1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Driver's Licence In Us

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by penpaal, May 25, 2017.

1. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

I am trying to learn driving . My h doesn't much time to teach me . I am new to this place, I don't have any friends to help me. I have approached a professional service . Can someone guide me.

1)How many classes you have to take
    2)Left turn, right turn ,parking , parallel parking
    Is there anything else to learn.

Please guide how was your experience with professional service and how many classes minimum has to take. how many months you have practiced before taking the final driving test.

gknew and Sunshine04 like this.

2. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

I had some driving experience in India before coming to US. I had obtained the Internal drivers license. Here in US, I took the driving training from Sears authorized driving school. They did a good job of teaching, they gave feedback of what I was doing good and the part I needed to improve. After 1-2 classes/drivng around, you will have an idea of how many classes you will need.
    Also I used to practice in empty parking lots over the weekend with my husband and that helped too.

penpaal and gknew like this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for starting this thread. I was about to start a thread abt driving license and lessons. I am planning to learn driving and enquired in 3 diff centres. I dont have any driving experience in india. They have 6hr/8hr/10hr driving sessions. I am not sure how many hours required to learn and get ready for a road test.
    Looking for inputs from other ILs.

penpaal likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Go with the mid size package. Not too little not too much.
    Also ask if they will take you for the driving test. You will be more comfortable driving during the test if it the same car you learnt driving. That may cost a bit more. But it is worth the money.

penpaal and gknew like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Here's a bit of advice I give undergraduates, in a different context:
    It's not about getting a license. It's about being a safe, confident, defensive driver, both for your own sake and for that of others on the road. Someone I know was almost killed recently, on a crosswalk (!) by an oblivious driver. Weeks of hospitalization and months of physiotherapy followed, not to mention a lawsuit against the driver to recover medical expenses. I don't mean to scare you. I'm just trying to remind you of what is at stake. Start with whatever 'package' is convenient and then take as many lessons as you need to feel confident that you are not a menace on the street.
    Good Luck!:beer-toast1:

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Laks09, gknew, penpaal and 3 others like this.
  6. iliketotravel

iliketotravel Bronze IL'ite

I am really glad that you your husband or friends are not teaching you. This will force you to go to a professional services which is very safe and will be very productive, and you will find it much more stressfree.The professional trainers are equipped with cars, to help correct any mistakes or mishaps, if they were to happen.

To start with, on deciding how many classes, i would suggest atleast a 10. try taking it every alternate day, this way it will help you build some confidence, every time you go behind the wheel, with your instructor. If you have any prior experience,drving in India, you could reduce the number of classes depending on your confidence.

Depending on which state you live in, each state has its own set of rules and the areas that they would be testing their candidates on, usually the ones they would test are, car operation, lights, turns, reverse, parallel parking, perpendicular parking, etc. You could go to the RMV/DMV and get the instruction manual or check online if they have these manuals available online.

Good luck with your exam, its and interesting journey and a major step in getting independant in USA.

gknew, penpaal and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Learning with a professional driving instructor really helps. I would recommend at least 5 classes. Good luck with the driving test ! Drive safe !

penpaal likes this.
  8. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Agree with all the above. I had been driving in India. When I came here my husband taught me driving. we used to practice in an empty parking lot. But still I took 4 lessons at a driving school and mastered parallel parking, 3 point turns, etc. Got to know few more rules and got lot more confidence. Most important thing I learned was driving is a privilege and not right.
    After getting my learners permit what we did was I used to pickup and dropoff my DH to work which gave me more confidence and vision needed for driving.

penpaal likes this.