1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech Delay And Transition To Us

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by KrinuKavya, Feb 17, 2017.

1. KrinuKavya

KrinuKavya New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    My 3 year old son's speech is a year delayed(other milestones are upto the age).. he was diagnosed with Expressive Language delay(Speech delay).. he is attending Speech therapy for a year now from when he was 2 year old.. still he has only few words..
    Now we are moving to US (Rhode Island)in another 2 months.. We are much worried and confused about this decision.. what is the procedure there to enroll my son in Speech therapy sessions? Will it be time taking? From where should I start?

TIA dears.

2. KrinuKavya

KrinuKavya New IL'ite

3. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

OP, As soon as you get to US find health insurance and pediatrician for your son. Let the pediatrician know about your kid's development and based on that Paed will direct you to Early intervention or school district. Even though your kid already has a diagnosis from India(if i am not wrong) doctor, the school psychologist here will do an evaluation by coming to your home and you will be given services accordingly. Mostly you will get services within 2 to 3 months of applying it. If they feel its just a speech delay you will get only ST twice a week else you will get school 3 hrs in addition to therapies.

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry, Doctor and schools work together and you being aware and by asking and clearing your questions, they really help and kind in every step

sindmani and KrinuKavya like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry didn't read this earlier. With respect to services - just across the state line from RI is MA where services are much much better than RI. It's a different school district and a much better one. It isn't too far from ri and lots of people stay in MA for the school services. When you look for an apt to live I suggest you look for a zip code in MA. I don't have specifics with respect to particular schools but early childhood in MA is really good. With an expressive language delay, your child can get placed in a PPCD class. It's a preschool with services and a class room. I think the length of the day depends on the needs of the child but speech is provided in school. In addition, you should also look for private speech therapy twice a week. Insurance does cover it for certain specific cases. It depends on who your insurer is and what your employer plan details are.
    For school services, once you get here and have your rental agreement, call the elementary that your zone feeds into and they will direct you to the pre school services. Even with a DX from India, school will re-assess and provide services. You don't need a pediatrician's referral for that. You do need one for private speech therapy. You also probably need vaccination records for school. Do make sure you bring that from India.

Good luck! I've seen many kids with expressive language delays pick up and measure at peer level within a year or so with just ppcd and two private speech sessions a week.

6. KrinuKavya

KrinuKavya New IL'ite

Thank you Laks. My husband is already there in RI now rented a house. and talked with special services. They asked to proceed once the child reaches there. Will try to move to MA bfr we reach there.
    My worries are that if he will struggle coping with language and accent there. Hoping and praying he shouldn't have much trouble.

sindmani likes this.
  7. KrinuKavya

KrinuKavya New IL'ite

Thank you pearldrop. So for those 2 or 3 months I can look for private speech therapy rite? Much worried about how long he will take to cope with their language.

sindmani likes this.
  8. KrinuKavya

KrinuKavya New IL'ite

Thank you KashmirFlower. Reassuring.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Hi,Private speech therapist here will charge anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars per hour and i don't think so its affordable for single income family at least in my case. Also with this health plans you have reach the deductible amount for say 3k or 4k and only then insurance will pay 80% and you will pay 20% in that case you can only pay copay amount which will be just 40 or 50 dollar. You may get details from the above poster if you wish to start private therapy as soon as you reach here as i have no clue about it.
    My suggestion would be make your son join in kids play gym where he will get to know about kids here with play time and circle time. Take him to park and also there will be free mommy kids classes enroll in that until he get services and start school.
    Relax dear. I know how it feels right now with tons of questions and worries. Trust me once you start the process it goes smoothly, you will learn a lot in this journey.

sindmani likes this.
  10. KrinuKavya

KrinuKavya New IL'ite

Hmmm heard private therapist charges heavy.
    Yeah after coming there only I can see how my son improves. Till then fingers crossed.
    Thank you so much dear. Your words are boosting confidence.