1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Distributing Assets Equally Between Children

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Rihana, Apr 26, 2017.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

That is such a waste.
    We thankfully have simple weddings in our community and no question of a dowry.

Shanvy and justanothergirl like this.
  2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:shocked::shakehead: ridiculous.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Exactly what the kids are against and so am i. Dd says the ones who attend the weddings do not have time for the groom or bride instead it is the time to meet their own siblings and relatives and becomes a scene of comparisons, angers and more. So a simple wedding and a decent reception is what she keeps telling us. And i am all for it.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

That is what i hear from middle class family. @justanothergirl and that is what surprises me. Weddings from 20lacs and nothing less says a family friend. So much wastage

5. yellowmango

One of mine wants a court wedding if at all she wants to marry ever:rolleyes:
    The other would probably want it all:eek:.In that case it will get deducted from her inheritance.:cool:

Right now both are in the ...'ewww :confused:shaadi' stage.

Shanvy likes this.
  6. yellowmango

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@yellowmango maybe it is in the syllabbus.. mine says court shaadi if ever she finds someone she feels comfirtable with from the lot we pick.when she is ready.. who has time for pyar vyar and you cant peecha chudao me that easily..:grin:.. is what frequently comes to us if somebody from outside broaches it and me on the receiving line..,

yellowmango likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's a good point. If the education or wedding expense is small compared to family's wealth, it might not matter so much.

If one child is a high school teacher and another is in a more lucrative profession, both are married, with kid(s), one family is living comfortably, going on vacations, spending on luxuries, private school for kids, and another family is only managing to get by, as a parent it gets tempting to give more to the one who is not doing so well.

It is like the glass half full or half empty. It is hard to say whether the needy kid is getting more or the doing-well kid is getting less. : )

yellowmango likes this.
  9. Rihana

Question was about asset distributions that is likely to happen in the next 1-3 decades, and how parents are planning to do it.

10. Rihana

That was what I thought too.. that earning potential should not be a factor. To my surprise, DH, who rarely has an opinion on such things, brought that up. I think, we both ourselves, have rationalized some distributions where we received or will receive less (more like nothing) with the idea that we have more earning potential right from the start. So, he suggested applying the same. But to be honest, I can't bring myself to even think of it. Just doesn't seem right.

Shanvy, Amica and yellowmango like this.