1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid Has Poor Concentration...help!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Mar 11, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Enrolled my DD in swimming classes and she is 4 years 2 months..
    The instructor is nice but offlate she is losing patience as my kid is getting distracted very easily.The teacher keeps repeating her instructions and told me my child is getting distracted easily.she just isn't bothered and is in her own world.

DD keeps looking around and after telling her zillion times ,kicks her legs and does something.She seems to be least perturbed by me trying to make her understand.

We had early intervention and checked with great doctor and she said kid does Not have autism And she even cleared her eye and hearing test.Dd started to speak well too and no tantrums etc.

Now am worried why she is not concentrating and tHe teacher is also quite pissed off.this is only her fourth class..how to deal??

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Poor concentration doesn't always mean autism. There are so many grey areas in between. It is curable with constant attention, support and care system. A professional knows what is best to prescribe such kids.

I would advice you to take her to another pead for a general check up based on whatever you have written above. Just for a consultation, and also to get their opinion.
    Kid looses their concentration if they waste too much of their times watching screens.

Apart from the swimming classes, how is your kid otherwise?
    Perhaps, she could hate swimming... why force her into something she hates?
    Swimming is not mandatory!

Also, check on the teacher. Some one are not really trained to work with kids. So, kids do not like them.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

In addition, please introspect whether you are spending uninterrupted time with the kid on a constant basis? Of course many SAHM spend almost all their time with the kids. But the quality of time spent with the kid matters here.
    Some spent time while watching a TV, playing with phone or something. Some are often busy with the household chores and all.
    Some are burning inside with their own problems; thus anything that comes from the kid might seem annoying.
    With all this, the quality of time we spent with the kid gets affected. But it always go unnoticed until the kid develops some issues as this.

Quality time means, sitting with the kid, listening to them, talking to them and getting their response to it.
    It is a way of showing the world to the kid. It is a way of understanding each other. It is a way of telling the kid that their mom/care giver is there for them.
    It is more of listening and letting them to speak/view and explore, rather than teaching.

Paying attention is a learned process. Some kids are diagnosed with attention deficit problems. But in fact, these kids have never been taught how to pay attention and its importance.
    You can let your kid face an exam without teaching her the syllabus.

Every kid learns differently, that's why teaching needs to be geared appropriately.
    A mother is the child's first teacher. Unless the kid has some natural disorder, which needs professional care, I believe normal kids can behave normal if they are given a chance to be normal kids.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Kid is very active and smart.Sometimes surprises me with her witty questions..last week she was doing better in her swim classes.So I will wait for two more classss and see how she is doing

sindmani and SGBV like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

My child used to have that issue. If she can get away with something she'd not put in an effort. In one of her classes I spoke to her coach to say that I'm happy with them pushing her. Wll thatl the coach would do is call her out if she were in her own world. Of course in a respectful manner.

I try to get a teacher who doesn't take nonsense either. A teacher who insists on the desired results and doesn't let a child get away with slacking. In swimming when she was like that, I changed to another coach she'd had earlier with hon I knew to be the no nonsense type.

Now at nearly 6, she has started taking pride in what she does and focus is much better.

anika987 likes this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Do you feel your kid is no
    If your kid is not able to concentrate, it could be Attention deficit disorder.
    Check with a developmental pediatrician again.
    Is she able to concentrate in her school,academic

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Instructor losing patience, getting pissed off, and complaining to you, is not a good sign. It is the instructor's job to deal with children of all personalities, and try her best. If your child doesn't make much progress, then, the reasons (and suggestions) are given to you by the instructor. An instructor complaining after only 4 classes, for a 4 year old... does not seem like a good instructor.

Taking a child to swim, the preparation before stepping out, and the ride back home, and then the detailed shower at the swim place or at home ... is a lot of effort. If child does not seem to be making much progress by the end of this session, stop for now. Try again in 2018 summer when she is 5 and half. It takes them about 2 years to go through the various levels the swimming place has. 6 yrs or even 7 yrs is old enough to start. Don't fall for the stories that they won't put their head under water if you wait till they are older.

I wish I had waited until my kids were at least 5+ before starting. Start around that age, and every year enroll them in swim lessons from spring till school starts. More than enough. If they show interest, enroll in swim team at 10 years or older.

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks all

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017