1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Distance Myself From "weird-vibe" People Without Being Disrespectful

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I'm lady in late-30s, I enjoy being friendly with people. Being friendly helps me cheer up.

The below is a really silly question, and I need your guidance in dealing with simple social situations. I hadn't had much exposure to people (except mainly negative ones)

Here is some background information.

Sometimes I am too friendly and it had caused several things
    - low productivity at work - I posted another thread about this but now I wear headphones and/or listen to traditional Punjabi folk music (perhaps that keeps my energy up at 4pm!) to focus only on work, i.e. keep track of progress on spreadsheets

- one recently divorced, soon to be married male tried to be too friendly with me (non-permanent government employee, passed hard IT exam, earns about same amount as me, if that matters). To the point he started asking personal questions about my life. Once at holiday party, he asked if I wanted to go somewhere separate to get food. I replied that we should also invite the whole team to come along with us. Now I ignore him when he says "hello" or "good morning". He is a real time-waster and other co-workers acknowledge that he creates lot of noise (nothing much you can do, this is government agency). He also gives too much info on his private life and makes up half his stories. In other words, a bullshitter.

- another older male, near retirement, divorced, job security (permanent gov't employee, cannot get fired, even goes on Match.com at work, but he gets paid half my salary, if that matters) was at first saying good morning, then one or two times touched my upper back, upper arms, and I cringed away. The other day he came to my desk while I was deep at work (my headphones were off). I lifted my finger and said he saw me bite my nails. I replied that I am busy working and he walked away. Since then, he is looking at me from a distance, but barely talks to me, which is good.

- each morning on my way to work I try to say "Good Morning" or "Ram Ram Jai Shri Krishna" (well, to this one Desi newsstand owner) to as many people as possible. However, I get "weird" feeling with one particular person. He sells newspapers at subway station. He says "Good Morning", gives "fist-bumps", "high-fives" to the various commuters he sees daily. One day he also said "Good Morning" to me and I also say "Good Morning". Sometimes he will compliment me if I am wearing pretty skirt. Then he offered "high-five". And just so I don't upset him (he might be dangerous), I return the "high-five". This has happened numerous times. Each time I am about to enter the subway, I am thinking I really don't want to give "high-five", but I don't want to start trouble.

Question: How I respectfully decline giving "high-five", but still say Good Morning. I get not-so-nice feeling about this person, but if I'm rude, person may do something, i.e. commit crime, this is low-income metropolitan area. One time someone was badgering me, I screamed for him to leave me alone and no one came to my aid even though there were parents taking their kids to school, etc (and everyone craps on India!).

Whereas in workplace the males (especially those earning less than me) tend to back down, because subconsciously they are scared I will do something. This is how the world/workplace works, hence I mentioned salary comparison - plz don't take offense.

Again, how do I politely decline "over-friendliness". I love to be friendly and happy, but unfortunately some people are not nice and see it as invitation for something unsavory.

2. ChennaiExpress

Just an update.

I watched an unrelated video presentation, and the presenter said to someone in audience, "You are an Adult, just say No"

In my case, I wish to be more assertive.

Slowly, slowly I am attempting to distance myself from unwanted people.

Few days ago I started to give a thumb-up. When the person came to me, I gave thumb-up and smiled.

Just trying to be tactful because you simply don't know how people react.

As for co-workers, I'm learning to relax and be friendly with them at work (we see each other most of day, might as well!)

But wow, sometimes you learn interesting things from most unexpected places.

And I read lot of posts where people are in similar situation, i.e. pressure to marry, rude neighbors.

We have to remind ourselves we are adults and we can say no.

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Just learn to be wary of people. They are not your friends, they want something from you. I know it can be difficult in the West where you are taught to smile from an early age and be very enthusiastic. If you were in India, God knows where that smile and thumbs-up would have landed you. Anyway, my suggestion would be to be very cautious in the beginning. Observe and assess people before getting into any kind of relationship with them (even a high-five relationship). Once you have observed somebody's behaviour over an extended period of time and deemed them suitable, open up to them gradually only then.

Always be guarded, especially in the beginning. In your case, I do not see too much of a need to worry because you are in a good position at work, just be wary of the Indians there. So far, your worst encounters seem to be with them. Whites know when to keep their distance.

The one thing Indians can teach you is not to smile. Just maintain a neutral, placid expression and be somewhat reserved. In any case, I hope you have stopped high-fiving the newspaper vendor at the subway station.

Edit: I am looking forward to the day when we can all work from home and avoid our unseemly colleagues.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    ChennaiExpress likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

Yes ..... I will have sad memories of India. Hopefully I'll assess people better in USA and smile at them

You are right. So far, it's mostly the Indian ladies at office are around my age who talk to me here and there. I guess they see I am Americanized (i.e. I don't wear skinny pants and knee-length dresses the way they do ---- ironic, isn't it). But they say I am a sweet lady. One lady tells me her family drama every now and again, about having to pick up her parents from airport, how her sister is a b*** for not helping.

But yes you are right, must keep distance.

That's true.

Yes, I stopped high-fiving the newspaper vendor. Still tensed when I pass through that part of subway each morning, but this is my social anxiety (which I am working to get over). Otherwise, the newspaper vendor is very chatty and social with people who pass through (mix of whites, african americans, hispanics, mostly).

And yesterday when I offered a distant thumbs up, he asked if I am fasting from sunup to sundown, and I said "yeah, yeah", as if I'm mentally slow and English is my second language (people get that impression of me, since I wear floor-length skirts, am reserved, etc ------ sometimes looking and acting dumb and naive works in my favor)

Umanga likes this.
  5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

People are a pain, I don't know why we bother with them. I would stop thumbs-uping altogether if I were you. I haven't given a single thumbs-up to anybody since I returned to India. Not sure that would work in the West though.

I think this forum has a good concentration of introverted, highly-sensitive and socially anxious people. "Acting dumb and naive" is just what introverts do, because we need time to assess the situation. We cannot respond instantaneously the way extroverts would prefer us to.

So, you are saying that even though you are the American one, they are the ones wearing tight-fitting clothing? Haha :)

6. ChennaiExpress

Gradually I am doing away with giving thumb up. I am rushing for the train in the morning. Honestly I try to avoid the person if possible. I really wish I had more confidence in myself and better assessing situations. What if the person gets violent and I have to call the police? What if the police ignore me? And there is always victim blaming, i.e. I bought the situation on myself.

Honestly I am so embarrassed by this type of problem. It has really held me back and put me in unpleasant situations.

And yes, even thought I am they American one, they are the ones wearing tight-fitting clothing.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  7. ChennaiExpress

You know what, I will stop the thumbs up.

If person says hi, then I will say hi.

Honestly if someone felt unconfortable saying good morning to me, I would immediately stop

I used to say "Ram Ram Jai Shri Krishna" to someone in morning, he seemed bothered, and I stopped.

Will keep you posted.