1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is "marriage" Outdated ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Feb 13, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I see some girls/guys amongst my relatives or even friends who are almost 30 or more,some even above 35 not married.They have a good career,friends ,confident and happy.
    These days no one seems to be in a hurry to get married and even if they do,they wait to get kids and these days ttc has become very common.

I remember my mom getting tensed in getting me married and I was only 23 lol.Plus when I became 27 and still did not have kids,she was literally crying in all temples.Within few years how things have changed!!

I see some threads where women are ttc and wanting kids so bad,many in and out of relationships,so many affairs, sometimes makes me think if we are getting married just coz we think "this is how things are supposed to be and how the society works".

No marriage is perfect.There are bound to be tolerance,sacrifices,fights etc.By the time we are done with all this,we end up with what?These days the truth is we prefer nuclear families and people with or without kids seems to be all alone in their old age.Hence no difference.

Many women and men seems to be so clear in what they want these days.Some get married and voluntarily decides to not have any kids so that they can spend their time,money and energy on themselves.They enjoy life to their fullest and even when they are old as I mentioned what difference nowadays does it make between people who have kids or don't?

Again,there are people who do not get married and are fiercely independent and people like them can survive very well in old age.Makes sense.

And then there are people who are in live in relationships or even friends with benefits.Infact,I appreciate these people rather than the ones who resort to infedility after marriage and ruin the happiness of their spouse and kids.

I am happily married to a wonderful guy.I do not have a booming career as of now but marriage worked well in my case.However,I would say "marriage is a gamble" and in my case I won.

However,with so much happening nowadays,is marriage and kids worth all the hype??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Umanga, Srikanth1540 and dc24 like this.

2. Diesel72

Diesel72 New IL'ite

Hit and miss.
    No reason to marry early as you could meet lot of people in your life. Everyone wants to take time.

Bestmom and anika987 like this.
  3. Jlisabell

Jlisabell Bronze IL'ite

Most of my single friends are single not because they want to be. They have reasons such as haven’t found the guy with right horoscope yet, break up, career etc. There is break up even after engagement.

So, when they do get married, sometimes it gets hard to get pregnant due to age factors. Marriage market is getting tough out there.

As for me, I married the love of my life. Even with my great career, being a wife and mom is what makes me happy. Maybe I will be alone when I get old. But, the life now matters.. Those hugs and kisses from the tiny people in our life is so worth it :)

dc24, mercyanburaj and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm I like the way you said "those hugs and kisses from the tiny people are so worth it"..true that

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Why is marriage within quotes in the title of this thread ?
    As an institutional invention for various purposes (development of agrarian societies, economics, social-order, security etc..) the scheme called marriage had evolved in its various forms.

One could be amazed at the list in wikipedia, of the various types of marriages. My all time favorite is something called Morganatic Marriage. A marriage between persons of unequal societal standing, or wealth. And the name is perfect for childish echolalia. This kind of marriage is often the cinematic theme in desi movies... bollywood, kollywood and everything in between.

As these few posts had said already, Marriage is good, when it is deemed good.
    It isn't when it isn't.

Jane Austen, who wrote a lot of marriage novels had this to say.

Diesel72 and anika987 like this.
  6. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

A colleague of mine is from switzerland and her parents got married when she was 12. Otherwise for all other purposes they were like a married couple staying together. I wondered why in such an open minded society they decided to get married after being together so long when there were no as such any special benefits to married couple. She said they got married so that she could get a proper name, although i m still not clear what she meant. Just wrote this case to give an idea how deeply instilled the idea of marriage is. Personally i am ambivalent about the concept of marriage. Especially since the rigid rules of society make it a bondage sometimes

anika987 likes this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Weddings are nice to have. Family and friends come together, behave (for the most part), have a nice meal (or a few meals), and catch up on things.

Marriages are suffered by the couple who have decided to enjoin their assets together, and see what happins.... to their assets, psyches, and everything else in their lives.

Marriages work best when there is a huge (adequate? acceptable? mutually agreed upon ?) amount of feduciary responsibility about conjoined assets. If not, they are a drain on the emotions of the participants.

Marriages are most certainly more confusing than this message. ;) It ought to scare the heck out of those who contemplate that.

blessings1010, Rihana and suasin like this.
  8. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Do you mean, like a cold shower? Dont think, jump in??

How much you read girl? How much you retain!!!! Do you quote in real life too? Sometimes I feel reading you is like listening to KamalHassan..

anika987 likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Shower ? Jump in ? No... you should never jump when you have no idea about whether the floor of the shower stall is concreate or slippery mosaic. You jump into pools of water, when you are assured of some depth. Not too deep, not too shallow, but just right for your heft/weight, like Goldilocks would have it.
    What quote ? What retain? Those are originals.... When you reproduce, you make sure that you mention the copyrights to Nonya, the malaysian mixedup. :tonguewink:

Rihana and suasin like this.
  10. OhReally

OhReally New IL'ite

There is a very interesting book called "Silent Wife" which deals with this very topic. What happens when you live with the love of your life for decades without the stamp of marriage? When everyone you meet presumes you are Mrs so&so and behaves with you the same way, when you cook for your long term partner, look after his needs and do everything a married woman does, but at the end does it make a difference? Its an eye opener for the protagonist of the book as well to the readers.

anika987 likes this.