Moving To Paris

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by sreejas, Jan 24, 2017.

1. sreejas

sreejas New IL'ite

Hi,

I would be moving to Paris by the end of April with my husband and our 6 year old boy. I got an idea about the public schools with international section(in English) and since the concentration is more near Saint-Germain-en-Laye, planning to look for housing over there. Can someone already living there give a rough idea on searching a housing over there? The below are the questions I have:
    1. What would be the conditions put forward by the landlords?
    2. Would it be better to approach an agent or hunt by ourselves?
    3. How much time would we require to figure out an appropriate housing, in both the case of agent or self?

I would be working at the LIP6 laboratory, University of Paris 6. So basically looking for an area which I can commute daily and my son will have access to a public school with international section in English. If you can recommend some more areas, it would be great!

Thanks in advance,
    Sreeja.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Do you mean the concentration of Tamilians from Puducherry?
    Your questions 1-3 should be answered by your contacts in LIP6. Information technology people should have information, no ?;)
    St.Germaine en Laye is quite outside of the city. Your commute would be crowded in the morning. Look at the RER map and the metro map of PARIS. You can see what it entails.
    Good luck.

3. sreejas

sreejas New IL'ite

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. By concentration I meant concentration of public schools which have international section with English.

All my contacts in LIP6 are native French. I wish to get a perspective of a foreigner doing the house hunting.

Basically I am looking for getting a house which would enable an easier commute for my son. So was trying to figure out areas with the maximum number of public schools (with international section in English). That's how got St.Germain-en-laye.
    I saw the commute time is almost 45 minutes, but didn't find much places, which has schools with our requirement, which would reduce my commute time.
    It would be great if I get some suggestions from this community regarding alternate places where the housing would be affordable as well.

Thanks,
    Sreeja.

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

If you cannot (do not wish to ) accept information from natives, that would be a tough one. All housing is affordable, for those who can afford them. You can google and there are many listings for apartment rentals, or you can relent about your no-LIP6-contact proviso, and surprise yourself on how helpful natives can be on information about their own neighborhood. If you check how many responses member fabienne got for her request about housing/schools etc. on this forum, you'd know how many suggestions you'd get from this community. Explore on your own, there is plenty on the internet. Get an agent to look for housing if you need it fast. Only you know what is affordable for you.

5. sreejas

sreejas New IL'ite

Please do not speak with any prejudice. I had talked to them and they were extremely helpful. I didn't mention I am closed to natives. But needed to get a foreigner perspective as well. Please leave it if you cannot help.
    I wished to know a first hand experience in house hunting. If it is against community guidelines, I am sorry. Then I am probably in the wrong place.

Thanks.

PS: I had done some homework, which I think was evident from the question I posted, it was not a can-you-do-my-homework question.

6. Zao

Zao New IL'ite

I just saw this exchange. It is now too late perhaps; just as a guideline the salary should be 4 times the rent. There are rental agents who could help you.

sreejas likes this.
  7. Dharanii

Dharanii New IL'ite

Hello, are you still around ?

I work in schools in St Germain en Laye, if you need anything let me know. Will be happy to help

sreejas likes this.
  8. sreejas

sreejas New IL'ite

Thank you for the reply. I managed to figure out a housing, but inside Paris. Probably next year once I learn the language I can venture out to the suburbs.

9. sreejas

sreejas New IL'ite

Thank you for the response. For now I decided to put my son in the public school as we had difficulty in figuring out a housing near St Germain en Laye. The public school which he goes to has a section for international students to help them learn French, and that came as a bonus.

I am still worried about him loosing his English, so would be looking out for options the coming year and would get in touch with you. Thank you for the offer.

10. priya31

priya31 New IL'ite

Hi Sreejas,
    We are working in the process of moving to Paris. Currently my kids are studying in Singapore on grades 6 and 3 with English as the medium. I want to research more on Bilingual and public schools in Paris. Hope you already settled in Paris. plz clarify me on the below questions:
    1, Could you plz help me with your inputs regarding housing, work, education, tax and savings?
    2, Do people who don't know french can get a job too?
    3, How is ur son cope with the local curriculum now?

Please email to lakpry@gmail.com. We are really in dilemma to move or not after settling in singapore for longer period. Appreciate your valuable inputs for our discussion on this.

Thank you
    Priya