1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Ironing Clothes

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by chaaral, Jun 12, 2017.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Do you iron your clothes? somehow after coming to USA i dont iron my clothes much often as i used to in india.
    i was just wondering what others do? some of my friends give work clothes( shirts and pants) to dry cleaners for ironing. it is so neatly pressed cant beat it at home.
    my hubby mostly wears polo shirts/t shirts to office ( not much of formal clothes except few times)
    its casual for me too so not much of ironing.
    what do u ladies do?

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I don't iron my daily work clothes since I get wrinkle free outfits. But cotton salwars, I may need to iron for a polished look. When I'm wearing it to someone's house or a party, I will definitely iron. H does not iron unless last minute, for business meeting or something. I think the reason I don't need to iron as much here is because the water isn't so hard and because of the dryer.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Lithika

Lithika Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    As am a homemaker I don't iron the clothes uncless it s cotton which I wear for outing...But usually my hubby use to iron his formals daily on morning

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

did 3 loads of laundry, kids sick and couldn't fold the clothes and put it away. it is a crumpled mess. kids t shirts especially. so today showed my son how to iron his t shirt and he enjoyed the new gadget. :)

5. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

If you take the clothes out of your dryer immediately after the cycle stops, when they are still super hot.. And hang / fold them up, I find there is no necessity of ironing. The key thing here is the timing. The more they are tangled in the dryer or laundry bag, the more you need to iron. Also, overloading the dryer leads to more wrinkling.

So even if I am super tired or lazy, I at least hang up my tops and tshirts immediately after they come out.. The rest of the "regular" clothes, tights, tracks, can be a jumbled mess until I find time.

6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Nope, don't iron that much. Initially I would iron our clothes on a sat/sun for the coming week.. but nowadays, just iron the cotton/ wrinkly work clothes /child uniform the night before, just so it's not crazy in the morning.. don't iron synthetic tops or clothes that don't look wrinkly..btw, the clothes are folded when I need the basket for next set of clothes in the dryer!!

7. SassySalsa

SassySalsa Bronze IL'ite

No ironing for me, never did and never will

Was used to giving it to the dhobi in India. Post marriage, purposely messed up dh's shirt while ironing, dh fell into the trap and was totally convinced that despite my sincere efforts, I'll never be able to master the skill. Since then, he is fully in charge of this department. Thanks to my smart brain, I mix my clothes to be ironed in his pile and the guy has no clue (or maybe he does, who cares). All I have to do is put on his favorite tv show, offer him a cup of masala chai, sit back and relax while he gets started on his weekly chore with a zeal.