1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Dogs And Men

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    A small correction Viji.
    I did not use that accident as an opportunity to earn the goodwill of my Staff Union. I was motivated by a genuine desire to help a victim lying profusely bleeding. I went for his rescue despite the warning of the Union Leader. Earning their goodwill was just a bonus!
    Sri

iyerviji likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    Every husband hides behind his wife's pallu or whatever the shielding piece of cloth is called, for some reason or other. During my school days in Triplicane, the major reason for a husband to indulge in such action was to escape his creditors! Doing it to escape the wrath of an Alsatian is certainly more honourable!
    When I was in the Bank, I always avoided staying in the flats meant for officers because the neighbourly discussions would invariable land on the problems in the Bank. Even the wives discussed the heroism or the lack ot of their husbands. I always lived in a rented flat and enjoyed my independence.
    The free crisp notes were the only ones I used during my service but now I use whatever that comes out of the Teller machine. I don't even get the desired change and I get them from my grocery shop thanks to the goodwill that I have earned with him!
    Sri

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Oh sorry anna I did not post the sentence properly

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    My dear kkrish
    I watch not only the dogs but cats too. Unfortunately cats have not been able to earn my respect as much as the dogs. I do not know if you have read Chronicles of Clovis by Saki (HH Munro) in which the cat Tobermory talks and embarrasses everyone! Dogs don't do such things and they are more discreet. That's why you find more novels on dogs than cats.
    Coming to compassionate humans, it just comes out in the end in the movies in the climax scene but in real life, it can come bursting on the scene anytime. When I went to help the accident victim, I had just reported in the new Branch and I defied the instruction of the Union Leader to stay away from it. But I knew that his advice was not due to any malice towards the victim but to avoid the nuisance that might follow. But good deeds never fail to come to our rescue in the long run.
    Sri

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    I think your observation of street dogs account is somewhat connected to your bank employment. Day in and day out you were dealing with numbers and so you had a passion for keeping an account of the faithful dog population of your street. Street dogs not only keep watch of a new comer of their own creed, but also start barking and chasing a suspicious looking stranger entering the street.

All the bank staff from peon to manager get great respect from the customers. My brother also joined Indian Bank in the year 1953 as a probationary officer and retired as DGM. He was also deputed as a lecturer in the staff training college for some time. In our family six people worked in different banks other than my brother. We had the advantage of getting the required denomination of notes during functions.

We now have the previlege account and so a person who is deputed for privilege account holders help us whenever we go to the bank. In ICICI Bank a person used to come to our house to give cash and take the cheque.

PS

6. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan
    You almost sound like Sherlock Holmes there. I was telling you about the pre-machinisation days in the Bank before the introduction of machines. Most of the time, we spent adding up figures and it became a habit with us. Even when we saw the calendar, we would start adding the figures!
    Having joined the Bank as a Probationary Officer in 1965, I took my voluntary retirement exactly in the 25th year when I was not even 50. I have spent more years as a Pensioner than as an active official!
    In retrospect, I feel it was a good decision. I became a Financial Consultant and worked in that position for 25 years. Premature retirement from the Bank was one of the few good decisions I took in my life!
    Sri

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    You have taken a bold decision. Instead of hanging on to the bank job and getting transferred every two/three years it was a good idea. No retirement for consultants and can work as long as you can manage.
    PS

8. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir, thank you for sharing. Regards, Lakshmi

9. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan
    I am taking life a bit easy now with my health being what it is. My daughters are taking good care of me and are not allowing me to take up any fresh assignments now. IL has become my major activity now!

10. Cheeniya

@LakshmiKMBhat
    My dear Lakshmi
    I must thank you for reading whatever I write! With people like you around, my rambling will continue joyfully!
    Sri