Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I went to Whole Foods intending to buy mutton urf lamb. The butcher is a very good friend of my son's these days. He said he doesn't "recommend" the lamb. Purana hoga. Ended up with beef cuts for stew. Made mutton-like-beef fry. Came out well it seems. It's easy. I'll post the recipe.

Yes. Mommy seasons it for me. The last time though customs-wala decided to X-ray my bags. It wasn't easy explaining what the round objects filled with something dense was(old clothes to soak up the water from seasoning). All my bags got opened and my DD's "uppu manga" got discarded. I'd say it's not worth the trouble.

I'm using the stackable separators a lot too. Feels like moms cooking. I think I need another IP for the subzis and frying etc.

2. Laks09

Tu bhi Kya yaad rakhegi, yeh le, pics.
    Yesterday's were all taken for tour jeejaji who didn't come home even though he was in town. Pics did the trick. I wish I had taken better pics.

It went out as I was cooking and then setting the table. He was home before I finished making the sharbath.

IMG_6327.JPG IMG_6330.JPG IMG_6336.JPG IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6329.JPG

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. Laks09

IMG_6489.JPG
    Its the beef in sheep's clothing :) Yup sent this too saying lunch pe toh aa jaa.

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Laks09

Food processor (I can chop/grate/make cake/chapathi batter by hand better)
    Capuchino maker(it has the frothing thing also)
    George Forman Grill
    Stand alone waffle maker(I found a better multitasking one - still make waffles daily for DS)
    The coconut grating attachment for wet grinder(I grate with my old fashioned stool grater)
    Atta kneading attachment for Grinder(never used)
    Steam press(not even used once)
    Steam floor vac(I mop good old fashioned way)
    I may have more stuff sitting around.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha! Loved the way you put it tu bhi Kya yaad rakhegi and then a compassionate ye le.
    Pakka yaad rakhongi!
    I will also remember that gray lacquer on your finger nail.

Tu to chupa rustom likhli! All that marinade, frying, inspecting and then you just read out names to us without sharing the pictures. All the behind-the-scene pictures and the glamorous rice and nuts picture yaad rakhongi.

Yeh bhi koi bhoolne wale pictures hai kya!

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I see what you are saying by comparing the picture with a fluffy floret baked in a oven. But what I don't see — how the alluded blogger described the wilted florets which could cheer up a bit with a saline bottle as "browned" and "caramelised".

I caught up over the weekend with another user of air-fryer and the intel I have so far gathered from these discussions is that air-frying is sleight of hand. It will get better over a period of time. Air-frying is a technique more than a procedure and with time and patience one improves upon it. Again, don't ask why an automated electrical machine demands an artisan supervision. May be over time one develops the knack of shuffling the settings for a perfect fry. I have deferred the purchase of air-fryer. I had plans to buy an idli steamer for years. I will scan for those in Amazon now. I hope idli steamer is not another round of enervating research.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Viswamitra, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For some reason, Gauri's seeking a formal OK to submit early cracked me up.. : ) The term 'enthusiastic cutlet' came to mind. : ) And the pun had me even more LOL. : )

Samosapedia.com

Hope the gone only means from a kitchen you own and operate, not gone from the internet of IL things. : )

satchitananda, Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Tatsam (Directly borrowed from Sanskrit, Vividh Bharati/Doordarshan Hindi) - Shraap
    Tadbhav (Inherited word, Sanskrit origin with Prakrit phonology) - Shaap

That is all I remember from the last Hindi class I took in high school! Shraap is the shudh Hindi version preferred by Hindi teachers. Shaap will get you red marks on your homework. : ) I've never heard anyone say shaap outside of the hindi dialects like Awadhi, and Bhojpuri.

Rihana, Laks09 and sokanasanah like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Somehow this version didn't stick in my mind - Sanskrit or Hindi (double whammy, jeez!) - and I had first-rate Hindi teachers, Gandhian, khadi 'n all; it's time to revisit Maithili Sharan Gupt and 'Panchavati' - there's got to be a 'shraap' in there somewhere! :lol:

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Now, after all this back and forth re: wafaa/jafaa (on the "An Ode to One Song" thread), I am reminded of this exchange in the Indian parliament from a few years ago, between the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and opposition leader Sushma Swaraj:

PM Singh (launching a broadside against the BJP, quoting Ghalib): "Humko hai unse wafa ki umeed, jo nahi jaante hain wafa kya hai (We hope for loyalty from those that do not know the meaning of the word)."

Sushma Swaraj (retaliating with a quote from Bashir Badr): "Kuch toh majboorian rahee hongee, yun hee koi bewafa nahee hota, (There must have been some compulsion, one is not disloyal for no reason at all)."

And then SS carries on with this (Bashir Badr): "Tumhe wafa yaad nahee, Humein jafa yaad nahee, Zindagi aur maut ke toh do hee tarane hain, ek tumhein yaad nahee, ek humein yaad naheen (You don't remember loyalty, we don't remember disloyalty, life and death have two rhythms, you don't remember one, we don't remember the other)."

Wah, wah!! I enjoyed that immensely!:lol:
    Would that our politicians were so civilized always!
    India Today report here.

Here is Padma Shri Syed Bashir at a mushaira. Enjoy! :beer-toast1:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Shanvy, Rihana, Gauri03 and 1 other person like this.