1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sil Is Really Is Costing Our Family Too Much

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by gitika, May 22, 2017.

1. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

OP, it is entirely upto your parents to decide how long they want to entertain as it's their money, their house n well, their hard work.

Let go of the obsession you have over how she looks, it really doesn't matter to anyone apart from your brother. And it doesn't seem to bother your parents either as they are treating her like a queen even with bad looks (as you said).

It looks like you are jealous and angry because she seemed to have taken your place and is getting the life that you wanted from your parents. Your jealousy n anger is very normal, any daughter would feel that because they feel possessive about their family.

Your sil is not to be blamed in this situation, it's your family's doing. If someone is pampering you, will you voluntarily say "stop pampering me"? Why should she not enjoy it when she is getting it? She will continue to enjoy it till your parents stop.

You can talk n try to clarify with your parents about why she is being treated well when you were never treated well. Only your parents can answer this. Try to communicate with them and work out a mid level deal about what they can do to treat you a lil better now. Past is past, can't do anything about it. So focus on what can be done in the future.

Financially, yes it is smart to safeguard your property as they may spend it on their bahu. So continue that.

You know the saying, "if you can't beat them, join them". Maybe put in an effort to become friends with your sil and you too enjoy the perks from your folks. I know it's easier said than done, but still, just giving you an option.

N anyways if you want to have any relationship with your brother in the future, you may need to be cordial with your sil. As a wife, she does have the power to make him hate you all.

If in case, you are suma as well, you had mentioned that your mom doesn't have a good relationship with you, so she maybe more interested to please her dil to keep her son n grandkid with her... You need to stop focusing on others lives. I would recommend you to look for a good proposal and focus on getting married to a guy you like so you can focus on building your own beautiful life rather than an unnecessary landlord or sil drama. How long do you want to struggle like this as you clearly need your fathers or landlords assistance over any issues and a good match can be there for you. You really need to focus on your life and be positive. Good luck!

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    I understand your feelings and concern.
    First reading the beginning paragraphs i thought if your mom and dad are fine doing service to DIL and son, why you worrying abt them.
    But in later paragraphs you wrote, she creates huge drama so your parents are scared of society.
    They are your parents and brother. seeing them going a disaster route you not able to keep quite.

The main reason for your SIL to behave such way is your brother. He is letting her order things to your parents, so she feels great of herself and also doing what ever she want. She is taking break from more than an year, it should be your brother concerned abt the money and asked her to join the job. May be he did and she didnt listen , and he scared that she will fight.

At this point you have to act smart and not think abt how beautiful she is or compare your parents love on you etc.
    I dont think you are jealous on her but shocked the way your parents have changed.

Coming to the main point on how you can try from your end to resolve this. This wont happen in a day, but you can try to put some knowledge in her brain atleast in money matters.

1. Your Money - Immediately move them to your name and tell your parents in nice way that you are concerned the way your SIL spends money extravagant way and also have no trust that parents or brother is going to control her lavishing money expenses, so you decided to save your money.
    2. Instead to keep quite and feel frustrated. you can talk many things with your SIL indirect way every time you meet her. Dont get into argue or fights -
    Say
    - when you and your mom meet, keep talking abt cooking stuff and how your husband inlaws love your cooking. Ask her joking, do you know anything, sad you donno cooking even now, dont you feel sad you cant cook tasty food for your family.
    - How lucky you are to get my brother, who allows you to spend all this money for shopping, I have not seen anyone like my brother who gives so much money to wife to spend.
    - Also if she buys something not that worth, say openly i guess you have wasted your money by spending on such silly things.
    - Praise abt some ladies in your office or yourself. that i took only 6 months break and was strong enough to get back to work. so sad its been a 1 1/2 yr still you not able to go back to work.
    - You can also tell her , Dont take me wrong, but dont waste money for unnecessary things. Instead save for your kid future.

finally, ask your parents if they agree that SIL is making them do too much work. If so suggest them to come your house or relatives house so SIL and brother learn to do things on their own.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....regarding your sil ,I feel it is not about the looks but her personality.
    I have a feeling she has a very pleasing personality and hence your parents and brother treat her well.It looks like they like having her around.

Don't worry about your parents. They are her inlaws. In India...inlaws are not expected to serve the dil. If they don't want to do that,they can stop without any one raising an eye brow. No one will bad mouth them for stopping their services to their dil.

Your mom loves cooking for her probably because she appreciates it .You mom can stop doing it the day she gets tired.
    You brother can stop showering her with gifts the day he has a problem with that.
    These are not issues at all.

You should safe guard your money . Take control of your finances or atleast make sure they are safe in your name.

Op,from your thread,you seem to be an obsessive person by nature. You are wasting the best years of your life by obsessing over other peoples life.
    Talk to someone about this. A therapist or a counsellor.Some one who will help you get to focus on your life.You are an independent person with a independent life. Live it and let others deal with their life.

Why do you feel your parents are trying to marry you off against your wishes or interest?
    Why do you feel they will not keep your best interest in mind while marrying you?

Have they tried to marry you off against your wishes in the past?
    Talk to them ,Don't cut yourself off for this reason. Talk to them about what you want.
    If you need time,tell them that .
    If you have some specific wish list,tell them .

4. gitika

gitika Senior IL'ite

I really do not understand the point you mean by telling that my mom is trying to impress her son so as to keep the grandkids with her. Only when her son leaves this house or stops coming to this house every weekend, should she actually, try for tat option of making him impressed by worshipping his wife and him so that his grandson can be with her. This fellow (who is basically averse to his working in a different city of Hyderabad, actually is dead homesick that he never leaves a single weekend from dropping to my native whivc is just 4 hours from Hyderabad ). he actually was way back 2 years, totally getting offtrack of normal behaviour. He blackmailed my parents, when he came every Friday, staying sat and sun every weekend, that he is feeling too lonely in life and he gets nightmares, every night, sand someone is following him endangering his life etc. Also he became obsessive to picking up some random numbers, and calling up girls, and talking to them like flirting etc. Actually he never wanted to work, and be always in cocoon of my dad's earnings, it was my dad who forcibly asked him to work, he doesn't realize the fact that men should commonly work and live on their own, but thinks he can stay on my dad's earnings, so my parents got scared that against his wishes he has been asked to work, & to blackmail them saying he was thrown out of home to work he started intentionally this trick of building some stories that he is lone in life & wanted to get married so that his wife would have a decent job and his wife would take care of him, making him to sit at home. So at very young age he elected to get married couples with posing fees to my parents that he may develop some affair with any random girl, if he starts flirting with them, so they scaredly to correct have life ,got him married, that too he wanted a girl who is mature enough to take care of him on her salary, also she should be good looking etc. But even though he saw 30 girls nearly he was frustrated that he can't get all in one so he ended up marrying this girl who is fair skinned, but has blunt facial features, & short & with very average looks except for being fair. So now he has ended in a most miserable situation where he is out in performance improvement plan, due to scolding his manager and now he is searching a job. So now he has strong grounds again to stay foot in mom and dad's home as he will soon loose job & need to find another, on top of that his proud wife is busy enjoying the troubles taken by my mom and dad, a thought of atleast & supporting him by a word, that she can work if his job is in jeopardy is not coming in her mouth. She is getting multiple interview calls, but she is not ready to leave our mom and dad's house, attending interviews and going to my brother's place and helping him like a pillar atleast financially till he finds a new job. Actually, even her manager last June warned she will be put in performance improvement plan so she put instant leaves as she was pregnant too. So now he or she is not ready to leave this Nice cocoon of my mom ,& dad house,because both are most jobless he has job soon in 15 days he would be thrown out of job and for his skills, there are hardly any interview allso he gets. So taking all these things into account, that no matter even if daughter & son always hang with. Mom an dad throughout their life, they are ready to worship them like slaves.

So looking at all these scenarios, I am planning to withdraw all my financial assets to my account as fixed deposits and from hereon I will not drop a single Paisa in my dad's account to make him take care of my money as they treat their son and DIL like king & queen & me like a ordinary person

So since they have given me serious really puncturing severe shocks to me ,making me realise, that there is SO CALLED this family of mine on EARTH where daughter is treated as maid and daughterinlaw like forrune symbol of good deeds of my parents earned from 10 generations.

So let them depend on me in future, I will make them realise, all the bad they treated me and let the entire brunt of looking free them in their Osage completely fall on their most PAMPERED , LOVED, CARED and WORSHIPPED SON and DIL. It's not obligatory for me to look after them so well when they have neither treated me good either during my childhood days nor now when I have visited after having worked for 10 years, for having stayed upto 4 months in their family, even now they make me jealous treat me as outsider, least cared, ignored mad least concerned towards me.

So it's not at all obligatory to even allow them to stay a single day in my home according to the treatment they have given to me, just because I am born to them doesnt mean I have to tolerate all the partiality, nonsense, stuff like giving me least quantity of dishes & leftovers, telling I am to be married and have to diet strictl etc, they enjoy all cuisines & fishes but we're me the least and leftovers.

So I am recording every step ,every action done by then against me, in fact I have maintained a secret dairy of what all things happened on what all days , to maintain all evidence, testimonial to remind what all I went through as suffering from them, so that I can reciprocate & reflect the same set of things to them atleast make them realise their faults in their old age, it's not that I will ignore them completely but treat them in a way that they eat reminded of all mistakes, partialities, injustices the, have done to me against my brother throughout my life. This is the oath that I am taking from now onwards. This is heights of partiality that they are imposing on me,even though I care love them purchase & send LL household stuff, online sarees, dresses, apparels for my mom & dad but they are all hell-bent upon supporting my brother and DIL who despite earning luxuriously doesn't give a single penny to my mom or dad

Thanks for time
    Gitika

5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Take your money and get out. Never look back and don't have anything to do with these people ever again.

gitika and sindmani like this.
  6. gitika

gitika Senior IL'ite

I totally agree that in the "GREAT INDIA " its upto inlaws discretion to take care of live their DIL. But I think there is dead contrasting and totally opposite family of mine where they think serving SON and DIL is very imperative & obligatory, where 1st of all the daughter shamelessly expects maximum better treatment from my parents, on top of that my mom pours rains of love,pampering, that she sees she gives all my apparels for her to wear, she serves her more quantity of very tasty delicacies prepared at home, and if any specially customised dishes are prepared she keeps it totally hides from me , so that I won't know it's location in kitchen but openly discloses to my SIL so that she enjoys the merit of releasing it whenever she wants howmuchever she wants. I really feel so so disgusted that my own mom treats me with so so so much bias against her son during childhood and now treats her son's and DIL with a different pedestal and me in a different pedestal.

Umanga likes this.
  7. gitika

gitika Senior IL'ite

Means I am not getting you point are u teasing me here that ever on Earth there can't be persons like that. If so, then sorry there are posh modern Western cultured dressed smart ladies I shave seen many many in my office who multitasking,manage their household chores, may be they have a maid, it's left to their discretioncan but esentially they take part in all activities like kitchen work, laundry, making up beds, cleaning all furnitures, washing cars, taking babies out for stroll, doing all the Pooja, attending to all needs of kids and inlaws, like giving them things at Andy when they are seated, also visit some rest talk,theatres, picnics ,outings, vacations, whenever they have chance, wit their husbands, and kids apart from this they earn handsome package +also manage all household chores and be a dedicated housewife+working women with hanging pay+ never take any long leaves + busy on weekends with kids and hubby to hang out at different places.

So I mean to say that my office comprises of many such ladies who are very multitasking+ work brinstarmingly both in office & at home + never take leaves+ attend to all inlaws looking after them really well + also go for India or abroAd tours atleast once in a year+ take only 6 months when facing pregnancy

So when I have seen multitudes of such girls doing all such stuff, it really raises my eyebrows that my SIL is masquerading in the name of pregnancy, and taking extreme advantage of it, instead of playing video games, watching serials, doing online shopping , ordering & eating All the best delicacies prepared by my mom that too my mom is insanely crazy & takes extra measures to make separately customised items for her dIL and separate for us,

So instead of doing all such stuff even knowing my brother's job is at jeopardy cannot she join now on duty as she has put just leaves, and she is dead revoeved from pregnancy as it post 1.3 years almost that terribly demands she is no way needing any rest anymore. ..??

Umanga likes this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Wow...you're just the SIL, but you act like the worst MIL ever. Why do you have expectations on this woman? Why do you even care? It seems like you would do better from that negativity.

shri0218, pinkgal, sbonigala and 4 others like this.
  9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I think your mom was like this even before your sil came into ur house.

Umanga and sindmani like this.
  10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

So a women after marriage has to be at the beck and call of everybody.
    Your SIL is also not right though.
    She needs to help ur parents.
    Why do u worry about her job???

sbonigala and sindmani like this.