1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shivaratri - A Journey

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SunPa, Feb 24, 2017.

1. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear jayasala maam,
    nice to hear of your steady fasting for shivarathri and ekadasi. Seeing and hearing others observing such strict fasts, i think it is time for me also to attempt fasting with only milk and fruits only on these days at least in future.

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Wow, mam, salute!
    Our generation is not as resilient as yours, Sometimes I feel we were the sandwiched gen - we started the rat race in academics and did not give due importance to social/health growth. Despite a better financial status -our work involves so much sitting/lack of movement , our lifestyle induces most stress - . Realising health is wealth now, not too late.

3. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

@SunPa
    Congrats on completing your fast:)

SunPa likes this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@joylokhi @jayasala42 @dc24 @srilaxmi
    Thank you so much!! With your words of advice and support, I managed to get thru this vrat.

Walked around when ever I felt sleepy . But 5 to 5.30am was really hard, I was almost like 2 mins, just 2 mins I want to sleep. Broke my fast at the temple this morning and came home. I just have 2 hrs to go.

An enriching Shivratri experience!!

Love
    Sun

joylokhi and dc24 like this.
  5. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

@SunPa and everyone
    May Lord Shiva and Maa Parvati bless us all with bhakti n happiness

joylokhi likes this.
  6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Congrats dear. very happy that you completed the vrat to your satisfaction. It is really a very fulfilling experience.

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I am not a ritualistic person and have never fasted properly. This time I wanted to stay up all night and watch the Isha programme. But trust my body to cooperate. Since last Saturday I've been having severe colic and on medications and sleeping like there's no tomorrow. So that was Maha Shivaratri for me. :-(

SunPa likes this.
  8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear satchi,
    you have been through all that treatment and medication only recently, so you are naturally not upto your normal self. Since the will is there, Im sure next year you can attempt to the extent feasible. I got the isha programme video thro' one of my whatsapp friends. Its good.

satchitananda likes this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Ma'm, your grit and strength ( from the post I read here in IL) amaze me. To me, this vrat is about self control, about humility - food and sleep our primary needs sacrificed for just a day let us know the value it. And your experiences have been beyond that - and you have faced life with greater courage and humility than most.
    If God decided that you need sleep to rejuvenate and heal, best to follow that, no?

satchitananda and joylokhi like this.
  10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

It was coming a full circle for me.

My DD, who is a border line atheist , stayed up with me, despite me warning her to go home. She slept the next morning though. Watching kids grow is a sweet pain, I relish moments spent with then.

My Grandma who used to live with us, stayed awake every year. As a child, though I loved her, I didnt value her much, atleast not till she passed away. But on Friday night I thought so much about her. I remembered her staying up all night by herself, no TV after 11pm (those were the days of Doordarshan only) . In a strange land, this uneducated woman separated from her kith and kin except for her daughter's family. No one who understood her. Yet she soldiered on. And staying awake the next day. We would tease her as she would doze off for a few minutes, and she would scramble awake and vehemently deny that she dozed. I was innocently cruel as only a child can be.

I wish I had appreciated her more. I think of her will power and strength and ask myself, how I, the educated modern woman, would fare against her sheer grit? Honestly, I would lose out. This Friday, I think she was with me and made it all easy for me. And I felt peace to have walked her path.

dc24 and joylokhi like this.