My Story Of Infertility

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Elsa, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

As all of you know, I had had 4 cycles of IUI (spontaneous/natural without any medicines for stimulating egg production) out of which I had 2 back-back IUI's done in 2 of the cycles. So, in total, I got 6 IUI's done in the past few months. I am yet to see the 2 pink lines! All of them resulted in negatives. In my case, I am perfectly alright, my DH has ED, sperm count and motility issues

At this point, after giving it a lot of thought, I am not quite sure if I should go for a few more cycles of IUI's with medication or go for IVF without wasting any more time. I am at the crossroads now. I am currently on a break from all these treatments. Is there anything that I should keep in mind before making a decision? If at all I go for an IVF this time, I would like to know if it is worth the investment? How are the success rates? How painful is it? Does the medication cause headaches, PMS like symptoms (irritation, anger etc)? I am very very scared of invasive procedures. Touchwood! I never got operated or even had a stitch for a cut/bruise ever in my life.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

For me medication did not cause any headache or irritation or anger. Only injections related pain would be there. For me egg extraction and embryo transfer both done under anesthesia(doctor wanted to do it like that). Anesthesia not covered under our insurance so we paid out of pocket.
    may be you know this already, there won't be any stitches or bruises because of this, discussing all questions with your doctor gives confidence.

Elsa likes this.
  3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Generally 6 cycles of IUI (back to back IUIs count one cycle) can be done when there is no tube blocks and when the sperm conditions are decent level.
    IVF is a bigger journey, it need all emotional, financial and physical support. Don't quick jump into ivf decision. IVF has 50% success rate only. It might turn out to be success if you are in good hands too. Try every other thing before IVF plans. Take that as a last resort.

Elsa likes this.
  4. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Just checking in! No updates, no positive news from my side whatsoever. Except a few pregnancy announcements and baby arrival announcements from friends and family.

I took a break from treatments for a couple of months. Not sure how to proceed from now, which way to go. I have zero hope and absolutely no expectations at this point. I would consider myself lucky if ever I have a baby, but I have come to a point where I came to terms with the reality, with the fact that it may not be possible for me to get pregnant ever.

5. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I am sorry you feel that way. During this TTC struggles, there are high days and low days. I hope this is one of those low days. Wish you feel better soon. Lots of positive thoughts your way.

Elsa likes this.
  6. PallaviShroff

PallaviShroff New IL'ite

Hi I am 36 years old and we're trying since 2.6 years .. I had gone through all the tests and everything is fine from my side . Then we went for husbands semen analysis .. he has less motility than what is needed.. So we thought we will go for IUI .. two times it failed though the timing was proper .. after 2nd IUI FAILED I WAS KIND OF DEVASTATED AS IVAM OVER 35 years old .. I was in the same situation as u told .. then I just thought should we both Gange our diet and try .. so we both completely stopped drinking coffee or tea .. having milk twice a day and juices n smoothies everyday without fail .. reduced deep fried items .. and also found one link where they provide fertility smoothies ..
    They mentioned one fertility super herb called MACA powder which can be used in smoothies everyday .. I got that powder and used one spoon per day in any smoothie also I have avacado everyday .. we tried this for 1 month .. then went for next IUI i.e third one and was obviously very scared because of the previous failures .. as a miracle this time I got conceived and checked two days after my missed period got positive .. but still waiting for the first doctor appointment when I will be in 8 weeks ..
    I can only tell u don't lose hope .. feel positive n try hard .. try to change the diet .. I am giving u the link which I followed for diet n all fertility information.
    How to Get Pregnant... Natural Fertility Info.com

Elsa likes this.
  7. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

8. hoping4amiracle

hoping4amiracle Gold IL'ite

@Elsa - Hugs to you. Natural to feel this way when everything goes wrong.. Most gng through infertility journey would have felt this one or the other time. But this too shall pass..Every bad time you have gone through in your life has passe,if you think abt it..So this too will. I just read your journey again and can see that you hav done 4 IUIs. Most doctors don't prefef to do more than 3. Because the success rate is low after 3 IUIs.This is what my doctor told me.
    I don't know how others feel about it.but my suggestion would be to go for IVF without any further delay. Age is the key here dear. And ur husband's count seems lower for IUI too(4mil..I guess 5mil minimum is suggested).But IVF would bypass this issue.
    After age 35, ivf success rates starts falling down too. Its not only from internet. I saw from my IVF batch itself,age does play a role.
    If you are against higher end treatment like IVF, you can go for the natural remedies suggested by ladies here. Just don't give up. This too shall pass!! Don't forget that!!

Diya789, Elsa and jillcastle like this.
  9. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

I have decided to go for another IUI. For some reason, IVF scares me. I am hesitating to go for an IVF, because it is sooo expensive!

10. Hope2017

Hope2017 Junior IL'ite

I'm 31 husband 32 will b completing 5 yrs of marriage this yr family pressure ,self doubt all together never seen 2 pink lines trying from 3 years reports are normal with little pcos n 2 failed iui thinking wat shd b d next step