1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

World Water Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anusowmyan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

HI, every one @ IL, [​IMG]

Today is WORLD WATER DAY, it reminds us to use clean water & not to waste water.

WATER IS PRECIOUS--- save it for the future by RAIN WATER HARVESTING.

[​IMG]

Reuse water where ever possible. Drink only boiled water, or use water filters or water purifiers, try to avoid CAN-WATER, carry your own water bottle when you go out, it's safe.

Make sure to teach children about importance of water & to off taps when not in use, do explain them not waste water in their play- activities.

hope you all will spread this message to our loved ones.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anu
    Thank you for your topical message about World Water Day.
    But I can't understand one thing. We have a World Water Day, World Air Pollution Day, World Clean Air Day and above all Mother's Day! Are these subjects of concern only for one day in a year? I have seen people giving their mother a box of sweet or some gift article and forget them for the rest of the year! It is also the same case in air and water. On one hand, we deplete our water resources at an alarming pace that the planet may go totally dry in a few thousand years. Same is the case with air and water pollution. New fatal diseases are surfacing every day and the first victims are the poor people in the slums. Coming to mother, is she not someone to be taken care off on all days of the year? I have seen mothers languishing in old age homes while their children are abroad not knowing what else to do.
    Celebrating these 'days' are just a farse!
    Sri

kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Not quite Sir.

World water day, Earth day are a desperate attempt by environmentalists to bring awareness to people who
    ... and pollute.
    It is these days that have stirred people to fight industries with guidelines on disposing industrial waste and emission controls. Many countries have cleaned up their rivers, their waterways, have emission controls, and recently heard that some major cities are banning cars on certain days from certain roads.
    Here in schools children are made aware on these days. The upcoming generations have to know about the delicate balance of earth and these earmarked days help that cause.

As for mothers and fathers days, same thing. It does not mean people are forgetting their parents on other days. It is a day to honor them.
    In India too we celebrate womanhood every year for nine days (Navarathri). Are women treated any better because of that sir? Eve teasing, molestation, and general abuse of women still prevails.

For that matter even a birthday is just another day depending on how we look at it. I know many people who lament, "oh I am getting old, what is there to celebrate?", whereas to me it is a day to thank the Creator for the life He has given me and to family and friends who were part of my life.

These are not just "days" sir, they are much more than what they appear to be.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You represent hope. I represent disgust.
    Birthday can be celebrated only on the day we are born. Mother's Day? I rest my case
    I celebrated my Mother's Day nonstop from 1965 to 2012 when she became immortal.
    Sri

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri sir
    For the record - I too, just like you, celebrate my mom everyday and do not do anything special on Mother's day.
    I am sure you know the origin of Mother's day celebration; so I am not going to get into why and how it started.

All I am saying is if some folks choose to pick a day to go and tell their mom, "I love you" I am happy that at least one day they remember her.
    I look at it as celebrating our festivals, e.g Vinayaka Chathurthi. We all pray to Vinayaka every moment to enable a smooth life; however, we have set aside a special day to celebrate him grandly! That is how I look upon these days dedicated to special persons in our lives.

Also different folks different strokes. I am all for folks celebrating their parents, siblings, spouses, grandparents, teachers, whichever way they choose. You and I do that everyday; some people do it once a year, perhaps forced by circumstances beyond their control.

I too rest my case.

Note: This is just a friendly rejoinder sir. I respect you a lot and have written what I feel, knowing you will accept it in the spirit it is written.