1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

International Mother Language Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Lol Nonya, its a literal translation, so it sounds crude..

Hero is a pilot.. So, he comes via the sky.. Vaan- sky. Varuvaan- will come.. You get the drift....
    Only after seeing the song in the context of the movie, I can interpret the other 'when he is with her, he will think of me only'.. He will think of me always is the meaning I took!

To be honest, I never realised the hidden meanings.. Here, I want her to enjoy it..(am red in the face)

Reminds me of the translation i did for my kannadiga friend for she liked the song 'vaseegara' and wouldnt listen to the hindi version!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Good Grief ! Here I was thinking that Tamil gals are hot and steamy !! Heading for huge disappointments in real life !!

suasin likes this.
  3. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

I am hot alright, in the face!!

Nonya likes this.
  4. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Thamarai writes beautiful songs from a girls perspective IMO. Vairamuthu sometimes, make us go red in the face.. But then we have been asked 'how did you get your periods' in loudspeakers. Maybe I should have not mentioned songs in the first place.

Will not further derail the thread..Nonya, someother day about our songs..

Nonya likes this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

OK.. I shall take that as a promise. Fantasies are good in creating good turns of phrase in a language. :thumbsup:

suasin likes this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS,

Speaking from my personal experience, I can vouch for the difficulties the students undergo, while switching from schooling done in mother tongue to higher education where the mother tongue hardly finds a place of pride. Majority of students who come from rural areas where they study in their mother tongue find this switch stressful and the subjects taught beyond their reach of comprehension . Attending job interviews, communication is a problem unless one is fluent in English, and is capable of airing his views precisely. So my perspective is that even though children could learn to speak and write their mother tongue at home, English should be the medium of instruction in all the schools throughout India. A thought provoking snippet indeed.

Agatha83

joylokhi likes this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

here is an English medium training class....:wink1:

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nonya likes this.
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It is heart warming to know that you want your daughter to learn Tamil. It is not necessary that she should achieve proficiency to write 'venbas' and 'alabedais'. Knowledge to understand simple Tamil and to read and write is more than enough for her.
    PS

suasin likes this.
  10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Hi PS.... Thanks for your message. Now that their comic books are translated into many languages, their pictures are getting more well known.

Aside from Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji, the comic books, and the internet has given us emoji characters also. Young people are using more of these instead of actual words.

For example , emoji of a cake, or a gift-wrapped box are used in Asia as representing Birthday, and the pronunciation for this character depends on whether the person is japanese, korean, chinese or Mongol.