Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With all this aquafaba talk, I want to try the chocolate mousse :)
    Maybe we'll make mousse in the tree house.

satchitananda and Gauri03 like this.
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I fell down in a sewer once and my mom recognised and accepted me as her child after undergoing great trauma.

So, aquafaba might be less traumatic to my inured mom.

satchitananda, Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

And raise funds for our club!

You are aware that we are collecting funds for an air fryer and Instant Pot. Every little mouse or mousse helps in this fundraiser.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  4. Laks09

You forgot about the Zogurushi pressure cooker. That's on our list.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Ayyoyyo! This cooking diversion is giving me another school creeps, anxiety and insomnia. Wondering, am I missing out a big part of life. I have no modern electrical gadgets in my kitchen except for a microwave and hand blender. My cherished tools are a knife, a peeler, a rolling pin, a small hand blender and few pots.

I make all my biryanis, koftas, kebabs and desserts with them. I don't even have a grinder or a pressure cook. I soak daal and microwave and grind and mash up the next day in a hand blender. I am having xanax-level anxiety now on hearing about all these appliances. The only reason I had my eye on air-fryer is because I was unhealthily deep frying the koftas and I love vegetable kofta. I reason that I cook only for one or two people so my need is less that I can manage with a knife and pot. Last month a friend asked, how do you make your biryani in rice cooker. I said I have no ordinary cooker, forget about rice cooker. I soak rice and boil and take the parboiled rice and layer it up, slow cook and wrap a towel on the lid. Do you use oven? No. Do you use mixer? No. I roll the roasted spices or use the hand grinder and if both are not feasible I use store-bought masala powder. How many knives? One rugged knife for paring, chopping, boning, carving and sometimes I use that knife to open a packet also instead of scissors if I am too lazy. On seeing my kitchen, one of my friends commented that if I am lost in a trail, I can survive in the woods for three days before rescue is sent just with fire and tortoise shells.

I have to upgrade my cooking techniques. I feel so Jurassic still using archaic cooking processes.

Also note: My cooking quantity is less, so I am able to make do with these primitive tools.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well not Jurassic at all. I do 90% of my cooking in open pots and pans, and I cook for four. Pressure cooker is used only for dals and beans. I cook rice in an open pot. The rice cooks up faster and fluffier. Biryanis, pulaos too. All veggies are sauteed in cast iron skillets. Have you seen Good Eats by Alton Brown? He despises kitchen appliances that he calls 'unitaskers'. Machines that do only one thing and take up space. Waffle-makers, avocado peelers and the like. As a rule I do not buy unitaskers. All appliances are purchased based on a projected per-use cost. If I know I will use it enough to have a low cost per use, I buy it. I have exactly 5 appliances. The fifth added very recently.

1. A heavy duty mixer/blender (If you buy one appliance, buy this one)
    2. A stand mixer (for baking)
    3. A panini grill plus griddle
    4. An electric pressure cooker
    5. Rotimatic (My only unitasker but it gets used twice a day)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

These days there are so many quality posts that our next march should be “FP easy access button”

Phew! Such a relief on reading your prompt response. What in the name of Le Creuset is an avocado peeler?! I used a knife for peeling the avocado this afternoon for making guacamole. Where is the space in kitchen to stock and stack these wares?! My kitchen is so tiny that I have to throw away two mugs to make space for one new plate. I liked your explanation on a “unitasker”. I follow the same approach. If an appliance is a multi-tasker and makes similar and discrete tools redundant only then I (might) go for it. I had a rice cooker and pressure cooker few years ago. I abandoned them both as I was using very less of them. I use the masoor or moong daal which cooks in microwave and easy to fork up and mash later. Tuvar doesn't cook well in microwave so I use less of it.

I came across augerbine recipes like bharali vangi and air-fried aubergine in the Lunch Ideas thread. Trying out that bharali now. Will post pictures later. For a moment, I had a panic attack there thinking if everyone has moved over to hi-tech gadgets while I am languishing in my chula. In that panic I even called up a friend and inquired if he is using cooker ..any cooker any fryer...any gadget marketed in the past ten years to which he inquired if my anxiety also includes frying pan for omelette, his only loyal aide. That’s the reason I prefer men as friends. They come out too innocent and confused with my untimely pokes.

Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  8. Laks09

@Iravati - Hmmm.... I just made beef fry in the cast iron skillet after cooking it in the prestige meat-wala cooker. I still don't have an IP for meats.
    Fish curry is made in a mud pot.
    I made ghee rice and Kerala shrimp roast yesterday on the stove top.
    I fried aloo in my "vegetarian" cast iron skillet.
    For the most part, I use a marble pounder that I have for all the ginger/garlic/masala pounding.

I did cook veggies for vegetable kurma in the instant pot. I also made idiyappams in it. Dals in the instant pot. I make Channa/Rajma etc in a slow cooker. That's the only way my bechara H's ailing tummy will allow.

I make matta rice most often. Old fashioned way is the only way to make it. White rice, pulavs - IP.
    Biriyani - stove top rice and stove top method(won't come out well in the oven for me)

I have a ton of gadgets. Don't ask me how I use it all. I do love the IP. It's easier to use it and not worry about when to put the weight on, when to take it off, when to put the cooker under the water to take the weight off etc.

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I've been told that Kerala parotta and beef fry is a must-eat-before-you-die meal. Haven't been able to find a good place to eat it yet. I'm sure gonna try it one of these days! : ) Or better yet you post a step by step recipe, starting from which cuts of beef to buy. I've never bought or cooked beef so I have no idea.

Did you get your clay pot from India? I've seen some on Amazon but there aren't enough reviews to decide if they are worth it.

The one thing I love about the IP is being able to cook rice for DD and quinoa/barley/millets for the adults, at the same time using the inserts. My DD needs white rice at least once a day and the main pot is too big. I do the same with dals. Cook them in the stackable containers and finish off on the stove top.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Where is the picture? How can people not take a picture when they make such delicious curries?
    I eat beef but only as meat balls. Beef and pork meatballs and pork sausages. I think I had once beef rendang.

You better come up with a good excuse for not taking a picture again this time.

Are you still thinking what excuse to come up with? Think hard. Three back-to-back temptations and not one picture. You better come up with a sturdy excuse.

I wish I could use such nifty gadgets to get the work done swifter and finer. My constraints : (1) My kitchen is too small. When I took the apartment, cooking was the last thing in my mind. Cooking and me? No way (2) I get bored of things very quickly. In my excitement I bought a juicer and within a month gave it away to a friend when my fascination wore away. (3) I get very confused with gadgets (any kind, not just kitchen appliances). (final) Wait and watch, I will move over to ceramic pottery or channapatna wooden toys in few days and my (disused) stove hob will be used to host the artwork I fancy. :rolleyes:

Laks09 likes this.