1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our Simple 'rasam' Of South India

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,
    No not at all.There will be watch and ward all over and nothing of that sort happened.It is not 2oth or 21st century to allow corruption.The royallaws were very strict and transgression of any sort will entail severe punishments inclusive of being debarred from profession or even death sometimes.

Amica and satchitananda like this.
  2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lovely read and such interesting info on rasam! enjoyed it :)

Amica and jayasala42 like this.
  3. jayasala42

Thanks Akila Mani for the response.

Jayasala 42

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear jayasala
    When I saw the title and the opening lines, I thought you were going to tell us something on the lines of 'Appalam Ittu Paaru' (Try making a Papad) sung by Bagwan Ramana Maharshi. I read through it and even though you had not made any philosophical inference of the Rasam making, it sounded philosophical to me. We say that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Truly so. The respect that we earn from the people depends on the virtue of our life.
    Sri

5. jayasala42

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    Thank you for your kind response.Ramana's aanmeeka appalam-I have enjoyed on many occasions.
    Rasam is considered so simple that whenever MIL accuses DIL, she used to say'oru rasam kooda vaikka theriyaathu'.Inspite of simply rasam occupies a predominant place in the menu and that is why Chola kings chose this item for selecting chief cook.Our District Central Library is a big one containing some great books on history, literature of the earlier times.Unfortunately 60% of the books were washed away in 2015 floods.It was closed nearly for 8 months and opened recently.But now all the books are new and not suited to our taste.
    Perhaps Rasam also will go out of menu in a few years.

Jayasala 42

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

In our family no tasting was allowed while cooking, as long as my grandmothers lived. The self-styled connosieurs would claim they could 'taste' by the smell. My grandfathers and uncles would always be yelling instructions to adjust the salt or tamarind. :tearsofjoy:

butterflyice, Amica and satchitananda like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@MalStrom,
    I was about to say what you said....tasting was not allowed and I don't either and I often tell my DD who is taking interest in cooking that I cook by smell. Nice to know I have company :D

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao: Can picture the scene! Can understand the smell of tamarind ..... but salt???

MalStrom likes this.
  9. jayasala42

My MIL used to say that tamarind smells different and tamarind with appropriate,less or more salt would smell differently.But I have never agreed.Even if you prepare rasam without salt,if it has other ingredients like rasa powder, asafoetida,etc rasam smells nice.Unless you taste you can't find out whether salat has been added or not.
    As a matter of principle elders adhered to the practice of not tasting as everything we prepared was offered to God as neivedyam,
    Jayasala 42

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Ditto. :lol:

My DH can smell the salt in food, too. I can't smell salt, I don't taste while cooking, I cook by instinct and faith. :rolleyes:

Doree likes this.