1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Honest Opinions

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Valli1964, Apr 24, 2017.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Oh no! Our messages must have crossed. It sounds rather ungrateful, not to mention immature. And also like you've been taken for granted. I hope time heals this rift. Best wishes

sindmani, Valli1964 and NeetaR like this.
  2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Stay strong. You havent done anything wrong. They r jus behaving like spoiled brats. Just give it all sometime. Theres always challenges, ups n downs in families. It will get better in time.

satchitananda and Valli1964 like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Hats off to you.

Grand parents are family members, and second parents to the kid, particularly when they willingly babysit the kids. So, it is plain rude to control them or treat them like nannies/maids with questions like this.
    Great to know that you were able to cut this when needed.
    More than this, I am humbled to know that you have your own retirement plan, thus you are no longer a dependent.
    When respect matters, relationship or the dependency should not spoil it.
    You are standing up for your rights, and your demand is right.

Your DIL is getting a favor from you. Leaving the infant in the most reliable hands is heaven to working moms. She must learn to cherish this.
    The moms who leave their kids in the not-so-well maintained day care knows the pain.
    She will know this once she experience this.

In general, it is very hard to babysit. Unless and until someone takes up this job voluntarily, it can leave loads of resentments. Particularly when you actually begin to live your life after all your responsibilities, a nanny role may be a huge set back.
    So, your DIL must understand this favor and appreciate this.

Both my mom and MIL looks after my children in turns. My mom lives with me, but she has her own hobby and break times from her role. During this time my MIL comes and joins the kid.
    MIL too have her other roles, and we adjust to it with the support of nannies and maids. It takes too many people to raise kids.
    If that role is dumped on one or two persons, then it is an invaluable service.

Valli1964 likes this.
  4. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Its not really you or your husbands responsibility to take care of your grandkid. You agreed to do that out of your goodness and love. One can give suggestions to the caretaker of child with out being arrogant and controlling. If your DIL can create this much hullabaloo for you giving banana instead of strawberries to the kid, she or your son can surely take an year break from the job and look after the kid themselves.

radv, NeetaR, BhumiBabe and 1 other person like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

On this forum we hear all the time about reasonable women forced to live with completely unreasonable in-laws. How refreshing to hear about how you have planned your retired life instead. It's too bad that your DIL
    could not appreciate her good fortune at having such an understanding MIL and instaed chose to make a mess of entire situation. Let them work out their problems for now. Leave the lines of communication open, but along with your grandchild your son and DIL also have some growing up to do.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Me and dh at times jokingly say we plan so much, about not troubling the kids, gjving them space and all and maybe they will have something else to complain about and start a thread in these very forums. I have even written this as a fb to some thread. And this post shows something like this could happen even when you are considerate parents or parents-in-law.

Duh!!there is no manual that works to the t.
    Sorry valli couldnot help from thinking loud.

satchitananda, Bestmom, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  7. Valli1964

Valli1964 Silver IL'ite

Today my son and DIL came along with the baby in the morning. They had a long list of complaints to make against us -

1. They think we were not being welcoming to our DIL when we insisted that they move to a separate house immediately after marriage: I thought my DIL was happy with this decision, but it appears not. My husband and I bought and constructed this house 25 years ago. It was the outskirts then. Now because of expanding city, it is a good area to stay in, but our house is very small and uncomfortable for a large setup. The bedrooms are not really private and we have no bathrooms in them (Have to go toward the end of the house) and I thought a newly wed girl will be embarrassed to live in a house like this.

We made this point during marriage talks only, before all relatives because my husband thought otherwise the girl will be blamed later by other people. But now they say we were throwing them out.

2. We are greedy with money and give them nothing: Sorry to go into details, but my son is aware that before his marriage, our total savings came to 35 odd lakhs. We spent 5 lakhs on his wedding, and gave him 10 lakhs for a deposit for the new house. My husband (a retired bank officer) insisted we save the rest in FDs. We live off the interest of that and our small pensions. My husband is a proud man, he hates asking people for money, even his own son. He doesn't want to depend on them in case of emergency. Also I know that a new couple starting a family will not be able to cope with sudden medical expenses for elderly parents. We just wanted to spare them the burden. He is our only son, all this goes to him after all.

They said some more things, but I really must go and cook now. Please, my dears, tell me if we were wrong. I do not want to fight with my only child for money.

8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

You and your spouse are 3 generations ahead of the younger generation - dil & son in terms of leading an independent life without disturbing them for any reason - which is a problem for them it seems. People never learn unless they learn it the hard way of MIL controlling DIL episodes happen at home.

Just don't care what they talk - they will realize soon once they miss your services.

sindmani, radv, NeetaR and 2 others like this.
  9. aswathyk

aswathyk Gold IL'ite

Never give all your money to them. Because they never going to care you and your husband after that. As you said all goes to them.

Just don't worry about their behavior. You have all support from your husband.

Just plan and go for a trip. That help you to overcome this mood. Njoy your day.

And hope for the best.

nolife, radv, NeetaR and 3 others like this.
  10. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

You and your husband, are far more circumspect and considerate than most Indian parents I have ever come across, at least in India. You have planned for the future and took precautions not to be a burden to your only son and his family. I applaud you for that move. Congratulations on your retirement!

Your SON and your DIL are being ridiculous. They simply cannot have it ALL. You gave them everything to start a good life together, and it is unreasonable for them to expect more. Regarding your DIL's behavior taking care of the child, she is most likely unhappy with the arrangement, which most likely your son wanted and volunteered your services. You can offer to baby sit, but unless she feels guilty that she is keeping her child away from her grandparents, it's not really going to roll.

Your son.... I'm surprised that he is being so greedy and asking for money from his parents when both he and his wife are working. Simply sit him down, and say 'No' and give him reason on why this will benefit him and his family. If that doesn't seem to turn out well, I would still advise you not to give them more money. You still have many more years left in your life, and being financially independent is very important to maintain a good relationship between your husband and you, and between your son. Imagine having to ask money from him and your DIL...

satchitananda, radv, guesshoo and 2 others like this.