1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your Experiences, Learning, Memories When Taking An Infant Or Toddler To India Trip

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Avanti30, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

HI Girls,
    We are deciding to take our baby to India trip so I am reading about the tips and things to take care when traveling to India with an infant. I read some tips on IL too.
    I understood that preparing for the trip, living in India with parents, with in-laws and relatives, and again the journey back home are all different phases in the India trip.
    Your experiences can help a lot. What things annoyed you, what were the smartest things you did, the care you took, the time when you lost all your patience, times when you enjoyed and celebrated, what you should have done to make things better, things that you insisted on doing being a mother etc
    Can you girls share your experiences, learning, memories about your India trip with an infant or toddler ?

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

jet lag may affect a lot, make sure kids are rested well and eaten well and give few days to week to settle with jet lag. take videos when the all family sits together and spends time with kid. Ignore elders comments if any related to your parenting style and theirs, as long as you know you are doing good with kid. If not sure take their advises too

Avanti30 likes this.
  3. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

very well said

4. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

@KashmirFlower
    A lady who lives in my neighborhood in India has already started pouring in advice through what's app messaging. One of my major focus would be to keep calm, say "YES" to everyone's advice, suggestions and do whatever I feel correct or know better.
    I am preparing mentally that people will criticize my parenting style, but I need to stay cool.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Please ignore neighbors by smiling, if they go on and on.

6. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

HI All,

We had a successful India trip recently with my little one. Successful in the sense no major concerns for the baby and parents, enjoyed our trip, got back safely and now trying to build up healthy routine. Baby is recovering from jet lag. Sharing my experience and the things we did during our journey and the trip. We delivered the baby without any help from parents or in-laws so wanted to introduce the baby to India and relatives.

We debated for a long time whether to go to India or not. My point was that we had our routine set and I didn’t want to disturb it. Going to India means new routine, new conditions. A new mom in me was afraid to try something new. We struggled a lot to establish a routine. However, I agreed to one point of my husband that it is better to travel when babies are young. Because they adjust quickly and they are easy to handle on the plane. This point made me think and I decided to start my research for the mother of all adventures trip. Age of baby plays a major part in traveling because it limits the scope of things to look after. My baby was 20 weeks old when we set foot on the plane. At this age, take care of their food, their tummy, make them comfortable temperature wise and they are happy. As they grow they understand the things, recognize their parents, and it may get difficult to adjust various places. This is my personal opinion.

we did following things--

1. Book plane seats with Baby Bassinet

2. Plan and organize baby food

3. Plan your luggage

4. Take diaper and wipes

5. Give water to the baby

6. Distribute things in your bags

7. Carry a baby carrier, car seat and stroller

8. Take care of baby’s food and sleep cycles

9. Try to fit in as a mother

Book plane seats with baby Bassinet— Check with your airlines about baby bassinets. We booked plane seats with baby bassinet. Confirm the bassinet seat before travel. They are a relief for some time, at least. You can put your baby in the bassinet and she can sleep or sit or play in it. Carry some swaddle blanket or warm fluffy blanket to put in it.

Plan your luggage- We took one bag for feeding. Filled it with formula can, formula dispenser, thermos for warm water, baby bottles. A small backpack as a diaper bag. Placed diapers, changing mat, baby wipes. Put some pairs of changing clothes ready and handy. Take bibs, burp clothes. We placed the small backpack in the feeding bag itself. Usually, one check in bag and one carry-on bag per person is the standard for all airlines. We had 3 cabin bags. One was feeding bag, another had baby clothes and the last bag had few documents and laptop. However, we experienced that some connecting flights asked us to check in one bag giving some or another reason. Do not panic, be prepared to prioritize and check in

Plan baby food- We took baby formula and bottles with us. Boiled the water while giving milk. We took gripe water, pacifiers, baby bottles, a can of prune juice in case baby was constipated. I was supplementing baby with formula. I got 3 anti-colic bottles and 3 Playtex bottles with drop-in liners. My baby used to get fussy when feeding with Playtex bottles, so had to fall back on using 3-4 antic-colic bottles. My suggestion is that do not introduce anything new during the travel or trip try to use as much as familiar things for the baby and you. Baby may or may not like the change. Go with what baby likes and what you find comfortable.

Diapers and wipes- We went to India for a month and it was during the time when summer was ending and monsoon was about to start (June). We got diapers, wipes, changing mat for the baby. My baby developed diaper rash after a week. She started scratching around the diaper area and I could see rash developing. I didn’t take baby rash cream due to my overconfidence. I regretted it. There are plenty of rash creams available in India. I applied an aloevera gel and a nycil powder for the rash. It took care of the rash.

Give water to baby- We asked our pediatrician if the baby will need any extra water to be given because of traveling to the hot country. He said no need. But my observation and experience was that baby was thirsty and a major part of water was getting absorbed in sweat. So we used to give 5-6 droppers of water. Boiled and filtered water. We took Brita filter with us. She passed her stools without any grunting and much efforts as a result of good water intake. I think babies do need some water when in India at least.

Take a comfortable clothing during travel and when in India. In my opinion, wearing a footsie that covers baby completely is ideal when on the plane. Keep some bodysuits and pants handy too. Keep 1-2 hats for baby in case it gets cold in the plane. Do get summer caps for the baby they will protect the baby from the sun.

Distribute baby food, diapers, wipes clothes equally in all bags. We lost one bag when arrived in India. It cost us more time on the airport, could not give food to the baby because of mosquitoes everywhere at the airport. As a result, the baby cried all the way from the airport to home. We came to know later that our bag has been misplaced, someone took our bag as his own. Our bag was delivered at home in the morning. Thanks to the person who recognized the wrong bag and contacted the airlines about the same.

Take a baby carrier and gate check-in car seat and baby stroller. It helps to have a car seat and stroller during the travel and in India. If you are like me, traveling with a baby in the cab then car seat helps a lot. I agree there is no base then how can it help. Just think it as some comfortable familiar place for the baby. As per my experience, I didn’t regret for a second for carrying car seat to India. Take a baby carrier because it helps baby to calm down and settle down to sleep quickly. I even traveled on two wheeler with my baby in a carrier.

If your baby has a lot of hair, think about cutting them short before going to India. My baby had a lot of hair with considerable length on her head. Hair kept coming down on her forehead, before her eyes. She kept scratching head due to the heat and absence of AC. Before coming back to the US we got a hair cut for the baby. It helped her to stay cool.

Take care of baby’s food and sleep cycles no matter what the circumstances and events are. I would like to describe one experience. We had a strict policy of not taking the baby anywhere to relatives’ place, if anyone wanted to see the baby they can come home for the same. Some relatives wanted to meet the baby but didn’t want to come home. So the plan was to meet together for dinner at some hotel. I was not in favor of the plan. My husband could not say no for this plan decided by relatives. I was worried because there was no changing place for the baby, didn’t have a quiet place to feed baby in the hotel. Baby’s feeding and changing were being compromised. I expressed my concerns but when they were not taken seriously I decided that if needed I will take a cab and get home by myself. I understood immediately that the baby’s comfort and convenience was not the focus. I took all the necessary things for the baby. We were ready for another adventure. When it was actually time to leave home to a hotel, baby dozed off. People said so what, let’s take her like that. I strictly said NO. I was happy to be with my baby alone than going to some get together that compromised my baby’s comfort.

Try to fit in as a mother- Understand that people, kids, everyone want to play with your baby. You will have to develop mixture of sweetness, strictness, diplomacy. As a mother you will take time to settle down, give yourself that much time. I was angry with all noises that awoke baby, the dust, the heat. But in India these are normal things. I used to take my baby out for a small walk dressed in body suit only, because the heat, diapers were already enough for baby. I remember the onlookers on the road used to ask me why are you taking baby out like that get her something to cover her head, put on socks, sweater for her. This was when it was sunny and humid. I used to smile and say thank you, I will do. In reality she was already feeling the heat.

cliona and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

That was a detailed write up about your experience ! Will surely help all the new moms that are making their first trip to India after the baby . Thanks !

Avanti30 likes this.
  8. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite