Career Change Advice

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by desilady13, Feb 23, 2017.

1. desilady13

desilady13 Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies! I am considering a career change and need some advice from folks who have done that before. Just a little background about me - I am a mom, an engineer with 10 years of experience, a MS degree from Penn state and a BE (Electrical) from Auckland, NZ. I have always been a bright student in all classes and though engineering was an obvious choice (as is for most of us Indians), it was for me too. And I did enjoy it quite a bit. My first job was back in Auckland when I lived there and then I came to the US and did my MS in Architectural Engineering with a lighting design major. I work in the AE (Architectural engineering industry) and work in designing distribution systems along with power, lighting design for c commercial buildings.

I used to be extremely excited about what I do and to tell folks about my industry since not many Indians are into this field. However, long story short, over these past 10 years, I have really lost interest in what I do. I rarely get to work on anything significant, anything that makes any impact..or at least that's how I feel. It's sometimes the same thing day in day out with 40-50 works put in each week and over time expected. It is not my company I currently work for I know, but almost any firm I have been with. Add to that, minimum PTO's, time sheet system, no working from home options - all of it along with no interest in it anymore really want me to change my career....

I am 35 now and wondering what other options might be out there for me to make a career switch. I have to add, in the past year I have also started my own photography business (I love photography) and its been one year officially. I work part time as a family photographer. The pay is less, but there is flexibility as well as love for the job!

Ideally, I want to do something 3-4 days a week and work 28-30 hrs a week and rest 1-2 days devote time to my photography. I have considered an MBA, but do not want to spend an extra 50 grand on any education anymore. Something cheaper will be good...I have heard many engineers getting into financial planning and law. What exactly does that entail? How do you make a switch? What qualifications are required?

Thanks all and I really appreciate any advice from people who switched careers.

2. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Have you quit your job already? If not, Try to bring this up in your meetings with your manager. Ask him if he can let you work for fewer hours. You might have to take a pay cut and probably give up hopes on getting promoted as well. Or talk to your HR. It would be a good idea to see how it works. You can always go back to working full-time if you get bored.

Photography is good too, I am not really sure how to make a career out of it.

I would not suggest you the general IT, management options as you have written that you are not willing to go to school again

3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Have you explored university jobs/teaching in your specialty?

4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

OP, Just my 2 cents.

You are following your passion of photography. Doing it part time while doing your day job is awesome.

You have spent considerable time in your line of work and now want to change the career. Then why not continue doing something you love? many of us are looking for trade off between flexibility and pay. If you like what you do, it will definitely not burn you out or bore you like a traditional job.

But if you have interest in CFP or Law or something like that, do consider the time it will take to learn as well as master the new skills. For initial few years you may not have the flexibility while studying or establishing yourself. Also the pay may not be guaranteed. That being said, only your passion for new career will help you stick with it long enough to stay to reap your rewards in the new field.

Do you want to try a couple projects/ volunteer work in the new field of your interest, just to see what " a day in the life" looks like in that field? Many a times, it helps in getting a direction.

Good luck!

5. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I switched from IT to a design field . When you find your passion you don't care how many hours you have to put in. But keep in mind that when you change your field you are starting from scratch , ground zero again. That means in the initial years you need to put in a lot of time and effort to gain expertise in your profession unless you are naturally very talented in that . Rather than switching to some field which is completely new , I would suggest you to switch to a field where you are not a complete newbie . For the kind of work life you want , have you considered teaching ? Maybe you can work In sales for lighting company as you are already familiar with the product . If you enjoy photography why don't you do it full time?

6. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

Good luck Desilady13