1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Family Tree

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Suryakala
    Are you by any chance an English teacher? Who else remembers and talks about Vicar of Wakfield and Oliver Twist today! In my college curricula a Shakespeare play and a classic English novel are a must as part of the English syllabus. I invariably came last in the class in this dreaded subjects but when I was time for coaching my daughters in them, I developed some interest. I would have become addicted to them but for the fact that PG Wodehouse took over my literary life completely.
    You seem to be up to date in the details of money spinning games. For your information, cricket is a money spinner only in India and that too, it is a recent phenomenon!
    The information regarding Punguni Utharam is new to me. Even at 75, a man is not even half informed about his own native customs!
    Sri

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    There is one Telugu scholar, Garikipati Narasimha Rao. Orator, sahasraavadhani

ItR
    Dear Cheeniya sir and
    Dear Cheeniya sir and PS madam,
    If you like music competitions can I suggest you one more programme? There is one programme in TTD Channel 'Annamayya pataku pattabhishekam" conducted by Keervani and a Telugu singer Sunitha.It is a Telugu programme but music is universal. The singers sing only Annamacharya kritis. But that programme is very good. Saturday and sunday 8 P.M to 10 P.M. Really good. Try once. SPB sings good but I rate him only next to Ghantasala.
    I watch a couple of Telugu serials. Snakes serials are the latest trend in Telugu as well. I think they may be same in Telugu and Tamil. Nandini, saptamatruka etc.. I have a phobia for snakes...even pictures in a book, or plastic ones. So, a big No for those serials.
    In UK still They still consider Test matches as the real scale of a good cricketer. In school play grounds we see them playing in full white attire.
    Syamala

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

My PC is not cooperating with FBS. While typing the content disappears suddenly and sometimes even before clicking post reply it appears. No chance fot corrections. Sorry. It is confusing. Excuse me.
    Syamala

4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Cheeniya Sir,

No, no, no I was not an English teacher! In those days these were the famous so called Non- Detailed Study Novels for English curreculam! One Shakesperean Tragedy and one Shaksperean comedy were also there in the graduation! That's how Madras Presidency produced scholars like 'Sir Radha Krishnan, Rajaji, Alladi Krishnasamy Iyer, and the greats who could teach English to the English!

As an Indian, I am so happy to see India dictating terms over the developed countries at least in the world of cricket!

I wish by God's grace you are OK to take a trip to the southern districts of Tamil Nadu with Mrs. Cheeniya in March-April 2018 to see the Panguni Uthiram celebrations in almost every village! It will be amazing!

5. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    Music is boundless. I watch many TV programmes featuring well known singers in all languages. I have a special taste for Telugu songs for Telugu and Music are made for each other. I grew up listening to the songs of Saint Thyagaraja whose critis are all in Telugu. My second sun-in-law is a Telugu guy from Eluru and whenever his mother comes visiting us, she invariably plays the Telugu music channels. This has further enhanced my taste in Telugu music.
    There is a singer by name Kalpana (Ragavendra) whose songs take me to a different level. Her dad Ragavendra is a movie star.This girl won Rs 1 crore in a music competition conducted by a Malayalam music channel. She is a regular singer in Telugu channels too and she draws huge crowds. I don't know if you have heard her. I give here a link to a song sung by her which makes me crazy.

I don't know why you were so worried about post missing me. It is true that the cite becomes unreachable in the evenings particularly but I don't miss any posts.
    I presently watch the Test between India and Australia and curse myself for my laudatory comments about Test cricket!
    Sri

shyamala1234 likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear suryakala
    You have created great interest in me for The Panguni Uthiram festival and with the Grace of God I hope I can witness it one day.
    When stories are given to me in the name of 'Non-detail', I automatically develop a distaste for them. But when I read them much later in my life, I find them fascinating. Once such novel is 'Lost Horizon' by James Hilton. I found it absolutely fascinating when I read it as non-'Non detail'! I developed a taste for even Shakespeare when I read them much later. When Macbeth was my Non-detailed, I yawned when I read the opening 'Fair foul and foul is fare' but the same lines years later drew me like magnet. I found the movie in the early '70s extremely gripping.
    As I respond to your take on India ruling world Cricket, they were 99 for six requiring another 342 runs to win the First Test!
    Sri

suryakala likes this.
  7. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Yes, Cheeniya Sir the IPL auctions always remind me of slave trade. There is a difference of course. Roots is also one of my favourite books. Slavery has always existed in human society and IPL auctions is a variant :)
    Regards, Lakshmi

8. Cheeniya

Dear Lakshmi
    Thank you for the feedback. IPL auction is very much a form of slave trade with the difference that the player taken on auction always has the last laugh particularly when he plays well below expectation. Today I saw a miserable performance by the Indian team against the Australians. Test match is a different cup of tea in which Australians excel.
    Men who collect hefty dowry do not realise that it is so demeaning. I can never approve of this practice.
    Sri

9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I find your senile ramblings much more alive than the ongoing Indian Australian match in which Indias performance was pathetic. The worst part of the scenario was that I was a passive audience to my DHs seething comments, the entire day, about the Indian players.
    Internet and mobile communications has brought distances closer but not relationships. I fondly recall those days when my grandparents had warm relationships with their siblings irrespective of their financial status. Nowadays even If I have to make a personal visit to my brother I have to make a call, confirm it and then visit him. So much for bonding! Please continue with more of your senile ramblings which is far better than my so called 'enlightened' snippets!

Regards, Agatha83

10. Cheeniya

Dear Agatha
    Whenever I read a response from you, I often think that you should have named yourself Dahlia and not Agatha. You are as lively as Dahlia and not a stick-in-the-mud like her sister Agatha of Bertie of PG Wodehouse! I liked your passive participation in the Indian show yesterday against Australia. Your DH's seething comments are wasted on a bunch of non-performers who are more bent on milking the sponsors dry than trying to win the match. Today the newspapers were passing seething comments about Kohli collecting Rs.47 lakhs for a flood relief advertisement!
    The great explosion in modern communication has made relationships so artificial and robotic. I am able to well relate to your grandparents' days. I have myself been a part of that distant past. I recall with love how my maternal uncle in a village allowed us to drive the bullock carts in my childhood. Those bullocks were more responsive to the driver's intentions than the modern cars! I remember how the bullock carts used to collect the garbage from the streets in the '40s. Those bullocks would stop near all the places where garbage was heaped!'
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation of my rambling. Awfully kind of you indeed!
    Sri

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017