1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. bemera

bemera Junior IL'ite

i joined this thread in the year 2009 then i left without my knowledge i do not know....suddenly today i thought of recollecting this forum memories and joined again.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HI @bemera
    happy to have you.
    I think you are mistaken about the thread. perhaps some other thread with similar title.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Here are two videos that show how we may be wasting time in the kitchen /or anywhere else and reducing efficiency in the process. The second video shows corrective measures.

Prash29 and Madhumagie like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

:) shows that the man ought not to go in the kitchen and try to make something for someone else.

While he was waiting for the toast to come out, he needed a toy called "The South Dakota Humdrummer". It is made of wood. A cam-shaft that can be rotated with a handle, has four wooden fingers riding on it. When the Humdrummer is placed on a flat surface, and the handle is rotated, the fingers drum the surface...pinky-ring-middle-index, in sequence. The faster you rotate the handle, the faster the fingers go. Couldn't find a youtube video on the thing. The closest thing is a human drumming on the table top -- but he is not as steady as the mechanical humdrummer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:) I'll take the jest in the spirit it was given.

Only wish you did not make light the information that was conveyed via the videos which is the real essence of this thread, and which helped me tremendously in my balancing act.

Madhumagie likes this.
  6. swathi27

swathi27 Silver IL'ite

that was indeed a super clip....I apply myself to the first video...where I pamper myself by doing nothing and enjoying fully the wait time the toaster has gifted...

I am trying to reform my lazy self after seeing all you wonderful super women..

here is one way I use my idle time while grinding idli mavu in mixie...i wipe the mixie all around..thats the maximum I could think of after squeezing my brain..

kkrish likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:) LOL. You are so funny.

8. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

hi all !
    i was a regular in this thread few years back but left for some reasons
    also i was not able to access the site at work.
    now i can access at work and was just wandering through the site when i came back to this thread & it evoked some strong memories:blush:
    now both kids are at school & i have hired a cook in the morning & evening.
    things are somewhat under control:flushed:
    alright , now i dont have to cook for the entire family , though i make lunch for both DDs.
    reading through pages of posts above made me realise i laze around most of the time:expressionless:
    but now a days after sending the kids to school, i have started going for a walk /playing badminton in the morning. if nothing , i dust the home, water the plants, run the machine etc.so that by the time i leave home for work, my home looks somewhat presentable.:p. well not all days, most of the days.
    evenings i get back by 7pm, fold the clothes,, straighten up the home, get the kids to do their homework, make them eat their dinner( this one activity consumes y entire evening) & put them to sleep by 9.30pm max
    i have to lie down with then & many days i end up sleeping before themo_O
    but now after going through your posts, i am so motivated, i have even completed two long pending jobs at work.
    kudos to all the women who do so much work wihtout any complaints:cheer:

chithirainilavu and kkrish like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @gorgeous23
    Welcome back.
    Very happy to read your input.

If you are able to employ a cook and free up your time does not mean you are lazy. That is good.
    Delegating work is also key to time management. We cannot all do all the work single-handed.
    Determining what to let go and what to keep for yourself is also key to time management.

You mention your children are going to school now. Involve them in folding clothes.
    First ask them to fold towels, roll socks and put them away.
    Increase their participation till you make them fold their clothes and put them away.

You have inadvertent brought up a key aspect.

I used to complain and wallow a lot in self-pity once upon a time.
    One day my American co-worker mentioned that when her daughter complained about doing the dishes she said "the only way to thank the Lord for the food she ate is to wash the plate she ate from and clean the dishes that held the food and stop complaining!!"
    That sent me thinking. Put it the way this lady said or put it the way Lord Krishna said, "do your duty"... complaining did not reduce my responsibilities. It only made them appear burdensome. Constant complaining also held the danger of turning me into a bitter woman.
    I decided to change my attitude towards fundamental housekeeping.

Once it became a show of gratitude for the things I enjoy, the chores became lighter and even enjoyable.

10. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

yes krish mam
    now i have started getting the kids to help in small jobs, though they are only 6 & 4 yrs old.
    but i have found that most of the time when i ask them to help me with housework, they feel so important & proud of themselves:D & race to see who gets to complete the job first.:p
    thanks mam for your encouraging words. yours & other posts in this thread were instrumental in getting through the earlier phase when i didnt have any help with two samll kids & full time job

also, you mentioned flylady in one of your posts & now i am an ardent fan of hers. her philosophy & emails have helped me change my entire thinking process towards house work. & her emails are free with many practical advices

thanks again for introducing me to flylady:blush:

chithirainilavu and kkrish like this.