Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi there @sokanasanah

I see.
    But then, by your definition a majority of the population are peculiar.
    We all want to hold on to something of our past. No one just moves on to the future. It is impossible.
    • Folks enjoy pizza but still go back to paruppu usili
    • Sidney Sheldon readers can still quote Shakespeare
    • We relish ice cream but go home and prepare paal payasam.
    • We still made vadais and payasams to celebrate our festivals; we don’t offer sandwich and coke for neivedhyam (yet). So why only target carnatic music audiences?

But that's what you said soks. You said "Carnatic audiences are peculiar", not "all audiences". Now you say differently. Any way I am not going to get into this as it is immaterial to the topic.

That's what society is made up of. Some love old music and some love new, some like jazz, and some like the blues. Different tastes, different convictions.

Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, and Brahms are not just any music composers. They gave the world something above and beyond what their predecessor gave. They were pioneers in their form of music setting the highest standard. They have stood the test of time. Something about their music still penetrates the soul and the experience is something that none other can equal. That is why folks want their music over and over again- to enjoy, to relish, and they never get tired.

Composers come and go but the greatest will remain forever.

Same with the Carnatic... the trinity - Thyagaraja, Muthuswami Dikshitar, and Shyama Sastri- they were pioneers in bringing out noticeable changes to carnatic music that existed in their time. They introduced new ragas, and brought out innovations in handling ragams. These and many more of their contributions to Carnatic music are why they are still heralded as the great trinity.

Then there are Purandara dasa, the father of Carnatic music, Annamacharya, and Oothukadu Venkatasubbaiar, and many more who have placed their signatures to their contributions to this music.

No society, or culture will flourish if it forgets and ignores its predecessors and their contributions.
    Can we let go of Newton or Galileo just because we know much more today?
    Should we ignore Chaucer, Spencer, Milton, Jane Austen, Kalki, Tagore and so many just because newer authors and poets abound today?
    Can we forget Pandit RaviShankar just because Anoushka plays just as or even more beautifully?

Our predecessors are the ladders we climb on to see the world better and because of the foundations they laid we are able to make things better. We kick them away, and we fall down, mightily.

You are welcome. I am glad you find it informative.
    Your complaint is not valid; neither is your assumption that contemporary composers’ songs are not performed but are confined to recordings.

I have not come away from any kutcheri where a contemporary composition is not sung or played. Usually after the main piece there will always be two or three contemporary pieces. Some are beginning to take contemporary songs for their elaborate main piece too. I have heard many compositions of the composers that I had listed in live kutcheris.

Be it is Arunagirinathar, Andal, Annamacharchy, Thyagaraja, Papansam sivan, or Dr. BMK - the carnatic music world considers everyone a gem and no one is ignored.

Each artist tries to include as wide a range and as many varied composers in a two-three hour kutcheri.

A kutcheri is a feast to the ears and also to the mind – It has all items. The audience are provided with a variety of old, new, fast, slow, fun, and sad. Something for everyone.

I reserve my opinion on this.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aah.. the pictures are a sight for a hungry tummy. : ) A nice break as I catch up on the past 3 pages and peruse le maamla de 'peculiar audiences' :tonguewink:

Coming back to the non-veg.. the neighbor's forte is chicken. Those pictures you posted have me wishing we could have an active thread on food that is not ghaas-phoos. : )

Made this Chicken 65 as I said hello to my air-fryer.
    chicken65.jpg

Amica, Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Oh dear! I'd have to get very lawyerly to address this, but the simple version would be - peculiar in their combination of openness and (apparent) closed-mindedness to novelty. It was said with a measure of affection! For example, I don't see Hindustani music performed on the saxophone - hence the 'Carnatic'.
    Yes, but I am also interested in the complement. While keeping in mind where we come from, we still walk to toward tomorrow. We are both custodians of the old and creators of the new. The arrow of time is relentless. No society or culture will flourish if it ignores the present and the future. Preservation is necessary, but not sufficient. I'm not implying that you said otherwise, just clarifying my emphasis.

As for the concert repertoire, I was asking a genuine question. I wasn't taking a position. I am very ignorant of music. I have no technical knowledge whatsoever. Etho konjam sevi-jnaanam, kelvi-jnaanam undu, avvalavu-thaan!:roflmao:

செவியுணவிற் கேள்வி யுடையார் அவியுணவின்
    ஆன்றாரோ டொப்பர் நிலத்து.

5. sokanasanah

For a second there I thought you two were members of some 'Facebook Page' concerning education - damn that Zuckerberg, 'F' immediately suggests FB, even to a non-user. Only after a while did I realize what you were referring to. I guess I'll need a tux for the opening of the envelopes at the award ceremony? I'd better get cracking!:lol:

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

No worries @sokanasanah . I already mentioned that this was immaterial. There was no need to defend. This is not important at all.
    Ok. Will not write any more because I already stated that the carnatic music world considers everyone important.
    Appadiya? I thought it was your opinion. I did not see a question mark, that's why. :)

I am not too knowledgeable either; just enough to defend some of its key strengths.

So, இங்கே நான் எழுதியது உதவியதா ? உங்கள் ஞானம் விருத்தி அடைந்ததா ?
    ஆக நீங்கள் தேவர்களுக்கு இணை ஆகிறீர்கள் இல்லையா ? :)

7. sokanasanah

Yes, that was I was trying to say, re: your list!:wink1:

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You are kidding! I was hunting for air fryer junkies for months and could not find any. I did not inquire in IL though.
    How's air fryer? I have a lot of queries. Seriously woman, I was researching air-fryers and halogen ovens few months ago.

There is no consistent way of writing that fryer beast: “air fryer”, “air-fryer”, “airfryer”. Then I realized, such a gadget has a long way to go in fixing its lexical appeal as well as percolate into oil-free consciousness of public. I gave up! Now that you brought it up again, I am interested.

I have only started my “international foray” in culinary landscape. Here's chicken and herbs meatballs in a tomato and basil sauce. Picture is clipped and bad because I didn't realize few days ago that I would be sharing the picture here in IL, warna, usko thoda photogenic karti.

ChickenMB.PNG

Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I don't cook much exotic non-veg at home.

But the mundane chicken biryani, egg biryani, lamb biryani, fish and prawns pakoras and grilled crayfish can have a corner. I love fish and would like to explore the galore. I prefer sea bass, haddock and red snapper. Any suggestions most welcome.

Damn! I was low on non-veg for months and now you are tempting me.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Is anyone interested?

Would such a reboot turn out to be mistake followed by chafing regret?

Do we need an active language thread of some form: reading or writing or observational commentary?