1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Formula For A Breastfed Baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by karishmom, May 28, 2017.

1. karishmom

karishmom New IL'ite

Hello lovely ladies,
    I have a very particular problem. I have a 4 month old son(second baby) who is been breastfed so far. My first one was EBF until 28 months. That WAS my aim with this one too until my last visit to the doctor. Long story short i have been getting recurrent breast abscess since my son was 3weeks. It needed drainage( so far 6) each time with hospital stay. So the doctor suggested for a speciaL sonography which resulted showing 2 cyst still present. they were not sure if its milk cyst or something else and suggested me to stop breastfeeding by 6 months so that they can sort it out. there were times where i was at the edge of weaning my son off the breast. but couldnot. finally i have decided to slowly introduce formula with much pain(as i have a good supply). tried different bottles llike avent, /mAM, chicco,NUK and different formulas with no success. can someone please suggest me which bottle EBF babies? and tips n tricks to make my son accept a bottle.Thanks in advance.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, Can't you try breast pump. And use that to bottle feed as you have enough supply. May be that also help with the current issue. I suggest you to try with bottles available in your area. I tried almost all available brands in US for my son when he was around similar age ( reason: end of maternity leave)...
    Struggled a lot as he was not ready to accept any...may be also due to taste of formula... finally succeeded with medela bottles. That comes with breast pump. The issue was with the nipples of bottles, I guess. Similac brand also has similar nipples ( off white/cream color).Once he became ok with bottle and formula, we started using other types of bottles also.

It depends.. so try what is available in your area.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Baby to get used to formula taste and smell gives small drops first in spoon few times everyday , increase quantity if baby takes

5. karishmom

karishmom New IL'ite

Thanks all for the reply. I'm going to try the medela bottle.