1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati i love mango ginger. Grate it into curd rice. Make it ala andhra allam pachadi it tastes amazing. We also cube it tiny pickle it with chillies and lemon juice in black salt. Tastes great.
    Great for digestion and triggering taste buds.is analgesic and a rich source of anti oxidants

A few people mix fresh turmeric, ginger and mango ginger pickle it.

I make pickle of fresh turmeric. A well done pickle can stay as long as 3 yrs and more. Yeah i made one in 2014. It is still fresh now.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Tummaria is our sweet basil seed aka sabja seeds. They form gel like when soaked and many think it is chia though they are not.

Makes a great gluten to use to make rotis with flours like bajra and rice that do not have the aame texture. I have done a experiment and posted.
    Will pull out the page in the morning.
    A coolant tastes great in juices and falooda and icecreams

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

maggi32 likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Golly! Shanvy, you are incredible with spices and food in general.

I was just going through your mango ginger and pacchadi post when your sweet basil techniques popped up. You should seriously write a book or may be a will and bequeath to all the participants here your knowledge on general diet and cooking. How to apportion is your headache :eek:

Mind you, just because satchitananda has been a founding member of the thread, she is not entitled to more of your knowledge. I will sue you o_O

5. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

Hahahaha @SunPa : that adi {hitting} for u vonly take it .... not me!!

parineetha and Shanvy like this.
  6. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

@Iravati u rightly said. Like chitvish mam we can create a sticky thread on some recipes made with spices n rare veggies...
    I heard all these preparations like turmeric pickle, cauliflower stalks sabzi, radish leaves curry from you @Shanvy only...More on millets too...How can I forget all those....

Even somedays I thought of making note of these items in my diary... Hopefully will have it done soon !

Shanvy, maggi32 and satchitananda like this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Bhucat, your idea is nice. I am interested in that subtle factor in cooking that strikes a difference. Looking at the pictures, I have observed that Shanvy’s curries have a darker and richer texture. From mere pictures, you can infer that Gauri’s rotis have a lighter color and softer make. There is some “sly” ingredient being added that sparks this delicacy. What is that? This is what I am interested in. All of us would have tapped into an ingredient that emboldens a dish with color and texture either in the form of embellishment or exemplar. Like few weeks ago, I realised that cinnamon powder is “the” spice in paneer masala. Cardamom for malai kofta. These are mistakably too subtle to discern in one shot. I am talking like some Medieval alchemist hunting for “the” component that transforms lead into gold in a crucible. But cooking is not magical only methodical. When and what to do …

Oof! Oof! What was your suggestion — a thread ala mode to discuss techniques and ingredients. I have a criminal background here. I cannot sustain threads, in the sense, my interests are too ephemeral and flitting. Today spices, tomorrow Einstein-Bergson debate, and the next day, the quirkiness of Enando Binder. That is the only reason I start “dumpster” threads to shove in everything with no specific theme. If there is considerable interest, we can do a spin-off spice thread before the cooking flair evaporates.

bhucat, parineetha, Shanvy and 2 others like this.
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Looks like someone got a new “moderator” badge.

Who is making the cake?
    Who is after the confetti?
    Who, who, does anyone even know how to assemble those shimmers and streamers to mark this occasion?

Are we doing a 5-course or 7-course menu to celebrate?
    Uff! People don’t even give headsup for such announcements.

Shanvy — cake, Maggi — kulfi and lollies, Sunpa — beetroot chips, Gauri — khol khol rabri. What! we cannot make rabri with khol khol. This is what happens when I come across exotica. I’ve new clue how to use it. Hip, hip, hip, hurrah to Satchi. She needs all the patience in buttermilk, energy in cracked wheat, tolerance in ginger, valour in pepper to withstand moderatorship. Cheers.

bhucat, damini, parineetha and 3 others like this.
  9. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

1 vote from maggi32 :thumbsup:

Who who who iz tht Strict Aapichar? :flushed:....time to trim my tail & put up tht innozzent face ;)

As per, forum rules newly appointed Mods should cook & invite us :p

Amica, parineetha and satchitananda like this.
  10. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

Wow looks :hearteyes: & i got an idea for next weeks dinner :)

@Gauri03 : do share ur beets raita receipe when time permits {read as: i l pester u till then} ;)

parineetha likes this.