous. I mean Voltaire, not me.

Embarrassingly enough, I cannot recall. I am just not well-read enough. But the story/idea is impressive without a doubt.

After telling me that you don't read many books, you have come up with a list that makes me hide my face in shame. In fact, I don't read two books a month. Instead, I read books once in a while. And most often I don't even understand what I am reading. Right now, I am reading James Gleick's Time Travel. I am half way through, but have no idea where it is headed. I am not sure if I have understood all that he has said so far either.

Sometime ago I read Amitav Ghosh's Hungry Tide and had to struggle hard to finish it. I admit that I am no great fan of Ghosh. I have read only three books by him. However, this particular book had an impact on my quest for historical knowledge. The incidents on which it is based aroused my interest and I even made a trip to the National Library to search newspaper reports from those days. Finally, I came across people who had researched on the events and I purchased copies of their works. I was reading these with interest last year, when all of a sudden I got an invitation from Ashoka University to teach for a semester. I got involved with the teaching and lost track of the books. They are gathering dust right in front of me.

Anyway, the book reading club was a wild idea. I am somewhat familiar with the classics, but when it comes to modern writers, I find that I live in the wilderness. I am not an avid reader.

Thanks for this long and informative comment.

Regards.

oj

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

He He! Such commands are not presumptuous reminders to evoke but only a senile-ish pat between Cheeniya and me to rattle our failing brains. We have a set of buzzwords like "you now", "remember", "mind you", "recall", "revisit" and somewhere during those instructions we leap to our next topic in our conversazione. How do I put it, these are our codewords to trigger an ascendancy to maverick levels of an incoherent debate. I mostly converse with Cheeniya in snippets. Blighty me! This playful diction spills over to my other interactions.

Though wild, still vital. The book clubs I have seen fall in these categories.

(1) Flippant — I read the book. It was nice. I did not like Mr. Casaubon.
    (2) Fussy — "Miss Brooks had that kind of beauty" .."kind" , "beauty" ...they will tease out right from the opening line and such literary criticism will even embarrass Harold Bloom.
    (3) Pretentious and gassy —This is very similar to a Bantu book that I read last week which was much much much much better.
    (4) Scholarly — Mr. Casaubon was a greatly misunderstood character.
    (5) Jingoist — We should read out native pundintry and not these English barons.

These are just few examples. A book club that is soft and productive and not too sonorous or hair-splitting is a balance that I have seen only at one or two places.

I have read Gleick's Chaos. If Time Travel is any good, let me know. I am slightly disenchanted by this topic because we were supposed to have built futuristic cities with wormholes in our backyards by now after that hoverboard and Mission Mars. Yet, we are contending with the paradoxes of time travel whether Oedipus Rex could have killed his father in future by killing his father in the past. It is high time that an anarchist slays someone in the past and proves or refutes this timeline paradox.

8. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

9. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Sri.Utpal Dutt is really great& u are fortunate enough to have him as ur teacher.
    Teachers play a major role in some students lives.
    I studied in govt. school. I can't forget Jessi teacher both for the true concern & love she showed to me & the grammar she taught.That formed the basis for writing properly in English. I even acted in Shakespeare drama on stage without any fear.
    Another Ceeli teacher she also taught English grammar.laid strong foundation for writing without any grammatical mistakes.
    Hindi teacher - i took tuition for Hindi exams .She used to make us prepare for exams in such away that we used to get mostly First class & sometimes Distinction.
    Tamil teacher is a man due his teachings only i can write proper Tamil even poems.
    Physics teacher Smt. Bhanumathi used to be quiet friendly with us.
    In those days teachers were not only Gurus but also took personal interest in all aspects of us like health,character etc. GOLDEN YUGA !
    " The woods are lovely dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

ojaantrik likes this.
  10. ojaantrik

Thank God for this explanation. I had no idea that Cheeniya expressed himself in different ways depending on the correspondent. It must have something to do with his estimation of the intellectual capability of the guy who's bothering him. I, being a bit of a village idiot in IL, assume that Cheeniya is one too and our normal exchanges have a totally different flavour. The following is an excerpt.

OJ: Hi Cheeniya, did you massage your pate with mustard oil today?
    Cheeniya: Yes of course OJ, I do so everyday. Don't you note the shine? But why should you wish to know?
    OJ: Well, you see, I am learning to play the tabla and wanted to try out a new beat on your head.
    Cheeniya: No, it's too oily now. You may try later of course. As always, I never refuse anything you ask for. Letting you play the tabla on my head is nothing compared to some of the other things I did for you. Recall, that occasion when you wiped off your sambar stained fingers on my milk white shirt.
    OJ: Ah yes, of course. But there is no sambar available here right now. So you cannot send that gift my way for a while. What else can you let me do? Can I hold on to your beard and swing merrily when you go out for your famous morning walks?
    Cheeniya: Yes, the beard is another question. It's not oily. But I want a gift in exchange.
    OJ: By all means Cheeniya dear! What can I do for you today?
    Cheeniya: You must let me hang by your beard simultaneously.
    OJ: But that's impossible Cheeniya. I know that you have lost your hair, but have you lost your head too?
    Cheeniya: No I have not lost my head. But I use my head only when I confabulate with more intelligent beings than goats. And in my opinion, you are a bit of a goat, so our conversazione cannot possibly rise above caprine levels.
    OJ: Hey Cheeniya, I thought we were both goats. And now you are throwing those c-words at me! I thought Cheeniya was the only word that began with a c. But you are confusing me. Next time you will tell me that confuse too is one such word. I thought that there were only two or three words that start with each alphabet. There are twenty six alphabets in the English language, someone very clever told me. So there shouldn't be more than 4 times twenty six words in the Oxford Dictionary. How many words would that make? I didn't learn to multiply. You have to find out for yourself, I am afraid, or ask your knowledgeable friends. I am just a goat, can't you see? Goat, right? You must reserve your lukdivorious bomposity for more intelligent beings. For the time being, just note that I am a goat without a goatee. And you want to hang by my goatee. Is that fair? Besides, you wish to accomplish this impossible act while I am hanging by your beard. A double impossible does not mean a possible. It's not a double negative you know. And in any case, the well-recognized buffoon that I am, I do have difficulty following those double negatives as well. There is no way you can do nothing about this.
    Cheeniya: What? What was that last thing you said?
    OJ: Did I say something? Goats have short memories, don't you know? Anyway, since you are not obliging me, I will go back home and let you engage your brain to palaver with intelligent beings.

And so on and so forth.

Book clubs are not meant for me I realize. But I had a colleague who might have had use for them. He had once come to my home and told me, "Do you have book? My wife is ill. She wants book." I loaned out Graham Greene's Our Man in Havana to help her in her distress. She read a page or two and asked her husband to feed it to a goat. Consequently, the book came back to me. It still adorns my bookshelf with goatish glee.

No idea.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017