Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

There is an Indian imitator, it's called Zapati. Not sure if they've brought the product to market. Seems to have fizzled out after some initial excitement. Zapati - Chapati on Click

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@Umanga out of respect for viswas wishes I wish to say no more on the hot button topic in that thread
    Do look into why India is one of the leading hubs for medical tourism for a diff perspective.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm really interested in the air fryer now. I've been looking for air fryers in Amazon since yesterday.
    What brands do you folks use?

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Amazon.com: GoWISE USA GW22639 8-in-1 Electric Air Fryer Digital Programmable Cooking Settings (3.7 Qt, Red 2.0), Chili Red: Kitchen & Dining is the one I have. Bought on amazon for $80 a few days ago. Price now shows $90. I didn't want to spend more for the Philips. The size is 3.7 qt and seems just right.

Chicken 65 came out OK. Bread rolls were better. Will have to try a few more recipes, a few times each. The one i have occupies exactly one 12 inch x 12 inch tile on the counter. The basket and container that need to be washed are also light. Am going to try beans, asparagus, cauliflower, and hopefully buffalo (chicken) wings.

kkrish, Nonya and Laks09 like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the recommendation.
    Wonder if fish fry and French fries would work out. Let me research a little.

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Rihana's GoWise looks really grand. In cultures where there are frequent black/brown' outs, it could also double as an Object of worship.
    For french fry making, one has to pull out the basket, about every 3 minutes (180 C or above setting) and shake it to move those on the bottom to the top. I wash and drain the potato-cut pieces, then toss them into a plastic bag, grind some rock salt (low Na himalaya salt from Costco) into the bag. Then grind some pepper into the bag, shake the bag to mix well. The salt dissolves in the moisture on the surface of the fries. Then add a small amount of oil into the bag and shake to coat the fries. Then empty the bag into the basket of the airfryer that had been preheated at 200C for five minutes. Set for 12 minutes and pull it out every 3 min or so, to shake it a little.

Laks09, Rihana and kkrish like this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

A few times each.... is the key. That machine looks quite nice. A festive sort of colour too.
    Keep the unit (it usually exhaust out in the back) close to the kitchen hood to exhaust the smell.
    When coating washed (cut-vegetables etc..) items, coat salt first, then other things, and oil last. This sequence will stick the salt, and spices to the piece when it is not that oily.
    If you need to put in skewers, no need to hunt for metal ones, you can use bamboo (Target sells them 80/$1.50, and you can get them in many other stores in bags of 100 count for a similar price), but soak the bamboo sticks in water for at least an hour or so, before you stick the meat, and other things on it. A wet bamboo does not cook itself into charcoal, before the food is correctly cooked.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Does that order -- oil last -- work for vegetables to be cooked in a convection oven also? I always add oil first, as that is what most recipes seem to say.