Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can't believe how simple it was to make the pasta and how wonderful it tasted. I knew that buying the IP was a good choice.. when so many desis rave about something, it has to be good. : )

Thanks for the recipe, peartree. LIke I said, it was the first time I made pasta from scratch. Got two comments from DH. One was 'you made it?' and other was 'Nice'. LOL. : ) No wonder I said yes without a proposal.

Kids liked it too! The recipe is indeed fool-proof or newbie proof!
    • pastapic.jpg

peartree, deepv, Nonya and 2 others like this.
  2. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

Wow! So impressed with this thread. Can't believe I have not thought about instant pot until I bumped into this thread. It is in my waiting list and am tempted to hit " add to cart" in Amazon. Thank you all sharing your recipes and ideas.

3. Mayaa

Mayaa Bronze IL'ite

Wow another interesting thread. I don't have one. But still recipes are tempting... will watch this space for new recipes

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

:smile:

5. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Awesome thread!
    Do you guys have the 5 or 6 quart? Am planning to buy one and am wondering if the 6 quart is too big..

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

6 quart :) I usually have guests over and ...so when it comes to kitchen stuff believe "bigger is almost always better".....

Nonya and GoneGirl like this.
  7. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl,

By just reading, rereading and even looking at it gives me that aroma. :)

Viswa

justanothergirl and Rihana like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana

Another one of my favorite apart from Venpongal. I am motivated enough to do it after reading this.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

20170226_112045.jpg 20170226_112054.jpg Quintessential tanjavur delicacy... Vazhakkai Podimas

So when parents are visiting, ammavasai is taken seriously, what with starting off with an extremely clean kitchen, stove scrubbed clean and finding my mom fresh-faced with a towel wrapped around her head starting the pressure cooker! This time, we had another set of parents invited for lunch and they were bound my the ammavasai meal rules too, and here is where I stepped in, for an easy podimas experience.

Ingredients -

Raw Bananas
    To temper -
    Oil
    Mustard
    Chana Dal/Urad Dal
    Green Chillies
    Salt
    Asafoetida
    Curry Leaves

1) Cut the raw bananas in halves
    2) Fill up the IP to the minimum level required
    3) Place the cut pieces of bananas on a trivet and steam for 1 minutes with vent sealed or ~3 minutes with vent open
    4) Quick Release if vent is sealed
    5) Peel the bananas (The peels should just slide off) and run them through a grater.

6) IP on Saute Mode and when hot -
    7) Add oil, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and finely chopped green chillies. Saute until the mustard seeds splutter and the green chillies start turning a darker shade
    8) Add in the curry leaves, hing and salt
    9) Add in the grated raw bananas and just fold the tempering over and mix well. Keep in saute mode for a bit until the bottom develops a slight crunchy texture.

A slight variation is to saute a bit of chana dal and urad dal, dhaniya and red chillies in a bit of oil, grind it to a course powder and add it to the raw bananas. But I like to keep the white color of the vazhakkai, so I don't do this.

I find it convenient to make this in the IP for 2 reasons that I don't have to keep watching for whether the bananas will get over cooked! If they turn mushy, we can't grate it! Also, with the pot being pretty deep, it accommodates a large quantity for easy mixing!

Amica, kkrish, Viswamitra and 4 others like this.