1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old Age And Health

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, May 27, 2017.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Old age of parents.. this is the time they need you most…
    You could still remember their worries for you, when you didn’t find them, the world seems unsafe, things that happen unwieldy. You cannot turn to them anymore, and it changes your life forever. There is no one on earth who knew you from the day you were born; who knew why you cried, or when you’d had enough food; who knew exactly what to say when you were hurting; and who encouraged you to grow a good heart. When that layer goes, whatever is left of your childhood goes with them.- Sujith M

In present age old parents have to stay alone as their children are abroad. Cant blame them also as their work is such and now a days at the age of 30 to 40 only they have health problems but they dont tell us because we get worried. Life is so hectic now a days children have to help their children to be smart and they have so many activities , every parent want their children to be the best as well as they are busy in their work, both husband and wife have to work .

Since two days I am not well, feeling feverish and have vericose veins problems so that was not allowing me to keep my feet in one position, day before night did not have sleep was calling out the Gods , my mother and father, then in midnight told my husband to make hot milk as was having head ache too. Felt sorry I had to disturb his sleep but what to do . That time only was thinking the children should have been there . Yesterday somehow got up and made chapathi, baji and rasam andbeing Friday did archana to Devi too. Husband went for Bhagavada sapthangam and I took rest. Had to pay telephone bill , so at 12.30 took an auto and went and paid. Sometimes life is very easy when there is no health problems but when health troubles everything becomes difficult. Yesterday night was not bad, did not sleep so well but was better than day before. Today also not so good but thought of going for sapthangam so that can hear some good things, meet people

Yesterday met the maid of opposite neighbour and she was saying you have become thin. i WAS telling I am getting old I think thats why this change, more than the body my mind is restless sometimes. She was saying atleast you keep yourself busy , a lady in whose house I work she is also your age but bedridden . I said I have to thank God for that for keeping me busy. When someone is there to look after us we feel lazy and dont feel like doing anywork. Doing work keeps us busy and active.

Sometimes our biggest weakness can become our biggest strength. ~

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Take care Aunty! It's impressive that you keep busy and working even with some issues. I am a new member and have been reading some of your posts and have enjoyed reading each one. Keep posting because you inspire and take care!

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima, sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell and not able to sleep too well. Yes, we do wish there was someone to take care of us at such times, but it is not always possible. Vijima, I have a suggestion. Why don't you try to reduce your requirement to go out by doing things like giving a bank mandate to the electricity board and for telephone bills. That way the bills will be deducted directly from the bank account. You don't have to run to the office and wait in queues.

For groceries, call your local grocer by phone and give a list of things which can be delivered at home. Or order online from bigbasket.com or any such online store which is available close to you. That will leave only milk and vegetables. Get the milk delivered at home. Vegetables are best bought by ourselves. Online does not work for that because you cannot be guaranteed of fresh stuff.

I agree, doing work keeps our minds and bodies busy, but that too should be in moderation. No point pushing the body beyond its endurance limit.

As for weight loss or shrinking, it could be due to calcium deficiency. Please drink a lot of milk, buttermilk, curd etc. and take Shelcal every day. Consult your doctor and ask him to recommend how much to take.

Please take care Vijima.

4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear viji maami,
    sorry to hear u not keeping well. This too shall pass and you are already on your feet and on the go!
    I was going to suggest things to make things easy, but reading Satchi's post is enough. She has said what i had in mind also. My husband was going personally to the Bangalore One centre to pay all the uitility bills and he was adamant all these years that paying manually is always safe etc. But after my continuous pestering and after our stint abroad for 2 months when i had to pay online, he finally accepted and now i continue to pay the bills online only. If you are not comfortable paying online, you can make arrangement with your savings bank account and they will do the needful. I feel it is better to reduce the outside errands to the extent feasible. When you feel good, you can always go for walks etc.
    Take care and keep us posted.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    Don't exert too much when you are not well. Nowadays we can pay all utility bills through internet banking. Or else you can give a letter to your bank to deduct money from your SB account and pay the bills for phone and electricity. We pay all bills through internet and order grocery from big basket. Milk is delivered at home. Once in a week or once in two three days you can by vegetables and keep them in the fridge.
    Take care of your health and if you are not too well puja also could be deferred for next day. Goddess also will understand our difficulty.
    PS

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    I have nothing to add, since all others have advised you in the proper direction.We might have done so many things earlier.We would have walked so many miles.Deterioration does not progress gradually in slow proportions.My sister who is 93,was quite Ok till last Sep moving about to temple, vegetable shop in her traditional madisar.
    A day's fever and lung congestion has made her bedridden.The deterioration was unbelievably fast.Madisar, to 6 yards to nightie to a simple cloth strewn over her-all these happened within a week.
    It is correct, once we become non involving, we will become conditioned to that habituality.But reducing strain in gradual measures will be of much help.
    We have to get used to modern media, whether we like or not.

Jayasala 42

iyerviji and joylokhi like this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

How does the mr.iyerviji show his appreciation for the old lady doing all the chores at home, and also paying phone bill in person ? Seems to me that the fit one has to learn to do some chores for the household, and not wander off to a BG-sapthangam.
    Yes; I totally agree. The children should come around and talk to the man.

iyerviji likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Nonya since you wrote about my husband i am replying first. My husband is very understanding and helpful person. If I had told him he would have done it. He is a social worker and four years older. Than me. We akways share our work. He hoes to help the house when any death is there and That too any time. I have no complaints against. Him.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Pyari Viji,

You write from the heart. The way you describe it, we can picture you getting up in the night.. and making the chapathi and rasam.. I hope the weather cools down more and you feel better soon.

KashmirFlower, iyerviji and Nonya like this.
  10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Hope you are feeling better today, Viji Mammi.

Reading your post this monday morning, it has me in tears. I need to have some honest conversations with my parents and brother, just preparing myself emotionally before doing that.
    Yesterday we went to a sight seeing place , and we rented a wheelchair for my mum, the children took turns to push her around, seeing her in a wheel chair tugs my heart.
    This morning I saw my dad sleeping, he has shrunk so much, seeing his small form brought a lump in my throat .
    Not ready yet, not ready yet to have those honest conversations ...

So true.

KashmirFlower and iyerviji like this.