1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old And Young

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jun 23, 2017.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

In present age there is so much difference in thinking in old and young. Old people plan everything well in advance for everything especially when they have to travel everything. They book the tickets well in advance, their luggage is ready well in advance. But young people are so busy these days in their work, many youngsters in this age have to work for more hours . Either they are busy in their office or work from home which is more tedious. They have to go for tours also . Their tickets are ready when they have to go for tours but thei packing will be in the last moment only . They are very cool and dont worry about reaching in time etc. But old people like me till we reach the destination get worried that we should be time and not miss the train or plane.

Now let me come to the point for which I am posting this thread. Yesterday I had an appointment with Doctor and to reach the place it will take 30 mins to 45 mins. My son was supposed to come with me and husband but he had some foreign call and some furniture were to be delivered at home. Now he works from home so always busy. My appointment was at 5.35 pm and I wanted to be there by 5 pm. My son arranged for a car and said the driver will come at 3.45 pm. , it was already 4 pm and the driver did not come . We went down for him as he had already leftand was on the way . It was pouring when we went down and I didnot have patience to stand inside our building.The driver phoned and since it was raining I could not take the call fast due to rains and its touch phone. Finally the driver came at 4.30 or so. My son had told it is Honda car. Except for Maruthi I dont know how the other cars will be. I went at the back of the car and saw whether it is Honda. The driver was an young chap and I told him we have to reach by 5 pm. as our appointment was at 5.35 pm. By 5 pm we were there and the driver only found out where the clinic and dropped us near the lift. WE went in time but the doctor came only at 5.30 only and there were other patients who were waiting since long . So we got the chance to go inside after 6 pm. We left the place at 6.30 and the driver was waitng outside onlyBy 7.30 pm. we reached our house and I told the driver, thank you very much , you took us comfortably, God bless you. He told me tell Saab about it. I told my son that we travelled comfortably.

Youngsters are cool and dont take tensions , they might be having tensions in their job but dont show us because we will get worried. Yeserday so much I was worrying my son but he was answering me coolly and telling me also why do you always take tensions for everything. There is a solution for every problem and no need to take tensions.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Even for overseas trips my son starts packing only after the car arrives.He does not like anybody to help him or touch his things.They also accomplish all the tasks. We are unnecessarily wasting in the crowded platform for hrs.My husband wants to be an hour to the station before the train departs.
    Last month I had a strange experience.We had to go to a Real estate office 20Km away from home.We had to be there at 3.30P. M. We have booked the car to be at our residence at 1P.M. He was in time.On getting into the car we ascertained his name and phone number.,car number etc.Just a km away from home he drove the car in just the opposite direction.When enquired he said that he knew the route well .The car started picking up very fast.I suspected some foul play. Immediately I took my phone and pretended as though I was attending a call." Is it so;We are just coming there" I told hastily.We forced him to stop the car and told him that we had an urgent call and we have to go back.We gave him Rs 100 and sent him away.We took another auto, came home and telephoned to our Taxi firm. They said there was no person as Umamahesh with them and the car number also never belonged to them.Some other person had just entered the taxi office premises and have seen our booking and had come come home.Meanwhile when we were travelling in the car,the original driver came home and seeing the door locked, had returned to office.Fortunately we had presence of mind.These days in Chennai we can get cheated easily.That is the firm we keep in touch for the past 10 years.Saying'sorry' any number of times would never come to our rescue if something had gone wrong.
    Jayasala 42

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    Now we have become old, but even when we were young we always tried to reach a place where we had an appointment well in advance. Though both our sons are also like us our s-i-l is quite opposite.
    Anyway 'Take it easy,' mentality is good instead of worrying for unwanted things.
    Nowadays in most of the doctors make patients wait even after giving the appointment.
    We can't blame them also as they have to attend emergency cases.
    PS

iyerviji likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou Jayakka for your first response. Most of the youngsters of. today are some. Sorry to know of your bad experience.

5. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji ma ..both has advantages and disadvantages isn't it?

My father keeps stressing to always pick any appointments ahead of time. That's one of his best principles. But we youngsters have less sense of time or at least most of us do. This is one thing about which I especially have arguments with my father. He so much hates that I always don't keep time in mind .I always say that its fine to be that:p He gets totally pissed off and shouts at me saying this is one thing I have taught you from childhood .. why are you being this??!!

He feels very sad that we( me and my brother) don't take it as a practice while he emphasized so much on it from our childhood days. he says that its a discipline that every body should have. Respect time!!! Whenever I am with my father I make sure that i somehow adhere to time not to make him feel bad:)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    iyerviji likes this.
  6. Rushmi789

Rushmi789 Senior IL'ite

To each his own ! The young have their own ways and so do the older people.

iyerviji likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet, Viji.

In my house, I am the one who has always started packing much before anyone even thinks. And I have to make a list first. It was like that in childhood too.. we were the most organized family among relatives and neighbors.

Glad you could make it to the appointment on time. Taxis and similar service make life very comfortable.

iyerviji and joylokhi like this.
  8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear viji maami,
    liked reading your post as usual. Can relate to it in total. As Jayasala maam had said, even for an international trip back, my son would pack only on the day of travel and that too would not like us helping him out as he would say he would forget things if we come in! Surely the younger lot do last minute jobs but they know what they want and are cool about it:) Even so, although i travel to chennai almost every month or so from bangalore, I book my tickets a month in advance if i have prior notice of my travel, reach the station a good half hour at least before, to the irritation of others in the family who say, I unnecessarily worry for nothing!
    However, I wouldnt change my ways as i feel it is better to be safer and well planned in advance when it comes to travel.

iyerviji likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

So true. We are brought up to be sticklers for time, but I believe this has more to do with the individual than with any particular time or generation.

I have been brought up to be punctual and it leads to a lot of angst when others around me take things easy. BH, on the other hand, has no concept of time. He lives in a blissful state of timelessness!!! Two days ago he was leaving for a conference and was to go by train. He started off at 5.30 p.m for a train from Majestic at 7:00. By BP kept rising and I was convinced he'd miss his train. After a while, I just sat and thought, 'well, if he misses his train, that's not the end of the world. He'll miss his conference, but that is not the end of the world either. At best/worst, whichever way you choose to look at it, he'll come back at night'. As it happened, he reached on time and the train was conveniently 20 mins late.

So many appointments I used to land up early and keep waiting for others who would come late. Being 'fashionably' late. I tried that but the best I could manage was not arriving early, but punctually!!! :confounded: I still end up having to wait. Of course if I am going with the BH, I can rest assured that I will reach late! There have been occasions when even that late has been early - others have come in much later! :BangHead: So, as you see, it's a no-win situation.

As for the younger generation, from experience with my students, I can say, they are those beings who have advanced spiritually to a state of timelessness!!! :tonguecrazy: Of course, when they work in high-stress situations, they need to let up somewhere else. It is all a matter of priorities. For me, teaching is my job, so I am there early. For them, it is just a certificate they need, so they get by somehow or the other. That's alright I guess.

iyerviji and joylokhi like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

True Pushpa Mami when we were young also we used to be before time and plan well in advance. Glad your sons follow the same but surprising sils are opposite. Take it easy mentality is good but I am always worried till I reach the destination and take the train or any other place I go . Ya Doctors have emergency cases so cant expect them to be there .