1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Indian dresses in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. sknaaz

sknaaz New IL'ite

i just love sarees and like every mom, my mom shopped a lot of sarees for me before marriage,but after the US match got fixed she regreted.hehehe.i bought all of them to US,just wore on special occasions,and i always get appreciation from Americans be it saree or salwar with their wide excited smile and "wow ur dress is pretty" line.they find our dresses colourfull and they appreciate its design.yea we dont get much chances like people in india to wear sarees and i really feel sad seeing my sarees and all jewelleries that goes so well with them in my suitcase.

2. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Though I love to wear sarees I have a problem to wear it abroad as I don't anyone to help me out or comment on the way I have worn it.. In India, I always have my in-laws mom or sisters to help and get feedback :-D. I always think twice before wearing sarees if I am abroad and I don't have anyone with me. I assume thats the issue most of other ladies also facing

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Look like I have missed the thread after starting it.
    After hearing all your positive experiences I am encouraged to wear it more. Houston is hot, otherwise there are many cultural occasions I can wear it to.

My husband prefers sarees to other clothes for me. Guess Indian men like sarees a lot.

Crepe and Synthetic sarees are easy to manage, look good and are cheap in case you are collecting.

Occasions one can wear
    1. Temple
    2. Get togethers
    3. Functions at friend's places
    4. Indian theaters / Exhibitions / Concerts

Can you all add to the list ?

nuss likes this.
  4. tanya1984

tanya1984 New IL'ite

Hi Meenloch,

I too had this problem

I will wear saree only when going to temples or any occasions at home

i like to wear saree but it will look odd when we go out

i had some bad exp. even when i go out in chudi for shopping

that too kids will look at us in a different manner

so better to prefer pants or any other costumes...

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I wear salwars to work once in a while, my company is more of a mixed culture environment. Most of the people so far has admired the outfits and jewelery and no odd looks or comments. I know a couple of my friends wear saree to work on Fridays or some occasions. Ofcouse, here in bay area where Indian people are more, salwars and saris are pretty common. It also depends on which part of the states you live in. In bay area temple (livermore), almost 90% of devotees who come wear traditional attire and that must be true elsewhere also. As long as the outfit suits you and looking decent I don't think there should be any trouble.

6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

This is a great issue to discuss. My ideas on wearing sarees come with a bit of a Western perspective, since I am South African of Indian descent, and in my home community, only the older generation (i.e. my grandmothers) wore sarees every day. Although I love the idea of wearing a saree, it is not personally practical or comfortable for me to consider it as daily wear.

Therefore, we tend to wear sarees only on special occasions. It is therefore viewed as something special, and it does feel good to dress up and make an event of it (hair, make-up, etc.). This may be more how it is for Indian women living in the US as well.

In my opinion, it is appropriate (if you are not comfortable wearing a saree every day but would like to wear it more often) to wear a saree for any formal occasion. In a western context, this would include weddings, christenings, engagements, graduation ceremonies, formal dinners, and evenings out (theatre, shows, fancy restaurants, etc.). As a guide, if the dress code is formal, or men are asked to wear suits or "black tie", then a saree would be a great option for women.

As other posts have pointed out, many Westerners admire sarees and often have compliments for women who wear them. It may be a bit uncomfortable for us to be put on the spot like this, but we should learn to enjoy the attention! It's a great way to showcase our culture and raise awareness of the importance of diversity. It is also a good way to create cultural bridges - by wearing a saree, we provide an opportunity for others to start conversations with us and exchange information that improves social dynamics.

So, go on, put on that saree and show your true colours!

Ansuya

7. radha04

radha04 New IL'ite

I wear sarees atleat twice a month to church. I try to use all the bangle sets too. The americans love it. Infact they adore it. I usually don't wear them to parties because I don't feel very comfortable wearing it( it's quite difficult to walk) and I like to move around and enjoy.

8. varsha123

varsha123 New IL'ite

Hi friends, iam new to IL and found this interesting thread just now....i too love wearing sarees, like most ladies here i too wear sarees for temples and any other special occasions. I tried wearing it on weekends but stopped it due to maintenance issues. As someone already noted, i think it depends on how comfortable we are wearing it. I think that's one of the best dress which suits all indian gals !!

Continuing this thread, how to wash sarees here ? i tried washing once in the washer/dryer at home and ended up getting a crumpled piece of cloth :(

Any advise on this is really appreciated.

Thanks everyone !!

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I love to wear sarees.I do wear it when I feel like.It can be a shopping trip or a festival.Americans love to see us in sarees. They do compliment generously.I dont feel we stand out in sarees.

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Interesting topic.. I have found that wearing our ethnic clothes has never posed a problem for me. I feel Americans are very polite and probably the best mannered too..
    However I do not like to wear sarees because I do not feel comfortable wearing. So reserve it for weddings and pujas etc.