1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problems With Myself And My Dad

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Satyavatee, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Satyavatee

Satyavatee New IL'ite

Hello! I'm an Indian girl of age 21. I live in Maharashtra. I'm doing M.A in English currently. I live with my father only at home, I don't know my mom because my parents got divorced when I was a baby so I've never spoken to or seen my mother, nor has she bothered to make any contact. I used to have my grandma but she died 5 yrs ago so now it's just me and my Dad. For the past 4 yrs I have been having some issues with myself and my father. I used to feel very sad for my Dad because after he got divorced from my Mom, he married twice. But both the times he got divorced. So I used to think my father is a very good man but was betrayed by all 3 women in his life, I mean my mother and the other 2 women from his last 2 marriages. But now I have discovered just how difficult it is to live with my father and now I feel that the real fault lies with my Dad. No wonder he got married 3 times and all 3 women left him eventually. Each of those women are happily married now. I never understood this truth as a child because for every child her father is a hero. But now that I have grown up and started to understand things about my father, I find that he is a very selfish and a cunning man. He only looks out for his own selfish ends and never understands me. For eg. he has a severe anger displacement problem, he removes all the frustration of his work out on me. But if I do that he screams and shouts at me.
    He never talks to me about anything except his worklife. I have to listen to him all day as he keeps talking about his new business and the future prospects to expand his small catering business. But he will never ask me how my day was at college or how I'm feeling. When he finishes whining and complaining about his work, he tells me to get out of his room as he is feeling tired and sleepy. He never reciprocates by asking me how things are going on with me. When I complain to him about that he angrily says that I don't take any interest in his work affairs and that he would never talk to me about it again. It is never my intention to hurt his feelings but he makes it look like I'm selfish and interested in only my affairs. I return talking and apologising to him only to be insulted by him all over again. Whenever he talks about me, he only finds faults in me. He is always criticising me endlessly and he always discourages me by saying that after he drops dead, I will not be able to live alone in this world. The truth is that without my father I have absolutely no family member or relative. My mother abandoned me years ago and I have no contact with her or her family. In fact she is already married to another man and looks after his 2 girls who are actually my mother's step-daughters. My daddy knows this very well so he is always discouraging me and demotivating me. He says that I'm good for nothing and after he dies, I'll never be able to survive on my own without him. The truth is that I'm 21 yrs old so I can move out of my Father's house and live alone as well. But I'm very emotionally dependent on him. I feel very scared that I will go into severe depression because of loneliness. I have no money or a job to live on my own because I'm still a student finishing her post graduation. I'm financially and economically dependent on my dad. Since I'm the only child I have no brother or sister to give me guidance. My father knows this fact very well so he always uses it against me, he is always trampling down on my self-respect. His idea of fun is making fun of me, he is always laughing at my mistakes and mocking me. He only uses me to entertain himself. I'm not good at housework and cooking either, due to this I'm very afraid of getting married. My father leaves me alone at home all day. If I have college for few hours, I feel good as I can be away from my house but during holidays I have to stay alone at home all day. I feel very lonely and lost. I have very low self-esteem and I suffer from insecurity. I have no friends I can talk to. I have a few classmates in college but most of them are married so they don't mix around with me much. I think I'm already suffering from mild depression because I just don't have the heart or the enthusiasm to do anything. I have become very lazy to even take bath or keep myself clean. At my age, all young girls love to dress up and keep themselves fashionable and good-looking but I don't find the will or the energy to do so to myself. My dad grew up in a very poor cheap locality in Mumbai that's why he never got a chance at education. He has no toilet manners and due to the fact that he is a tobacco addict, he always spits his tobacco out on the toilet seat and does not even bother to pour water. His language is also very disgusting because in every small arguement or fight he is habituated to use foul words and he is a compulsive Mc/Bc word user. He is very uneducated and has simply done odd jobs all his life. That's why I can never tell him about my depression. He would never spend a penny to send me to a guidance counsellor. My father has made me a bank account in my name but I still have to ask him for money. As an Arts student I love reading novels but my father always frowns when I ask him for money to buy novels. He is even unwilling to buy me my college books. He is extremely stingy like my grandmother was when she was alive. He has started a small new business recently and it's not very profitable as my dad always keeps complaining and whining about his business to me. Due to being low on cash, my dad is never happy on giving me money to buy new clothes. He hands me the money but makes such horrible faces, maintains such cold stern silence that I feel ashamed in asking.
    Over all I want to be free from the toxic, twisted relationship with my Dad who has started to see me as a burden. But I'm fearful about living alone because I don't even know the important worldly matters.I don't even know how to change the gas/cooking cylinder. When he and I are fighting, he deliberately screams and shouts out abusing me very badly and points out my flaws loudly for all our neighbours to hear everything. Whenever I appreciate my father for his cooking skills and his hardworking efficient nature, he always reminds me how poor I'm at cooking compared to him and how much I need to learn from him. He never fails to remind me how inefficient I am in his comparison. He never fails to insult me and I'm tired of it. I don't have anyone to speak to as I live in a very selfish reserved neighborhood. In our building every family is concerned only with their own house matters so I don't want to approach anyone there and feel unwanted in return. What should I do???

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...there is no point judging your dad on his divorces now.

You say he is not educated and is not financially sound ...so that could be the reason for his tight fist.

He has started a new business which is not doing well...he works hard for you both,where will he vent if not to you?Try to understand him .

Op you are no longer a child...please learn to be independent.

Your dad is a good cook.Show interest in learning from him. You can learn to cook from watching u tube too.
    Your father works hard so you have to stay alone on holidays. His catering business is not a 5 day week job.
    Why don't you take care of home and cooking during these days.Show him you are willing to take responsibility.

Learn to keep the house clean. Learn to clean the toilet.If he sees a clean toilet...he may feel like keeping it clean.

Your dad is not educated,but you are.
    Ask him if you could help him with his work.Try to help him out .

His talks about you being dependent on him are true.You are dependent on him and he probably is trying to get you to change in his stupid way.He does seem to be a rough man.May be wants you to be independent soon so that he can stop worrying about you.

When he is in a good mood ,tell him you feel embarrassed by his crass language and request him to be considerate towards you.

Op......your only way out from your life is.....
    1)Work hard and get independent financially. Once you start earning and can give relief to your dad...he will start respecting you.
    2) You need to get some friends who can be your support system.
    3) You need someone to emotionally bond with with other than your father. Getting married will give you that family you miss .For that you need to take care of your self.
    Start exercising,do yoga.....that will help you in becoming a healthy person. Start taking care of yourself .You don't need lots of money to become a charming person.When you feel and look good....you will be able to star showing interest in finding someone for yourself.

Op....don't think about your life as half empty ,think of it as half full.
    You don't have just a father...you have a father all to yourself . Your father may be crass ,uneducated and rough...but he works hard to give you food ,shelter and education. Just like you have only him...he also has only you .

Best wishes op....make changes in your life,one step at a time. Change your fathers opinion about you.

3. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Please bear with my short responses. Running short of time but would like to suggest you something. It might sound rude due to lack of sweet words, but I do NOT mean to be rude.

1. Find a part time job. You dont need a PG degree to find some part time job and start earning - receptionist, home tutoring.
    2. Dont buy novels, borrow from a library instead.
    3. Work out, that helps you to be strong mentally and physically - you dont need to go to a gym , walking in fresh air will help a great deal.
    4. Take care of your hygiene and well being.

Being 21 and doing a PG is not as young and vulnerable age as you probably are assuming. You are stronger and more capable than what you think about yourself. Please take charge of your life. You are a major and are a woman - not a minor girl.

Meghaa likes this.
  4. liya1984

liya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Absolutely agree . This is the same advise i will give you. BE INDEPENDENT. At first it will be scary and you will make a lot of mistakes but eventually you will find a way.

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

you are in such a tender age where you still need parents support, love and affection and also may try to be independent. you need financial support and moral support to be independent. Is it possible to get married to bring changes to your life?
    Please give me PM if you want to talk in person. I can call you , because you said you are feeling lonely and may want to vent out.

6. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Hi a PG student is very much capable person. You can and should move out. Start looking for a job,make friends,invite friends over,good friends can be sometime better than family..

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hi Satyavatee,

My strong recommendation would be to start looking for options to make yourself independent.
    1. Financial independence - you can check with your college lecturers itself for any job possibility. I started working from my 2nd year in college (Tamilnadu) as a lab-attender for courses conducted by my college in the evening just to be independent (My parents would have been happy to send money for my education, but I wanted to work, to reduce their burden).You can start by doing anything on your own. If your dad asks for money, give, but not more than 50% of your income, saying you need for books or practicals etc.
    2. Friends - Try and start with a smile and a Hi. You need to have some humanbeings in person for your emotional stability.

Both above will be the best place to start. Once you accomplish above two, you yourself will have more confidence in you to steer life in the right direction.

Regards,
    JM

8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

So he is financially tight, new job and 3 times divorced and responsibility of raising a girl child...Thats reason enough to cause bitterness in one's life.
    Uneducation or toilet manners - not every man on this earth has that and that does not make him bad father..come on. You can not choose you parents so have to live with them.
    He is your only relation. If you move out or show bitterness to him, who you going to depend on. Both of you need each other.
    Its difficult to teach parents.
    I think focus on your education and provide some financial support to him in his business or extra job.

You are lost or lonely when he is away. It is difficult to change that. You can involve your self in some work or hobby.

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

It appears that getting economically independent (financially independent) is the ticket, for anyone who feels like a punching bag in the family. Getting there requires hard work, planning and perseverance. Good luck.

In the meantime, enjoy a laugh with a POEM (professional organization of English Majors) skit:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

This is post from Dec. After 1 post op is vanished.. why are we responding after 3 months???

iamsrihere likes this.