1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent Help - Visiting India - Passport Expiring Before Return

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by SriVen, May 23, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had to get lifetime visa for OCI restamped in my children's passport each time I renewed their passport. That's the rule for minors. All PIO/OCI visas need to be restamped in their new passports. It's a long process. Hence I suggested you get a visitor visa if you end up applying for a new passport now.

I have renewed mine and my DD's US passports in India. It took 2 weeks to get it done back then. You need an appointment with the consulate to get it done. If you are intending to renew in India, do call the consulate ahead of time and get the paper work organized. You need age progressive photos of the child etc for renewal in the US consulate in India.

SriVen likes this.
  2. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

sure
    She is having USA passport with PIO card.

3. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

yes we got appointment in USA consulate.but don't know.Her passport is expiring just 2 days before the return to USA date.

4. Laks09

Check with the airline if they will even let you board. Your return date has to be prior to expiry and some airlines are very strict about it.

5. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

Ok.I will ask my husband to check with airlines.

6. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

I called the airlines and asked .They ask us to take a document that states my daughter allow to travel with that passport.I don't know how to and where to get the document.we have the U.S. consulate appointment letter,and DS11 document only.Any one please tell me where to get the document.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm not sure which authority can issue such a letter. Your daughter has a valid PIO card. If at all someone questions show the consulate appointment letter. Your primary hurdle is the fact that the expiry date on the passport is prior to the return date. An overzealous airline employee or immigration official could give you grief about it. Can you change your return date? I suppose it will be expensive and might not be feasible. I checked online, and it seems like India doesn't have the six month validity requirement. Just to be safe call the Indian consulate tomorrow and confirm requirements for entry. Good luck!

Laks09 and SriVen like this.
  8. Laks09

Do you have an Indian consulate nearby? Try calling them and requesting a letter.
    Since the airline already told you to get a letter, its best to find a way to get one rather than have trouble at the airport.
    Also, please go early enough for check in so you have time.

When are you traveling? I was just looking into expidated passport for myself and it is taking a couple of weeks to get it.

9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I think you may get it renewed fast by contacting US consulate. One of my friend did it when his father passed away.He traveled to Washington and get it done and traveled to India on the same day.

Anyway check the following...

Get a Passport in a Hurry

Better option is to contact them

SriVen likes this.
  10. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

My husband called airlines today.He was said to check with USA consulate.We checked as far now there is no problem in leaving USA.I will update tomorrow.

Laks09 likes this.