1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cart Before The Horse

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viswa
    Like a train track, we both run to the same destination without meeting each other. Can we categorically say that it is this track or the other that takes the train to its destination. Realisation of God occurs in many ways. It can happen through extensive reading as in your case. It can happen through a sudden flash as in Ramana's case. Hinduism is full of stories of Sages who reached Heaven more by their devoted service to their parents than by any other way. They did not serve their parents with ultimate salvation in their mind. I have not read much of the tests that you quote. My Guru was my mother and she imparted more insight into our life than what spiritual books could impart. I do not have much to talk about good and bad. My own life has been a mixture of both. I am not proud about my good deeds nor do I feel miserable about my negative side. At my present age, the life has taken a greater swing towards what I feel as right. I only feel sad that while the kind of life that I lead in my seventies gives me such peace and tranquility, why did it ever elude me in my younger life?
    Sri

vaidehi71 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Yes of course. I had Countess from Hong in my mind. Chaplin's only non-black and white movie. A movie that failed to move me. The King in New York was around 10 years earlier. But I don't think that that one made much of an impact on me either. Chaplin's creativity was drying up around that time. Happens to all great artists.

oj

3. Cheeniya

@ojaantrik

Chaplain enjoyed his movies of younger age a lot and in particular, his silent movies enlivened my young age a lot. But his last couple of movies did not match his own expectation. Sad you know! You and me enjoy our old age with our blogs. I prefer it this way!
    Sri

shyamala1234 and ojaantrik like this.
  4. ojaantrik

Yes Cheeniya. You are right. I too enjoy writing in my old age far more than I ever did during my professional life. I was too busy then doing useless stuff.

oj

shyamala1234 likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@ojaantrik

I started writing only when I had nothing else to do. During my banking days, the proposals I submitted supporting loans to some worthless clients made a senior of mine to remark that 'If you write stories they would be best sellers.' He was the one that kindled my desire to write!
    Sri

shyamala1234 and ojaantrik like this.
  6. ojaantrik

Dear Cheeniya,

I started writing somewhat late in life and the urge came entirely from within. Now that I think back, I realise that my first piece of creative writing was in Japanese!!! The VC of the University where I was teaching had me invited to the Lions' Club of Japan to deliver a speech in Japanese. I was taken aback but could not ignore the VC. Hid name was Fuji. I delivered a prepared speech. I was so nervous that I read it out and I think they published it in their magazine. That speech had two parts to it. The first was called watashi to nihongo (The Japanese Language and I) and the second part was my first story. Kamisama no hanashi (The Story of God). I think these were appreciated not for their quality but because they were written in Japanese by a foreigner. After coming back home, I began to feel the urge again and wrote a short piece called Of Crows and Men. It was very short, much shorter than your pieces, and published in the Delhi edition of TOI. I guess some people read it. Almost certainly by more people than at IL. Later on I put it up on IL too I think and it received a comment and a half as usual. But my desire to write continued and I kept writing at IL. Few consider me readable and I am no longer upset by it. However, I think I committed a mistake. I should have tried to publish them first on print and then upload them in IL. Now, there are publishing avenues open, but I cannot publish articles already uploaded on the net. Well people make mistakes. Let's see if have learnt anything from mine. I enjoy writing for IL of course. But I feel that during my remaining years I should try my level best to do things a little differently. Hard. But not impossible. What do you say?

oj

shyamala1234 likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@ojaantrik
    I have plenty to say but I refrain from saying it. Your urge to write comes from within. That's a very good place to come from. As they sing in The Sound of Music, it is a very good place to start. I wish I too could say it but I can't. My writing comes from totally outside. I would say that the subject is first captured by my eyes and then transferred to my half-active brain to process. As a matter of fact, when I start on a subject, I have no idea at all about what I should write about. Hence I meander back and forth. Even the subsequent discussions do not get focused on any aspect of my original piece.

You are on the other hand a creative artist. You choose a subject and you are very clear about what you should write. You refine it again and again until it gives you satisfaction. I am no match for you. The numbers don't mean a thing!
    Sri

ojaantrik and shyamala1234 like this.
  8. ojaantrik

Dear Cheeniya,

I will not make this long, remembering your right eye's noncooperation. From you description of the way you write, I am reminded of Maxim Gorky. He was like you. He would be sitting near the window and see a man pass by. And then make that into a delightful story. He was a genius. But I didn't know him. You are the only genius I know personally. Writing is effortless for you. For me, it is a struggle!!!|

Oh yes, the fb count does not matter for me anymore. I have learnt to ignore it. I write because I have fallen in love with writing. I will continue to love, even if it remains unresiprocated.

oj

9. Cheeniya

@ojaantrik
    My dear OJ
    We sound like prime members of the Mutual Admiration Society!
    Sri

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir and Oj sir,
    Continue with it. We are enjoying. We like both of you.
    Cheeniya sir....once his finger on the keyboard it plays and dances with words and ideas!
    Oj sir....whole scenario is in front of his eyes and he has to just type it to take us along with him to the place of action and we are there with him!
    Regards to both of you
    Syamala

ojaantrik likes this.