1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Of Gen Alpha Vs Screen Time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by blindpup10, Feb 24, 2017.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

What is screen time to you and your children? Gen Alpha ( kids born after 2011) are used to screens from the time they are born, be it a tablet or smartphone. How to raise a Gen Alpha kid's when there is screens everywhere. Be it news, educational & learning or entertainment or simply looking at the time, who has an actual clock anymore?

I know this topic has been talked before-- I once again bring this up because few positive improvements in my life---
    Improvements- My DS of 18 months gets 0 screen time. He has been cut off screen time for more than 4-5 months successfully. Now we do a lot of reading, scribbling, play till my DS drops or till I get tired.
    Pros- As there is no screen time my DS is more engaged with me and now wants me to be with him during all his play time.
    Cons-My DS would play by himself (before)doesn't really depend on me to be next to him or the needed to catch a glance if I am not around.
    My question is by cutting out screen time--- Have I created a habit that I am there no matter what situation?? Will this cause him to be dependant on me throughout childhood? Is this behavior cause of cutting out screen time or its just separation anxiety?

I was asked what is my DS fav character- I point blankly said- he doesn't have any, coz he doesn't get screen time. The person who asked me was shocked and said what else does my DS do.:shocked::shocked: At 18 months, kids have a fav character? That was a shocker for me.

Few of my friend's kids ( also belong to Gen Alpha) are a bit older than my DS who are of age 3-4 they have a fav character they like to watch on Youtube or PBS or Netflix. I am just wondering how will my kid with no screen time mingle with children who talk about favorite characters or shows?

I am going to share couple of articles which says TV is bad for age 3 and below

Why to Avoid TV for Infants & Toddlers
    TV and Kids under Age 3 . Articles . Children and Media . PBS Parents | PBS

-- but it is not even doable to completely cut off children from screens. So my question to you ladies----
    How should we raise our children with so much entertainment all around? How much is too much? How little of screen time is too little?
    Do kids really learn anything from TV? Is it worth letting kids watch TV? How to teach them not to indulge in too much TV? Should we as parents make sure about the time limit or should kids say it's enough? Will kids ever say it's enough of screen time?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    madras2018 likes this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I feel they really learn from tv especially in America where we have more control to show what we want.

Plus nothing wrong in showing kids good movies.Its how you use it and what you show.

Secondly,my kid watches 15 mts tv in the morning and evening maybe one hour 7-8.Mainly about good stories,or even entertainment like paw patrol.How you use it is important.

I read somewhere upto 2 hours is ok but you don't need to.

Another thing I believe is too much taboo is a wrong thing.Let them get exposed but you have control over when and how much.

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

I wont limit screen time to 0 for my kid because he learnt a lot, lot from really good quality toddler apps, I am SAHM, but busy with household stuff/trying to figure out stuff for my career and now I am pregnant with our second child...
    our home is full of all sorts of toys/learning crafts, cars etc, he keeps switching from one toy to another, go upstairs play in his room, each of our room has toys scattered all over...when he is bored he comes down watch ipad (youtbe kids) for some time, play the toddler apps, like there some that have taught him awesome words, he knows how to put together an ice cream with layers, that we need to clean up after everything, ABC...Z and 1 to 20 he did not learn from me but from watching youtube kids..... I have let him free..when he needs me he comes to me, I spend time with him...When I am in kitchen, he wants to play by my side, he makes a load of mess in kitchen with all sorts of mixing dals/namkeen/biscuits in bowls, I let him do that...during summer time, his screen time would be close to 30 min /day as he likes to play outside.....in winters during good days it totals to around 2 hrs/day but some really bad days when I am sick or tired and HUbby coming late, he would be glued to it for more time.....right now I cant help it as I am pregnant in third trimester, I try to arrange as many playdates but who wants to step out in horrible cold weather...

dont worry about not giving any screen time....download really nice toddler apps (good learning ones), he will be bored watching youtube kids soon...

blindpup10, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It's very tiring when they make a mess..I can do understand.Sometimes,to protect your sanity screen time is fine.especially I understood it will be tiring to deal with the first kid when pregnant with the second.By the congratulations and how many months :)

Meet9 likes this.
  5. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

these days even if I give him screen for my sanity, he wont be on it for long, I think he has got bored of it, he wants me to play with him else go out..if the weather is good I take him out in the evening..else I play with him within my safety means...
    Its tough for me physically these days, I am going to enter 8th month this week..but I have very bad sciatica pain, I need to wear a belt, Its almost not possible for me to bend..so hubby has to face a "fish market" sort of home every evening, not to mention the kitchen floor full of all sorts of things thrown all over.... we are locking bathroom as I cannot take chances slipping in bathroom and my toddler loves to play in bathtub and throws water all around.... sorry for the vent.... for few months, both me and hubby are giving up on clean home, and let our toddler what he wants to..most probably my mom should be here, she is going for visa renewal in couple of weeks, parent B2 still valid but renewing as its expiring in august..:)

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I think you should not worry about housework now and start resting more.Take care and let us know about the baby once you come back to IL after delivery.God bless

Meet9 likes this.
  7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Op, I allow my Gen Alpha kids to watch TV/PC (DVD or youtube on smart tv) to max 1 hour per day (fixed time ). Other wise it is difficult to manage every thing by myself. They learn a lot of things from youtube kids videos, dora etc.. I asked their doctor about it. She also told us to limit time if possible below 1 hr. We use it as a disciplinary tool, if they listen and do their chores only then they get screen time. Their favourite character keeps on changing with age like dora,george, peppa pig etc.But I don't give them any tablet or mobile phone. I noticed that they are getting very possessive and fights for it . So I stopped giving those. We encourage them to play inside or outside home instead of watching something all the time.

blindpup10 likes this.
  8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks! I am still around on indus ladies, my delivery is not until April end, hopefully!

blindpup10 and anika987 like this.
  9. blindpup10

First of all Congrats on your second baby.
    Second of all thanks for guiding me through some amazing tips. I checked out the youtube kids. Its pretty cool. Please dont mind if I pick your brains a bit.

I am amazed that your kid learned things by watching. Can you name a couple of apps that was helpful?
    Is 18 months too late/ early to introduce tab? Does it have an impact on speech delay? My kid is a late talker-- he communicates what he needs by pointing out or by crying or nicely asking "mamma". Comparatively, my kid doesn't know more than 6- 8 words for his age. So my theory in cutting down on screen time initially was-- DS will be engaged more with us and pick up words. Now not even sure if I did the right thing.

I will talk to my pediatrician next time on what they think about the screen time-- but just feel so much guilt as a parent to let my kid sit in front of a tab.

All the studies come to my mind and I start to question the whole integrity of being a mother :hollering:

10. blindpup10

@DDream - You have raised a good point- children get possessive over things. Especially with a single child, I don't want to raise an entitled brat. That was the other reason why I cut off the tablet. Heard horror stories of my cousin's DS having his own "laptop" few other possessive behavior and again he is the only child.

Do you play youtube on tv? When do you let them have screen time? During lunch, they request you or after homework?
    How do you manage with educational apps? Like meet9 has suggested any ideas to help kids ease into the idea of not getting possessive or feel entitled.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017