1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Do With Them? What Do You Do Without Them?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 28, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The supervision needed by children cannot be emphasized enough. However, it is not just the internet that puts them at risk. The day kids step out of the house and go to school, they get exposed to so many things parents might protect them from childhood. WE can't stop them from going to school anymore than we can keep them away from the internet. It is here that parental influence counts a lot.

There is a young guy in my class. Talk of refinement and good upbringing. I don't know when I have seen any young person behave that way. He's the kind who insists on knocking on the door when walking into class, even if class has not started - despite the teacher telling him not to bother. He ensures the door does not slam when shut. The only thing that can explain such behaviour is very strict upbringing. An exception maybe and possibly an extreme case, but it goes to show that nothing is impossible. If parents don't bother, then how can we blame the kids?

joylokhi likes this.
  2. satchitananda

Absolutely. Just wish young people did not consider the anonymity of the internet as a free license to be abusive, bullying and to use foul language.

3. satchitananda

I am not sure I totally agree with the social isolation bit. It is the proverbial question of what came first - the chicken or the egg. I feel our social structure had already started falling apart. The internet and technology only helped come and complete the process. In a situation where social contacts with people around decreased, the internet has helped form new friendships which then sometimes extend beyond the internet. Yes, that can be a double-edged knife, but if it works, why not. There have been examples where suicides have been averted because of the internet.

SunPa likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    I have read all the discussions here and I refrain from shooting my mouth! Ignorance is bliss but why go around brandishing it?
    Sri

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hahaha Cheeniya sir. You want me to believe that you are ignorant in matters of using the internet?

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I believe all that is hard to believe and contest the easier ones!

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

When it comes to Internet and social etiquette, we will reap bushels of moot points. Since your inquiry, as emphasized in your subsequent post, is predominantly on the conduct of an internet user, I will lay out my thoughts around that.

Growing up, I was an avid watcher of two Doordarshan programmes: Surabhi and Turning Point. At the end of every episode, in the fan-mail segment, the host reads out viewers' feedback. Back then, I desired to write back , “I love your series.” But I never wrote back. You had to buy a post card, go to the post office, drop it, in the mean time my enthusiasm used to wan over such labour. I assumed that people who wrote back were more passionate and stirred than I was to relate to those thoughtful and creative programmes, and also buy a post card and mail it.

Yesterday and today, we have lived in the same world where “accessibility” takes precedence over “thoughtfulness.” People always want to comment or strike something in return, but this digital era facilitates it as well. When facilities and tools are available at a click's distance everyone shouts their opinions with or without the scholarship and proprietary. But why rudeness? Most of the rudeness we see on the Internet is “flamebait” mischief, notwithstanding instances of conversational illiteracy. In a conversation, participants assume that the louder they are, the more valid they will sound. Again, why rude, can't one be loud and polite? As pointed out earlier, there's a lot of mischief on the net if you can spot. Earlier, it was uneconomical to offend anyone (ref: buy a post card) but Internet has democratised and cheapened that thrill. People deliberately "slap" rudeness to deflect or sensationalize a topic. It is fun to watch as an observer how a topic can be veered out of shape by an incendiary remark. These are deliberate insertions to kick up fun and mischief and also expose the irascibility of the participants. One stray brick and the house collapses! I attribute most of the rudeness on the Internet to such pranks rather than malice.

Forget about the intensity of dissent, in an ideal and rational conversation, there is no pacifying and disabling “agree to disagree” also. According to the mathematical definition of common knowledge and Aumann's theory, we can't agree to disagree if we are all perfectly rational. We would converge on exact conclusion!

As for the rest of the post, I am very pro-technology. But I have to remind myself of the below Thoreau's quote in Walden.

We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; For my part, I could easily do without the post-office as Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate. We are eager to tunnel under the Atlantic and bring the old world some weeks nearer to the new; but perchance the first news that will leak through into the broad flapping American ear will be that Princess Adelaide has the whooping cough.”

Internet shrinks our existence onto a global village in terms of connectivity, however, we should align ourselves to what truly matters rather than be drowned in the clamour of sound bites, flashing news, fleeting virtual getaways and dime a dozen op-eds. One could be overloaded, jaded and fatigued easily with Princess Adelaide's rhythmic cough and wonder what is the value provided by this super-highway built of intel and expanse.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  8. satchitananda

Thanks for the amazing reply, Iravati. No one in their senses would question the way life has changed for the better because of technology. But it is really sad to see it being misused thus. One watches a video or reads a write-up and goes to read comments to see what people have to say or contribute and all one comes across is the most vile, vulgar and demeaning comments. Maybe this is a need I will never be able to understand. Yes, it is so easy to post comments and share ideas without the hassle of having to resort to the postal system and the vagaries thereof, not to mention the uncertainty about whether the posts would be read at all. Sad that this convenience has been misused by so many.

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Moderation is the key word. Use internet in the right way....it is a boon. Getting addicted, especially children had many negatives as others said.
    Yes, no privacy. I fully agree.It seems as if somebody is right our back and reading every word that we type! How so many spam mails in the mail box?Casual messages are o.k but credit card numbers and other information in some forms are scary to enter!
    Of all said and done can we live without internet now? I don't think so.
    Syamala

10. satchitananda

There is no option now, Syamala. With the demonetization and emphasis on cashless transactions, is there any option in the matter? I agree, we have to be careful what we say and where we say it and be prepared for the worst, should it ever happen - whatever that worst is.