Good Morning America. Is The Reality Starting To Sink In Now?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Nov 9, 2016.

1. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

We came very recently..

I put all my earnings to FD before coming here.. Am getting fixed interest from that taking care of my Lic n other payment..
    I operate my money transaction online

N here dollars we haven't earned enough yet to think about investment

Laks09 likes this.
  2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I am from the blue state and I have to say-- its not good.
    I used to live in multi-ethnic county and we, recently moved to a much conservative county( just before the election) - all our neighbors have a truck. Our immediate neighbor is an NRA supporter.
    They are all very nice when we stop to have a conversation, they have even done research on "Hindus" hmmm

But my husband and I can't get over the feeling that we aren't safe.

A Couple of incidents that I had to face when I have gone shopping is the eyebrow-raising cashier- who looks at my total bill, me being brown and surprised that I am dressed well, talk fluently and able to give him a credit card to charge my $100+ on grocery.

I will share a link below to show that in California, post- election hate crimes have increased.

Reports of Hate Crimes and Racist Graffiti, Including in California, Following Trump’s Election Win

Post-Election Hate Crimes Are On The Rise In These 5 States

Oh not to forget-- My DH is quite an active member with Immigrant Voice and he has made a couple of trips to meet with Congresswomen. Every time he has gone to the Congresswomen's office- he has seen a confederate flag being waved by an old man near the office.

There are no blue or red states any more- racists have been emboldened by this presidency and make sure their voices are heard.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Laks09, Meet9 and anika987 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The widow of the Indian man slain in Kansas speaks out. It is just so sad. She speaks so composedly that each note of pain in her words and voice stands out. The way she pauses to breathe, and takes a few moments to collect herself, literally tore at my heart. This video was uploaded on Friday, just 2 days after the incident. Feel so sorry for her, the guy's parents, and her parents. Just so sad sad sad. Damn.

joylokhi likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I go to my library often but past few times I meet this new lady who gives me a cold stare!I also try to dress my best but somewhat paranoid and scary.I even cancelled my hair appointment with my usual parlour coz there are very less Indians coming there.

One thing is to be scared but living in a constant state of fear is horrible.What have we got ourselves into!!

Racism was always there everywhere but now people are totally ok to proclaim themselves racist.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

They are newly married..just few years and there dreams have been slashed by some psycho.He has destroyed an innocent family.Is god even there..I am sorry becoming an atheist..
    y

joylokhi likes this.
  6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Oh! God this is so true. MY husband refused to go to Mimi's Cafe in our neighborhood as it is "too white" and we went to our old neighborhood cafe-- just to feel normal.

The constant fear is something that every Indian are living under- be it GC holders/ H1B's.
    Racism has always been there-- but more people are being open about it. Forthcoming in making us see that we are "brown"
    This makes me constantly wonder " why am I here" My child will grow up and go to school and who knows which kid will able to get firearms and do what it will do.
    However bad our country is-- do we really have to worry about being killed in a school or in a pub? The basic threat of not being killed is what our country can offer.

sumalynux and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

For the first time in my life,am feeling fear of being here.

We are like a laughing stock to our fellow country men in India,some of whom including my relatives who resent NRI coz they think we have ditched our country for money.Here we are shown that we are NOT accepted.

Last time on my India trip,a guy who met me for the first time once after knowing I was an NRI started blabbering and bashing saying how selfish and this and that.

The pain we go through only we know.The feeling of not being accepted here or there is the worst.Try to take a trip to India this year and say you are from America.We will be targeted with zillion questions as though we run the government.

Feeling angry and upset about the happenings..

All in all the state of an NRI now is fear,feeling of homelessness,neither all became billionaires,left our country and family/friends for what??

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Meet9 likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Recently a South Indian actress was abducted in her own car with the help of her own trusted driver and sexually assaulted and photographed. Videos were made of the assault. Later she was threatened with dire consequences if she went to the police before being let off. What precaution can women take when such things happen? No matter how vigilant, these incidents are on the rise.

Same with the gun touting people. I half wish the victim had left the bar after that altercation but hind sight is 50/50. He was just going about his evening.

I understand the insecure feeling. Who knew it will come to this in such a short time. I always thought differently about both countries. In the recent past, no place seems safe.

With the USC there are added issues to having assets outside the country. You cannot invest in foreign mutual funds. All accounts are taxable. Dealing with dual taxation is annoying me. I wanted everything in one place to have lesser hassles.

I like the online transaction bit. It's definitely easier than 15 yrs ago!

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This video just broke my heart. I'm left speechless. So much grief herself, her in-laws and family. I cried when she said "what do I tell his mom". So so sad.

sumalynux, anika987 and Meet9 like this.
  10. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Already we have enough miseries to add to it, my dh was told he will be let go March 31st.. He will get paid till April 15th..

I was wondering if this is sign n chance to return back.. He wants stay couple of months and try for job. M fed up.

This usa thing has strained our marriage a lot.. Before coming we had big fights argument where he made it clear if I refuse to join usa or stop him from going he don't mind divorce me ( I am still shocked he prioritized usa over me and his son, whom we had after lot of struggle to ttc n infertility treatment n life threatening delivery for me)

We don't fight argue anymore.. But there is no physical relationship from 2yrs, I don't trust him anymore. Its more of a roommate relationship for sake of son I guess..

Sorry to divert topic.. But this is where his craze of US of A landed us..

I feel angry mad about his mom n sister who keeps brainwashing him about USA(she is green card holder). She is one who made him come here through a consultant. And his Mom even told me n number of times all her relatives atleast 1 person is in usa. If he didn't get usa he should try canada and all.. I know 50% my dh to be blamed. But his mom n sister words r Veda vakyam for him.. He has no clue n doesn't care how much he strained our marriage supporting them..( During that argument his mom got hysterical hit my dh and tried squeezing my neck, later stepped back coming to her senses, then it scares and fell on my feet saying I shouldn't take legal action..) Am fed of all their dramas

We stayed like nomads in my mom's then his mom's then relatives place now again if he won't find Job don't know where to go..

My parents are very rich, I have my own savings I am a software engineer still it scares to walk out.. Wondering what is end of all this..