100 Days of Positivity

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I search for a word to describe, but le mot juste escapes me. The closest that come to mind, on realizing what they are supposed to connote, are so apologetic as to excuse themselves for me: content, satiated, sanguine, serenity, fulfilled. The closest is this:

ye aasmaan, ye baadal, ye raaste, ye hawaa
    har ek cheez hai apni jagah thikaane se
    ... ... shikaayat nahi zamane se

(earth, wind, sky are in their place, properly. No complaints with the world).

Makes me wish for an external entity to go thank or something. God, tusi ho tho nahin, but by God, tusi great ho. (There's no God, but God is great!).

A day for a positive decadence. A day to unabashedly rest on one's laurels -- real, perceived, prescribed.

And to find a picture of a man sitting on laurels. :cool:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Giri12, ashima10, Laks09 and 2 others like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Positive Week

1) Cataract surgeries are over for my wife and the surgeon said today that both eyes are looking great. She should be able to have a clear vision in the next 15-30 days. There is a good chance she may not need to wear glasses anymore. Last week, I gave her rest for three days from cooking and this time it was just a day and half and she is back into action

2) Finally, the spine surgeon moved my appointment forward by three weeks and cleared me from any spinal stenosis. He said all my problems are with some twisted muscles in L-5 S-1 area. Nerves conduction test is normal but the EMG showed abnormal muscles. I am going to the Conservative Doctor and Physio to fix my back late May and early June respectively. I don't have to bend forward to walk anymore.

3) My son told me during his last visit, 3-D app up and running with shape corrections fixed and his third journal paper published, the entire research he conducted up to now will become his CFD thesis. He is a year away from finishing his education once and for all, hopefully.

It is time to retire. :)

Viswa

Giri12, ashima10, Laks09 and 4 others like this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

When Carrie Fisher passed away last year in December, and like the rest of the world when I was scrambling to find out more about her, I came across her memoir Wishful Drinking. Link to the excerpt of her book: here

This quote appealed to me very much in that book: “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”

I clipped that quote in my diary. Today, I was going through my past notes to review my grammar progress and stumbled on that entry. I wish there was a similar anti-dote quote on how to purge the poisonous resentment.

Loved Carrie's expression and style!

4. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

I was watching this saas-bahu serial recently just for time pass. There is a string of episodes, each of which shows the heroine's entire being (speech, thought, action) about another person: one time she is the ideal daughter to the father, another time to the mother, another episode the perfect sister, the perfect mother whose life revolves around her child, the dutiful wife, the ideal DIL, SIL, even as much as a supportive friend who puts her friends ahead of her. I recall this being the last of episodes I saw of this serial and never went back to it.

It just bothered me that our whole lives revolve around our roles in family. If I turn this mirror inwards and look within who am I? What would I like to do? How would I spend my time, my money... I am not talking about "woman power" or "its my choice" or running to a salon and spending on food clothes and accessories. The point is how am I making myself a focus point in life in a healthy way.

So here goes my 100 days of positivity where I am making a conscious choice to minimize thinking, talking, obsessing, ruminating, complaining, posting on IL about family, relatives, etc. To train and focus my mind to identify myself without associating with anyone else.

What would IndusLadies look like if for 100 days there are no threads that have to do with marriage, parenting, in-laws, siblings, kids, etc. If it were just about us. I know there are posters like that here and I respect them for that. I am going to give this a try. And try to find myself when everyone else settles down to the sediment.

Giri12, ashima10, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Friday, O'Friday,
    The awaited round up of the week.
    What a naughty getaway!
    The day is distinguished as a freak.

I wake up normal.
    I brush off shining.
    Get rid of my formals.
    No fretting or whining.

I connect three dots, and two circles with a line.
    My exquisite and geometric kolam!
    I record my voice and appraise it fine.
    (Singing to an imaginary harmonium)
    I cobble a shapeless poem,
    Post it in a clueless forum.

Upload everything as splendid art,
    Wait for a brick or a reply.
    But all pretend to dart,
    Then one says, give it another try.
    Another says, it's not her fault,
    That's her torture in sly.

Today is when I eat a portion more.
    Because it is ok to feel later sore.
    Enjoy the month's last Friday.
    Tomorrow is a doubtful might or may.

Giri12, Sandycandy, jskls and 5 others like this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

(will post as a separate thread)

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's almost a year since I had my dreadful stroke. My right eye has switched itself off and has become just a cosmetic addition. But my left eye has been a great sport. What are friends for, it declared loud and clear. It was not just mere bravado. It has swung into action and helps to continue doing whatever I was doing with both my eyes intact. My right index finger runs around the key board aided by my left eye. The distance between my right hand and left eye being more than my right eye and right finger, I tend to make more mistakes. But then it has now given me a valid excuse for my customary spelling mistakes. Life is gooood!(It's not a spelling mistake. It is my exuberance!)

Giri12, iyerviji, sokanasanah and 7 others like this.
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You, you, you woman better give it to me!

Gauri: Arey, I always give it to you.
    Ira: Give it double this time!
    Gauri: There is only one "like" how do I give it double.
    Ira: I don't know how but make it a "likkkkkke"

There is nothing more exciting and exuuuuberant than finding everyone chat up in camaderie and fun.

Cheeniya, if one of your eyes is shut, you cruelly inflict the same on me by making one of my eyes pop out on seeing you here. Nice to catch people in spots they don't frequent when they perk up in an affectionate gesture or a communal nod. I may or might be the only soul who rejoices over such happenings but damn! it is such a good feeling to bond over "nothingness" in life.

Gauri: There you go tooting again!
    Ira: If we don't toot between friends, where do we toot?
    Gauri: Haan! So you telling me your poem did it.
    Ira: Not one, but two back to back poems.
    Gauri: Ayyo ! I am worried after paint, ink, tree tops and inscrutable posters, you will slam us with your poetry now.
    Ira: Arz kiya tho ...
    Gauri: The only positive note I see here is that you and I can or could derive joy from these interactions here while rest see us as monkeys chuckling over in silly banter and memos and notes and a positron thread. Well, a certain twisted wiring should exist to enjoooooooy such trivial observations in life.

Ira: I should compose more limericks.
    Gauri: (face palm)

Giri12, Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If the positivity thread had to recollect its positivities, it would start with, "Today Cheeniya posted a message for me..." : )

Welcome CS! Your grace in the face of hardship, wit, wisdom and humor have put many a smile on our faces. It is an inexpressible joy to see you here!

Giri12, jskls, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice to see you here @aamrapali Hope this exercise helps you in your search for self.

Rihana, aamrapali and satchitananda like this.